Global Warming & Climate Change Policy

In summary, the forum is announcing a policy of banning all topics related to global warming and climate change indefinitely. The ban will go into effect on Jan. 11th, and members who are currently involved in global warming and or climate change threads have until then to wrap up discussions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:General_sanctions/Climate_change_probation/Requests_for_enforcement" , so why can't physicsforums? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Wikipedia's moderation in this regard has become quite suspect. Wikipedia is a good, and sometimes excellent, source for non-controversial, mainstream science topics. Things start going downhill in areas where the science is not fully developed or where science, politics, and religion interact.

Likes PeterDonis

D H said:
Wikipedia's moderation in this regard has become quite suspect. Wikipedia is a good, and sometimes excellent, source for non-controversial, mainstream science topics. Things start going downhill in areas where the science is not fully developed or where science, politics, and religion interact.

Not only that... the fights that go on behind the scenes over moderation and administration and so on at wikipedia make our little disagreements here look like a group hug.

Not to mention that they are trying to do something rather different to what physicsforums is about: it's not really comparable.

Cheers -- sylas

D H said:

The interesting thing is that in such cases were there are controversies, the Wiki-articles become biased toward the scientific opinion, despite the fact that everyone can edit Wikipedia, despite the fact that the wiki-Admins have different views and despite the fact that only a small fraction of the wiki-contributors and Admins are scientists who could theoretically have an agenda.

The problem in a nutshell:

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/point-counterpoint.jpg

Climate debates, on both sides, tend to degenerate to "Jane, you ignorant slut".

For the wikipedia moderation on climate issues, it may be revealing just to google 'wikipedia climate moderation' to judge whether or not it might be biased.

Last edited:

Mark24 said:
Who decides if the person responding to an inquiry is an expert or not? You? This sounds like an appeal to authority, and science should not be subject to that. Science should be able to stand on its own based upon the evidence. IMO, this attitude demonstrates the whole problem with the AGW debate, and it has been exemplified by the arrogance shown by climate researches in the hacked e-mails toward people who voice any degree of skepticism.

But this is a fallacy. I can give you all the raw data from, say, a photoemission experiment and argue with you that this is why your modern electronics work. Now, are you able to then correctly analyze and decipher such "evidence"? How long do you think it would need, to study the physics of photoemission spectroscopy for one to be able to know enough not only how to interpret such evidence, but also to know all the various details and intricacies so that one is aware of the limitations and conditions under which the evidence was obtained? At some point, YOU have to appeal to some authority that your GPS works the way the experts tell you it should such that you can depend your life on when each time you fly.

It is utterly amazing that people seem to think that the data from various climate studies are THAT easy to decipher, and that everyone and their grandmother have the expertise, not only in statistical analysis, but also in geology and climate physics. It is insulting to that field of study that one really doesn't have to learn anything to be an "expert" in that field.

The National Research Council, an arm of the Academy of Science, commissioned in 2006 the http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11676" of all the published work related to climate change. I challenge anyone here to point to a more comprehensive review than that. Would you have not only the expertise, but also the patience and the resources, to study and collect ALL of the evidence THAT meticulously? Let's get real now because this is the "authority" that you are questioning.

And using Al Gore as a scapegoat is weak. The only people who considers him as an "expert" are the type of people who considers Rush Limbaugh as an expert in politics and social policies. They both deserve each other.

We ALL depend on the decisions of authorities that are more knowledgeable than us in many areas, whether you are aware of it or not. To somehow single out this very issue while ignoring the others is extremely deceptive.

Zz.

sylas said:
At the same time, I think this topic is deeply rooted in basic physics,.
This is the reason for the heatedness and circular nature of the arguments imo. Basic understandings of matter and gravity are not yet complete and watertight. The climate models don't marry-up with the weather models. Only when the climate models can reproduce the Arctic oscillation data can you say that they are properly validated imo. It's a fun topic which anyone can participate in with around a years intense interest and study of scientific papers..Shame to miss it.

aspergers@40 said:
This is the reason for the heatedness and circular nature of the arguments imo. Basic understandings of matter and gravity are not yet complete and watertight. The climate models don't marry-up with the weather models. Only when the climate models can reproduce the Arctic oscillation data can you say that they are properly validated imo. It's a fun topic which anyone can participate in with around a years intense interest and study of scientific papers..Shame to miss it.

The argument over climate change has nothing to do with "basic understandings of matter and gravity are not yet complete" (whatever that means)! Can you cite one specific issue in which this has come into play?

The complexity comes in because it is a situation where many factors come into play to varying degree. The various climate models aren't "exact" not because of our understanding of matter and gravity, but because these non-linear phenomena requires a lot of parameters, many of them themselves depend on past observations.

Zz.

Likes PeterDonis

Gentlefolks, we aren't meant to be debating the climate matter here. The question before us is rather: do we want to have a place for this discussion, and if so, under what general principles can it be managed?

Cheers -- sylas

aspergers@40 said:
I'm making a completely different point, in support of the same final conclusion. I am saying that climate science is rooted in basic physics that we do understand very well indeed. But our differences on that are not the point here. The question is how should our discussion be managed.

I don't see any good reason to say we may not discuss our difference of opinion in the forums, with firm application of the guidelines on actually using properly credible scientific references. Mere opinion, from either of us, won't cut it. The goal of the forum is to help people learn about the current practice of science.

It is more than merely a shame we cannot discuss this. It is a failure of the forum. It's not the end of the world, and a break may help the staff have a needed rest and then perhaps find a way to do better. We still have a host of other active and valuable discussions so I'm not blowing this out of proportion. But it does mean that on this matter physicsforums has decided, for now, to give up; and this is an admission that we have failed.

The fundamental problem, in my view, has been the divisions within staff. Disagreements within the staff on the proper answers in climate and on the trustworthiness of scientists working in this field has prevented the staff from working effectively together on this one topic.

There are, of course, all kinds of open questions in climate science. There are also basic discoveries, grounded in well understood physics. It is not particularly difficult to tell the difference between basic foundational discoveries and tentative solutions to open questions, if you are willing to trust in general the competence and honesty of scientists publishing in this field.

It is possible, in principle, for the whole of some active field in science to be founded on a misconception. That applies for EVERY field of science, and it should not make a blind bit of difference for the need to learn about the current state of science. If the current state of some field of science is all messed up, then it will eventually get fixed, and it will be fixed by people who actually understand the current state of science.

It is not the place of physicsforums to identify which fields of science are flawed in such a sweeping way, or to propose resolutions. What we do here is discuss the current state of science in practice. This already includes the work of minorities in science who are making sweeping proposals against a much larger majority.

ZapperZ said:
The National Research Council, an arm of the Academy of Science, commissioned in 2006 the http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11676" of all the published work related to climate change. I challenge anyone here to point to a more comprehensive review than that.

ZapperZ, we probably broadly agree on how to approach this issue, but you are mistaken.

That NAS report is a very useful resource, but it is very tightly focused on one narrow little part of climate change; the inference of historical changes by proxy data from the last two thousand years. It does not consider the big issues of what is causing the recent increase or the physics involved in causes of climate change, or a host of other matters. It's about measuring one little aspect of climate change (temperature only) and then only over one limited span of time and without any more than passing reference to causes. It's a careful look at one tiny part of climate science.

The more comprehensive reviews that covers the whole field are the IPCC assessment reports, and the latest report (the 4th, from 2007) is already linked in a sticky thread at the top of the Earth science forum as a standard reference. Even so this report is not complete. It is specifically focused on those aspects of climate science that address questions of relevance to policy makers.

No one review, not even this IPCC report, sets out one true set of answers that discussion must be based upon. Indeed, each successive report has taken into account published work since the previous report that argued for changes in methods or conclusions from the earlier report.

Our gold standard at physicsforums is not one review, however useful, but the practice of science... including that minority of working climate scientists who may have quite drastic disagreements with the IPCC reports. But if staff members simply think that this whole field is riddled with incompetence or dishonesty, then that is highly disruptive, since the proper goal of physicsforums is the study of the actual practice of science.

If all staff were willing to acknowledge that the great majority of published work is honest and competent; and that legitimate criticisms of existing conventional scientific theory can manage to get published eventually by someone; then the problem is solvable.

Cheers -- sylas

Likes PeterDonis

Andre said:
For the wikipedia moderation on climate issues, it may be revealing just to google 'wikipedia climate moderation' to judge whether or not it might be biased.

It may be biased toward keeping out sceptical fringe opinions. But the interesting thing here is that there are plenty of climate sceptics among the Wiki-Admins. So, if there is some form of censorship, it is due to the wiki-system itself, not due to some Admins who are fans of Al Gore imposing their will on Wikipedia.

Last edited:

sylas said:
ZapperZ, we probably broadly agree on how to approach this issue, but you are mistaken.

That NAS report is a very useful resource, but it is very tightly focused on one narrow little part of climate change; the inference of historical changes by proxy data from the last two thousand years. It does not consider the big issues of what is causing the recent increase or the physics involved in causes of climate change, or a host of other matters. It's about measuring one little aspect of climate change (temperature only) and then only over one limited span of time and without any more than passing reference to causes. It's a careful look at one tiny part of climate science.

The NAS report had a very narrow and specific target - to look at ALL the published data and see if there is any trend in global temperatures. It wasn't a review of "the whole field". I've looked, and in terms of a comprehensive and meticulous collection of evidence on this very matter, I haven't seen any better. Have you?

NAS reports tend to go for specifics issues, because if not, it would be too cumbersome of a study since they tend to do this meticulously. For people who still question if there really is a "global warming" (and we all know there are plenty out there), one would think that this collection of evidence would be something one would pay attention to.

The difference between NAS studies, and IPCC is that the NAS has a very prestigious and respected track record. People often bashed the IPCC as been "political". It is difficult to do the same type of bashing to NAS based on what they have produced so far for all their studies through the NRC.

The whole debacle and confusion with AGW is that, one has to fight so many different battles. There are those who deny that the Earth is in a warming trend. So you have to fight that. There are those who say that yes, there is a warming trend, but it's part of a natural cycle. So now you have to fight AND those who said there's no warming. And then there's those who claim that there is a warming trend, and that an anthropic cause isn't the source. Etc...etc. The NAS study is meant to address the first issue. Until that can be well-established, it is difficult, and one can even argue that it is moot, to fight the other battles.

Zz.

sylas said:
Gentlefolks, we aren't meant to be debating the climate matter here. The question before us is rather: do we want to have a place for this discussion, and if so, under what general principles can it be managed?

Cheers -- sylas
We all want a place for the discussion. That's for sure. All the members appeared to be managing themselves rather well on both sides of the debate I thought. Everything was going okay as far as I was concerned..

ZapperZ said:
The NAS report had a very narrow and specific target - to look at ALL the published data and see if there is any trend in global temperatures. It wasn't a review of "the whole field". I've looked, and in terms of a comprehensive and meticulous collection of evidence on this very matter, I haven't seen any better. Have you?

On climate science generally, the IPCC reports are far more comprehensive. But on the specific question of reconstructing temperature from proxies over the last 2000 years, I agree that this review is the hard to beat, and probably the best.

NAS reports tend to go for specifics issues, because if not, it would be too cumbersome of a study since they tend to do this meticulously. For people who still question if there really is a "global warming" (and we all know there are plenty out there), one would think that this collection of evidence would be something one would pay attention to.

I was simply disputing the previous description of this as the "most comprehensive review of all the published work related to climate change". I was pointing out it was actually on one much more focused and specific issue. You are now confirming that; and I agree with your paragraph above.

Yes, you should certainly point to this report, as long as it is actually relevant to a particular thread. The report is, as you note, dealing with a specific issue. If the topic is the "hockey stick" reconstruction, then this is an essential reference.

Getting back to the question of how to manage discussion in this potentially contentious subject, I believe one of our major concerns should be helping our members keep threads focused on specific topics.

For example, if a thread is about a skeptical paper proposing low climate sensitivity, then replies should be related to sensitivity as well, and even better should be specifically focused on the actual argument and evidence described in the paper. It would be inappropriate to reply that global warming is real because of proxy reconstructions; that was not the topic.

Similarly, if a thread is about proxy reconstructions over the last 2000 years compared to the rate of temperature increase over the twentieth century, then it would be inappropriate to reply with a skeptic paper about an alleged dominance of solar activity on trend. It is just not the same topic.

The load on mentors for this task can be kept manageable, I think, by having a couple of other people who are interested in the topic (regular members should be fine) encouraged to keep reporting topic problems. Having people with different views on climate engaged in this would be a positive advantage.

One thing I have felt in the past is that I really don't know what happens with my reports. I am not sure if they are appreciated or whether I should scale back or report more often. I've ended up deliberately trying not to report too often, for fear it isn't helping. Some feedback to people making a report (which I have received once or twice) might help either encourage the kind of reports that are useful and let members know what reports are not needed.

The difference between NAS studies, and IPCC is that the NAS has a very prestigious and respected track record. People often bashed the IPCC as been "political". It is difficult to do the same type of bashing to NAS based on what they have produced so far for all their studies through the NRC.

It shouldn't matter, I think. I do not believe that physicsforums should single out one reference as definitive. Giving some resources in a sticky thread is useful, but for management of discussion we should stick to a generally stated guideline which works across all the different areas of science: the published scientific literature.

In my opinion, anyone who merely dismisses any of the NRC or the NAS or the IPCC because they think it is "political" is failing to stick with the guidelines. If some poster believes there is a problem in a scientific hypothesis, then that should be addressed on its own scientific merits. This applies for responding to skeptical writings or NAS reports or IPCC reports or anything else.

I think it has been good that people have tended to cite specific published papers on some issue of interest. The IPCC report works very well as a comprehensive reference to help find related literature on almost anything in climate science that is likely to crop up, frequently also for finding the minority view points. It might also be handy to have a sticky thread with a list of general review papers or reports, like the NAS report on proxy reconstructions, to give a survey of work by many scientists related to a particular topic. Review papers are very useful for learning about a focused topic, and I have a number that could be considered in this way.

The whole debacle and confusion with AGW is that, one has to fight so many different battles. There are those who deny that the Earth is in a warming trend. So you have to fight that. There are those who say that yes, there is a warming trend, but it's part of a natural cycle. So now you have to fight AND those who said there's no warming. And then there's those who claim that there is a warming trend, and that an anthropic cause isn't the source. Etc...etc. The NAS study is meant to address the first issue. Until that can be well-established, it is difficult, and one can even argue that it is moot, to fight the other battles.

To be honest, I think the importance of the hockey stick is often greatly overrated -- and I can back that up with reference to well established climate scientists saying so specifically. The problem is that it doesn't do much at all about finding causes. It gives a correlation based argument, in that the sharp rise at the tail of the stick aligns with the sharp rise in greenhouse gases. But correlation based arguments are very unsatisfying. We have a much stronger physically based reason for identifying greenhouse gases, which goes back to work predicting the effect well in advance of its measurement. Alas, I am now diverging into making an argument over climate again, sorry!

It seems to me that as staff, we should be able to manage a lot of this relatively easily -- as long as we get all the staff on board with agreed common ground. That won't include a single perspective on AGW, and I don't believe it needs to.

• Identify an agreed set of battles that we DON'T have to fight. This has been done in other areas of science, and it should definitely be done here. I've proposed a brief list of such topics... one of them is the idea that there is no actual warming. Threads on trying to argue for this are best deleted immediately, or locked, as "overt crackpottery".
  • Stick to focus. There are many points to discuss, and as long as it can be done using adequate references, this should be okay. What you don't want is for every thread to expand and cover every topic.
  • Stick to the guideline on proper referencing. Ideally, no thread should ever start out with a controversial claim having no reference. A controversial claim, in the context of physicsforums, means one that is not obviously known to have good published scientific support. It's not good enough to wait until someone challenges and the original poster gets around to making some kind of case. By default we should encourage such threads to be reported, and either delete, lock, or add a mentor advisory post instructing the poster to give support within, say 24 hours, or the thread will be deleted.

Do you think strategies like this would be workable? As a mentor, you have a better insight on that than me. I think it's going to be important to have something that does not require all staff come to agreement on the actual substance of global warming and climate change; but agreement on a policy for managing this discussion may be possible, given a bit of time without the hassle of actually having to manage it right away.

I'd like us to reopen this topic, eventually, and I think there is enough support for that to make it worthwhile to see how it can be done.

Cheers -- sylas

I'm not making the argument for the hockey-stick figure. In fact, after discussing with many climate scientists, such figure can only be a supplement to the various climate models.

I am one of those who stopped caring about the Earth forum for at least a year now. To me, the diligent moderating and monitoring that is being done with the physics sub-forums have not and could not be done with the Earth forum due to our lack of expertise in the area of climate science. We could boast several working physicists for the physics forums, both in the Mentors and in the participating members - we could not find even one for climate science.

So because I stopped caring about it, I see no loss for this forum if that topic is not catered to. That makes me the last person you want to ask for an opinion on how to moderate that topic.

Zz.

I'd rephrase the first part of this.
Science is frustrating. There are more variables than scientists and more questions than answers.

... except that I don't find it frustrating. I *like* living in a complex world with a depth of detail that leaves no apparent end to the questions and no easy path to answers. Science is fun, and difficult, and worthwhile, and makes progress with no apparent end point.

Why single out climate? What about cosmology, or anthropology, or medicine, or a host of other examples we could mention? I don't think there is anything particularly different about climate that makes it in a class of its own. Each field of science has its particular problems. If they didn't science would be much easier -- and more boring.

The difference is that the average person has to make decisions about climate change when they consider the policies supported by politicians they may or may not vote for, decide how much sacrifice in extra money/reduced lifestyle they may or may not be willing to accept, etc. And the average person has to make these decisions with few qualifications to decide which info they get is true or bogus.

GW/CC is more relevant to decisions we have to make today than cosmology, anthropology, etc, which is exactly why it generates much more heated discussions than other sciences.

And that also makes it sad that it's relevance, and the discussions that go along with that relevancy, make it a topic beyond the capability of PF to discuss.

aspergers@40 said:
We all want a place for the discussion. That's for sure. All the members appeared to be managing themselves rather well on both sides of the debate I thought. Everything was going okay as far as I was concerned..

I wholly agree.

This was the only place on the web where the two sides actually engage in constructive dialogue.

Skyhunter said:
I wholly agree.

This was the only place on the web where the two sides actually engage in constructive dialogue.

You have been shielded from all the posts that were deleted, and all the hate mail that we got. It does look pristine and nice on the surface, doesn't it?

For a forum that is only a VERY SMALL PART of PF, it required an inordinate amount of moderation and argument.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You have been shielded from all the posts that were deleted, and all the hate mail that we got. It does look pristine and nice on the surface, doesn't it?

Yes, it really has been working pretty well for users of the forum -- and since Greg has allowed for regular users to comment, I think we should allow that their perspective matters. I appreciate that there have been problems behind the scenes.

For regular members of the forum, the situation in these discussions has improved considerably over the last year, with an influx of contributors who really do have a good level of familiarity with the state of science in climate, and who have given some good high quality engagement. By high quality, I mean actually using proper references, as is expected, and actually explaining what those references are doing rather than just spinning them to some amateur perspective or trying to undermine them as a way of reforming the practice of science.

• Xnn stated posting just over a year ago, and has quickly become a great asset.
  • I stated on this subforum in May, and have been appreciated as a useful contributor by readers of all perspectives.
  • joelupchurch joined in May, and has done a great job in sticking with substance and valid references.
  • chriscolose joined in May, and is a strong contender for the single most technically competent PF contributor in climate science; very strong on actually working with the literature and with working scientists, and with explaining underlying technical and physical theories. (But unfortunately does not have a great number of posts.)

I'm sure I missing others; and I note that I am not considering longer term contributors. It's not enough to be well read in a substantial amount of background literature and theory; it is also important HOW people engage. The above are examples of people who have been mostly an asset in that regard as well -- though none of us is perfect, of course.

The other thing that has happened is a new stronger policy, which was intended to deal with the problem that mentors are not able to judge quickly whether a proposition expressed in a post is grounded in the practice of science or is an ungrounded misunderstanding. The principle is simple; controversial claims must be supported from the literature.

One of the major problems is that this policy has not been applied consistently. It has definitely helped, and it would help more if applied more. I've said a number of times that having a genuine working climate science on hand would be very useful, but that I am quite sure this is not really your biggest problem. Don't get me wrong -- it would be very nice to have. But it is far more important to have a set of understood and consistently applied guidelines, which will STILL need to be stronger than in other forums, simply because of the heat this topic can generate.

If you guys actually let hate mail stand in your way of giving a good education resource on a hot topic of science, that's appalling. But I think there is a lot more to it than this.

Furthermore, I do know it has been very hard on mentors, and I support the idea of taking a break. But I think that
  • given that the forum HAS been working pretty well
  • given that the topic IS one of considerable interest and importance (even if you disagree with AGW completely it remains important because of policy implications)
  • given that there are a substantial number of members and staff who would in principle like to find a way to manage the topic better
it is legitimate to hope that the ban might be temporary and that some solution might eventually be tried and the topic reopened. People who don't have an interest in it should not be impacted by this; everyone has their favourite topics to engage.

Cheers -- sylas

sylas said:
Yes, it really has been working pretty well for users of the forum -- and since Greg has allowed for regular users to comment, I think we should allow that their perspective matters. I appreciate that there have been problems behind the scenes.

For regular members of the forum, the situation in these discussions has improved considerably over the last year, with an influx of contributors who really do have a good level of familiarity with the state of science in climate, and who have given some good high quality engagement. By high quality, I mean actually using proper references, as is expected, and actually explaining what those references are doing rather than just spinning them to some amateur perspective or trying to undermine them as a way of reforming the practice of science.

• Xnn stated posting just over a year ago, and has quickly become a great asset.
  • I stated on this subforum in May, and have been appreciated as a useful contributor by readers of all perspectives.
  • joelupchurch joined in May, and has done a great job in sticking with substance and valid references.
  • chriscolose joined in May, and is a strong contender for the single most technically competent PF contributor in climate science; very strong on actually working with the literature and with working scientists, and with explaining underlying technical and physical theories. (But unfortunately does not have a great number of posts.)

I'm sure I missing others; and I note that I am not considering longer term contributors. It's not enough to be well read in a substantial amount of background literature and theory; it is also important HOW people engage. The above are examples of people who have been mostly an asset in that regard as well -- though none of us is perfect, of course.

The other thing that has happened is a new stronger policy, which was intended to deal with the problem that mentors are not able to judge quickly whether a proposition expressed in a post is grounded in the practice of science or is an ungrounded misunderstanding. The principle is simple; controversial claims must be supported from the literature.

One of the major problems is that this policy has not been applied consistently. It has definitely helped, and it would help more if applied more. I've said a number of times that having a genuine working climate science on hand would be very useful, but that I am quite sure this is not really your biggest problem. Don't get me wrong -- it would be very nice to have. But it is far more important to have a set of understood and consistently applied guidelines, which will STILL need to be stronger than in other forums, simply because of the heat this topic can generate.

If you guys actually let hate mail stand in your way of giving a good education resource on a hot topic of science, that's appalling. But I think there is a lot more to it than this.

Furthermore, I do know it has been very hard on mentors, and I support the idea of taking a break. But I think that
  • given that the topic IS one of considerable interest and importance (even if you disagree with AGW completely it remains important because of policy implications)
  • given that there are a substantial number of members and staff who would in principle like to find a way to manage the topic better
it is legitimate to hope that the ban might be temporary and that some solution might eventually be tried and the topic reopened. People who don't have an interest in it should not be impacted by this; everyone has their favourite topics to engage.

Cheers -- sylas

Chris Colose the student at Hudson Valley Community College that runs that blog?

Last edited:

Evo said:
Chris Colose [...who...] runs that blog?

Yes, that is correct.

I suspect he won't mind this being clear; but let's be careful about physicsforums expectations for privacy. If he has not given that information himself then we should be cautious about identifying him so clearly. He has linked to his blog as part of his contact information, and uses his real name, so I don't think it matters in this case; but I am just concerned about the principle here. Ad hominem attacks and worse are a problem in such a charged topic and this is a legitimate reason for anyone to prefer not to have their personal details too open.

Can I suggest we edit out his school? If he chooses to release than information, then it would okay. Until then, not.

Chris is a student of this subject, not a professional. He's a very good one, IMO. He has not ever claimed special status; his ability should be judged on its own merits and his posts have been excellent for substance and understanding of the subject matter, and for good use of valid references.

Cheers -- sylas

Last edited:

sylas said:
Yes, that is correct.

I am sure he won't mind this being clear; but let's be careful about physicsforums expectations for privacy. If he has not given that information himself then we should be cautious about identifying him so clearly. He has linked to his blog as part of his contact information, and uses his real name, so I don't think it matters in this case; but I am just concerned about the principle here. Ad hominem attacks and worse are a problem in such a charged topic and this is a legitimate reason for anyone to prefer not to have their personal details too open.

Chris is a student of this subject, not a professional. He's a very good one, IMO.

Cheers -- sylas
It's online and a quick google on him brought that up, although you and I discussed him some time ago as not being someone that we can consider as having any sufficient background, which is why I am rather surprised to see what you posted.

It's public knowledge Sylas. If he had registered anonymously that would be an entirely different story. We would never divulge a member's hidden identity.

We are looking for actual climate scientists, not just people that enjoy it as a hobby.

Last edited:

Evo said:
It's online and a quick google on him brought that up, although you and I discussed him some time ago as not being someone that we can consider as having any sufficient background.

All sorts of things are online for people who want to hunt it down. I do not think we should encourage posting of contact information like this in an open thread if the user has not chosen to make it available themselves at physicsforums.

For myself, I have given enough about myself here that someone could google for more if they really want. But I would be angry if someone found personal information about me online and published it in the threads. I'll choose what to tell people here about my own personal background, thanks. It is probable that Chris cares a bit less about his privacy than I do; but we should not presume that, and I think it would be better not to post what you find out about him by googling without his permission, particularly when it gets that specific about his location.

As for our discussion by PM, let's just note that we did not agree. I think the demand for professional credentials is ad hominem. It is insufficient to establish sanity or competence, and it is not necessary for competence.

I most DEFINITELY did not agree about anyone not having "sufficient" background.

None of us has sufficient standing to be a recognized authority just by looking over a CV. But several of us have sufficient background to make substantive and informative contributions on matters relating to climate. Chris most definitely does. You don't find this in a CV; you find it by checking the quality of information and sourcing in his posts -- and his blog as linked from his contact information.

I have simply listed some new posters who have improved the technical level of discussion in this topic over the last year. I have not proposed ANY of us as a standard reference point; and I have not proposed anyone as a working professional. Chris stands out, in my opinion, for ability and background knowledge. He has made some useful contributions to the discussions here. I believe that the level of discussion over the last year has improved and that overall the forum has been doing well at helping many users gets to grips with learning some background on climate science. This is endorsed by a number of members, despite not actually agreeing on all the issues pertaining to climate.

What we need, I suggest, is a focus on substance, more even than we need an authority figure.

Yes, Chris is a student. So what? A good student is frequently in an excellent position to provide helpful and substantive posts. Chris interacts regularly with working scientists on this topic and he is active in learning about it. He knows climate science very well. It is NOT just a hobby; that's really low. Being a student is no hobby. I am not proposing him as a mentor or as a standard reference point.

In this whole debate, people have missed another really good way to get good background on a topic like this. Learn it! This is done in the usual way, over a number of years, by reading books and studying theory. There are many courses in climate science offered at colleges and universities, and many textbooks available to help people get to grips with this level of background.

The fundamental problem here is a deep distrust of much that is taken for granted in university courses and in the literature. That will not be fixed by getting a professional to join in. The professionals are already being vilified and distrusted.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to have a couple of working professionals join in. But I don't believe that is the biggest problem here at all. Many of the really heated disputes are over questions that are actually really wrong headed and have no scientific support. We'd manage an awful lot of that just by sticking to the existing guideline better.

There are also open questions in climate science. I've been active myself in trying to pull up the supporters of AGW who get some detail incorrect or overstate the confidence in some matter. (I've done this to Xnn a fair bit, but I am sure he has appreciated it, and he remains -- as we both agree -- one of the really excellent posters here.) Open questions can be addressed already by simply looking at the different papers that present alternative ideas. Many newcomers to the topic are unaware of just how open the IPCC reports and the scientific literature are about the subjects where there is significant uncertainty. Many newcomers to the topic are unaware of how some discoveries are now so strongly supported by a consilience of evidence that they are basic background for the whole field.

Evo said:
We are looking for actual climate scientists, not just people that enjoy it as a hobby.

What we are actually doing in this thread is looking for suggestions and comments on this new policy.

Finding a working scientist is just one of the suggestions. I think that would be great, but I think it is more important that we do a couple of other things as well.
  • We should not defer to one authority figure, but continue to have discussion based on the whole body of working climate science. Science thrives on diverse views.
  • We should not be tolerant of posts that just make dismissive remarks about widely applied scientific ideas, without having their own references for criticism of those ideas within the ferment of active scientific investigation. The diversity of viewpoints within working science is less that the diversity with the general popularion.
  • We should be stronger about keeping threads focused on topic, rather that diverging into every other question about climate.

I believe that the forum has been working well as far as regular users are concerned, and that over this last year it has gone a long way to helping people learn more about the background of climate science as it is actually practiced.

I appreciate that there are divisions within the staff, and that it is time to take a breather.

Cheers -- sylas

Evo said:
You do know there's an in between, right? I'm like 10th author for a paper on a program to do online statistical analysis on satellite products (like climate data sets), and I'm a student. I get paid for working on random satellite data, lately climate models, so technically this stuff is my job. Does that count? I do know the answer is no, but what's the real criteria? Is getting a phd the criteria? Getting published? What if it'll be part of my dissertation?

I stayed away from the Earth forum 'cause I'm more interested in the data than the debate, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss someone out of hand just 'cause they're a student. Sylas probably knows my pet data set as well as I do; I just have the benefit of getting stuff vetted by a working climatologist.

Last edited:

sylas said:
it is legitimate to hope that the ban might be temporary and that some solution might eventually be tried and the topic reopened.

I think it should be made clear that the threads on GW in the Earth forum have not been working pretty well, otherwise this action would never have been taken. It has also been mentioned by several mentors that the primary reason things have not been working well is that we do not have a person qualified to take a moderation decision when one is needed-- I think vanesch sums this up clearly in his post above.

story645 said:
I stayed away from the Earth forum 'cause I'm more interested in the data than the debate, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss someone out of hand just 'cause they're a student.

I can't speak for her, but I'm sure Evo did not mean to dismiss someone's contributions simply because they are a student. PF relies on all sorts of people to make it a success, and students (of different stages in their education) make up a huge proportion of our member base.

sylas said:

Here's an issue that has occurred repeatedly, and not just in the Earth forum.

A member cites respected, well-published papers. However,

(i) it doesn't mean that he/she understood the science content of the paper
(ii) he/she actually misused or misinterpret the content of the paper

Being able to cite and "explain" such content has nothing to do with presenting valid arguments. I can show you many physics posts that cited several published papers, but bastardized them into unrecognizable ways. How many times have you seen misguided people cited Thermo's 2nd Law (which is a valid principle) as the basis to argue that evolution is impossible? Only someone who has a knowledge of classical thermodynamics can see why such an argument is full of holes.

My original point still stand. Unless we have someone who is an expert in this area, there is no way for any of us to know the intricate details and, as importantly, the limitations, of many of these "evidence". We are deluding ourselves if we think we can look at a set of data and be able to draw up a comprehensive conclusion while being ignorant of (i) how they are taken (ii) what are the limitations (iii) etc. As an experimentalist, I know this is the case in practically ALL of experimental and observational work. It is why when I referee a paper, I can question someone when they have gone beyond the capability of what their experiment can do. These are information and knowledge that non-experts are IGNORANT of!

If we are talking about some "benign" topic of discussion, then I'd say that even students majoring in that field, or even keen amateurs would suffice. After all, PF started off with plenty of those in the early (dark?) years. But this is an incendiary topic that creates very heated discussion and passion. We have tried it, and it didn't work. I got utterly FED UP with our own time and effort spent behind the scenes in moderating this particular topic. If this forum is called "Global Warming Forum", then yes, I don't mind that a large portion of the administrative issues being done is related to this topic. But it isn't! The amount of effort we had to put in is NOT COMMENSURATE with the fact that this is a MINOR part of PF!

I won't miss it if it never comes back. Anyone asking for MY opinion on this would get something like this : "Find your own Global Warming equivalent of a Greg Bernhardt".

Zz.

story645 said:
You do know there's an in between, right? I'm like 10th author for a paper on a program to do online statistical analysis on satellite products (like climate data sets), and I'm a student. I get paid for working on random satellite data, lately climate models, so technically this stuff is my job. Does that count? I do know the answer is no, but what's the real criteria? Is getting a phd the criteria? Getting published? What if it'll be part of my dissertation?

I stayed away from the Earth forum 'cause I'm more interested in the data than the debate, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss someone out of hand just 'cause they're a student. Sylas probably knows my pet data set as well as I do; I just have the benefit of getting stuff vetted by a working climatologist.
Note, we are talking about somebody having the know-how to moderate disputes that happen in the CC/GW threads, and to do so without the moderators on the whole spending a disproportionate amount of time on them. This is different than being knowledgeable enough to contribute worthy and thoughtful posts at our forums.

An in-depth familiarity with the science and current literature is needed. And there's the complication that the current moderators need to have concrete verification of the person's qualifications, lacking that in-depth knowledge ourselves.

Another problem is the process by which people become moderators (mentors) here. Take Redbelly98, for example. He won that mentor medal by making several thousand posts that displayed both technical expertise and social skills. Bring in a newcomer to server as a moderator would seem to be a circumvention of the normal progression at this site.

Sylas:

In this whole debate, people have missed another really good way to get good background on a topic like this. Learn it! This is done in the usual way, over a number of years, by reading books and studying theory. There are many courses in climate science offered at colleges and universities, and many textbooks available to help people get to grips with this level of background.

The fundamental problem here is a deep distrust of much that is taken for granted in university courses and in the literature. That will not be fixed by getting a professional to join in. The professionals are already being vilified and distrusted.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to have a couple of working professionals join in. But I don't believe that is the biggest problem here at all. Many of the really heated disputes are over questions that are actually really wrong headed and have no scientific support. We'd manage an awful lot of that just by sticking to the existing guideline better.

I agree 100% with this. This distrust exists at the level of the moderators here and that fact probably led to this problem. I find it suspect that this happened not so long after Sylas came along here. He was able to debunk most of the nonsense that most of the time went unchallenged before. In case of the hacking incident, just read all the discussions and you'll see that it is mostly Sylas who debunks most of the myths about data being destroyed etc. etc.

So, objectively, you would have to say that things improved a lot lately. The problem therefore really is that you have moderators who hold strong sceptical opinions on this matter who do don't like this development. One lesson from Wikipedia is that people who are involved in a discussion should not moderate that discussion. People who hold strong opinions who are not directly involved should be able to put their opinions aside when moderating a discussion and only apply the rules.

The whole idea that you have to be a big expert in the field to moderate the discussion is complete nonsense and it can actually be the source of problems.

Count Iblis said:
Sylas:

I agree 100% with this. This distrust exists at the level of the moderators here and that fact probably led to this problem. I find it suspect that this happened not so long after Sylas came along here. He was able to debunk most of the nonsense that most of the time went unchallenged before. In case of the hacking incident, just read all the discussions and you'll see that it is mostly Sylas who debunks most of the myths about data being destroyed etc. etc.

So, objectively, you would have to say that things improved a lot lately. The problem therefore really is that you have moderators who hold strong sceptical opinions on this matter who do don't like this development. One lesson from Wikipedia is that people who are involved in a discussion should not moderate that discussion. People who hold strong opinions who are not directly involved should be able to put their opinions aside when moderating a discussion and only apply the rules.

So you now think that you're able to draw up such definitive conclusion about the opinion of the Moderators on this very topic? And can I then draw up the conclusion that you use the SAME set of logic when you participate in the various discussions? If you do, then I have a very important news for you: YOU ARE DEAD WRONG!. If I were you, I would seriously reconsider how I arrive at any set of information that I consider to be valid.

If you have such distrust of the moderators of this forum, I am shocked that you are still hanging around here.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So you now think that you're able to draw up such definitive conclusion about the opinion of the Moderators on this very topic? And can I then draw up the conclusion that you use the SAME set of logic when you participate in the various discussions? If you do, then I have a very important news for you: YOU ARE DEAD WRONG!. If I were you, I would seriously reconsider how I arrive at any set of information that I consider to be valid.

If you have such distrust of the moderators of this forum, I am shocked that you are still hanging around here.

Zz.

Well, Evo has been very clear about her opinion. And Redbelly presumably knows what he talks about in this posting:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2523470&postcount=32

I have made my opinion about some problems with moderation on PhysicsForums clear a long time ago, long before I was aware of any trouble on the Earth Forum. it is not really that "the Moderators are bad", just that the system has some inherent flaws. I also noticed at then time that giving feedback about this was not appreciated.

Count Iblis said:
Well, Evo has been very clear about her opinion. And Redbelly presumably knows what he talks about in this posting:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2523470&postcount=32

I have made my opinion about some problems with moderation on PhysicsForums clear a long time ago, long before I was aware of any trouble on the Earth Forum. it is not really that "the Moderators are bad", just that the system has some inherent flaws. I also noticed at then time that giving feedback about this was not appreciated.

So you got 2 moderators who have opinions (surprise!) on this matter, and you think that ALL of us are in the same boat? And you see NOTHING wrong with that faulty logic? And you don't see this as being the reason why trying to discuss certain things with you can often lead to a colossal waste of time?

Zz.

I must admit, I've seen this coming having been part of a couple GW discussions and probably one of the 'problem' posters. I must say though that most of the problems with my posts arose when I contradicted a moderators opinion, regardless of data and science behind it. I know this because when I was responding to a particular person with data/my opinion on what they had said and I received an infraction or warning etc. about the post I would PM the person I was discussing this with and they would say that
a) They did not report me.
and
b) They did not mind what I was posting. (Even though sometimes I came off hostile and yes I can see being warned about being rude or hostile but when posting in a Politics forum why can't you be the slightest bit hostile? It IS a place of arguements...)

Regardless I don't agree with this ban and I don't see why people can still discuss plate tectonics and such without proper experts, GW is basically a bunch of different Earth sciences combined. Besides I recall when i posted about 'climatologist' it was met with laughter and ridicule at the idea of such a person. Now PF is actively seeking out these people... thought they didn't exist.

Anyways there are a few people on these forums that I can see who could take the place moderating GW discussions why not just choose one of them? I mean like sylas is a really great guy I'm not exactly sure what his background is, I'm thinking mathematics, but he knows a great deal about not only the science published but using the data and the models. I've seen Xnn make some really well informed posts... Andre definitely knows a great deal about the skeptical side of the science and the models etc. however his use of the word groupthink annoys me to no-end and I don't know about his academic background. There's a new prof. on the forums who I'm pretty sure teaches GW courses and has written some published peer-reviewed papers on the topic. (since I've dropped out of the GW threads so I don't get in MORE trouble I don't really know this person)... but like we already seem to have a nice group of people who could be able to moderate the discussion in hopefully a non-biased way. I respect all these people (aside from Andre's use of the word groupthink... I actually hate that word now and it makes me want to smash things.) and I have learned a great deal more than what I originally knew (prior to climategate lol). Before climatgate I would have thought that I had more knowledge on the data and models than your lay-person but these people have definitely broadened that knowledge.

As for 'how can I know if this knowledge is correct,' how can I know any knowledge on these forums is correct? If I find something out in the cosmology forums the people explaining it normally post references. If I get enough people showing me references to support their own ideas then I'm certain I can come to a conclusion on my own (I guess I assume we're all intelligent, critical thinking people but who cares... this is a PHYSICSforum right?) Since this a 'newer' science (it's actually quite old it's just been in the public spotlight recently so people THINK it's new) it is a tad bit harder, I don't see why physicsforums should back down from that however.

They could also lay down topics which are up for discussion and not up for discussion, just like exists in the cosmology etc. forums.

Last edited:

ZapperZ said:
So you got 2 moderators who have opinions (surprise!) on this matter, and you think that ALL of us are in the same boat? And you see NOTHING wrong with that faulty logic? And you don't see this as being the reason why trying to discuss certain things with you can often lead to a colossal waste of time?

Zz.

Redbelly made this statement:

Put another way, and briefly, the Mentors are tired of arguing amongst themselves without reaching consensus on how to moderate numerous CC/GW threads. That is the simple reality of the situation.

He has access to the forums where you and the other Moderators discuss moderating this forum.