How to find invertible matrix and diagonal matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an invertible matrix P and a diagonal matrix D such that D=P^(-1)AP, where A is given. The student is attempting to find the eigenvectors for the eigenvalues of A and is struggling with putting one of the equations in homogeneous form. They are wondering if the order of the eigenvalues matters and if the eigenvectors need to be aligned in a specific way for the equation to be valid.
shellizle

Homework Statement

Find an invertible matrix P and a diagonal matrix D such that D=P^(-1)AP.

A=
(−1 2 −2)
(−2 3 −2)
( 2 −2 3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the eigenvalues are 1, 1, and 3
the eigenvector I've found so far is for the eigenvalue 3, which is t(1, -1, 1)
when i was attempting to find the eigenvector of 1,

i did (1*I-A)(x), and then reduced the matrix to

(1 1 -1)
(0 0 0)
(0 0 0)
and in polynomial form it would be
x+y-z=0

how am i suppose to put this in homogeneous form? x=(a, b, c)t

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
shellizle said:

Homework Statement

Find an invertible matrix P and a diagonal matrix D such that D=P^(-1)AP.

A=
(−1 2 −2)
(−2 3 −2)
( 2 −2 3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the eigenvalues are 1, 1, and 3
the eigenvector I've found so far is for the eigenvalue 3, which is t(1, -1, 1)
when i was attempting to find the eigenvector of 1,

i did (1*I-A)(x), and then reduced the matrix to

(1 1 -1)
(0 0 0)
(0 0 0)
and in polynomial form it would be
x+y-z=0

how am i suppose to put this in homogeneous form? x=(a, b, c)t

thanks in advance!
Your equation x + y + z = 0 will give you two solutions that correspond to the two eigenvectors you need for this eigenvalue.

x = - y - z
y = y
z = ...z

So (x, y, z) = y(-1, 1, 0) + z(-1, 0, 1)

y and z are parameters. For one eigenvector, choose y = 1, z = 0. For the other, choose y = 0, z = 1.

yeah i tried that,
our assignment is online based and it tells you immediately if its right or wrong..
however I've tried everything but nothing works!
does the order for the eigenvalues matter? (x1, x2,and x3)
does the engevectors have to be alligned in a specific way for A=PDP^-1 to be valid?

The order of the columns in your matrix P (and hence P-1) determine where the eigenvalues appear where in your diagonal matrix. Is that what you're asking?

1. How do I determine if a matrix is invertible?

To determine if a matrix is invertible, you can calculate its determinant. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible. Additionally, a square matrix is invertible if and only if its columns are linearly independent.

2. How do I find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method. This involves transforming the matrix into reduced row-echelon form and then performing back substitution to obtain the inverse matrix. Another method is to use the adjugate formula, which involves calculating the adjugate matrix and dividing it by the determinant of the original matrix.

3. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all elements outside the main diagonal (from top left to bottom right) are equal to zero. The main diagonal contains the non-zero elements of the matrix. Diagonal matrices are useful for solving systems of linear equations and for finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.

4. How do I convert a matrix into a diagonal matrix?

To convert a matrix into a diagonal matrix, you can use the diagonalization method. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and then using them to construct a diagonal matrix. The process of diagonalization is only possible for square matrices.

5. Can any matrix be converted into a diagonal matrix?

No, not all matrices can be converted into a diagonal matrix. Only square matrices that have a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors can be diagonalized. This means that not all matrices have a complete set of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and therefore cannot be converted into a diagonal matrix.