Is it advisabe to learn to computer languages?

• Thread starter AK2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: So learning two languages at the same time could hinder my ability to think logically when trying to solve a problem.
AK2
Is it advisabe to learn two computer languages at the same time?

This is my situation. I am learning how to program and at the same time learning python. I'm using the Think Python book by Allen Downey. After finishing this book, is it good to start learning Matlab since I'm going to use it in school. Though they are both interpreted languages they are very different.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
The danger of learning two languages at the same time is the tendency to mix syntax of one language with that of the other, ending up with a mush that isn't valid for either. It's more of a problem if you are learning two languages that have a lot of similarities.

I'm sure there are people who could learn two languages at the same time, but I would advise you to learn one as well as you can first, and then you can apply the common ideas to another language (say matlab) later.

Don't bother learning MATLAB until you need it. Stick with a single language for now and get good at it. What you should really be focusing on while learning python is the fundamentals as in structure and how to properly and efficiently code. Once you know the fundamentals, switching to other languages isn't that difficult, especially matlab.

I was learning MATLAB at one point. While surfing the net I found out about Python and started using the think python book to learn how to program. May be after I finishing the tutorial in Python Docs I will go back to MATLAB because I'm going to use it in class soon.

Matlab/Numpy cheat sheet->there are tons floating around the web, so once you learn python it's pretty easy to pick up matlab.

story645 said:
Matlab/Numpy cheat sheet->there are tons floating around the web, so once you learn python it's pretty easy to pick up matlab.

Thanks for the cheat sheet. One thing I came to discover and understand about programming is that it forces you think in many ways in other to solve a problem.

1. Is it necessary to learn computer languages as a scientist?

It depends on your area of research and the tools you need to use. Some fields may require knowledge of programming languages, while others may not. However, learning computer languages can greatly enhance your skills and allow you to perform tasks more efficiently.

2. Can learning computer languages benefit my scientific career?

Absolutely. In today's digital world, having coding skills can make you more competitive in the job market and open up opportunities for research and collaboration. Moreover, being able to automate tasks and analyze data using programming languages can greatly improve your productivity as a scientist.

3. Which computer languages are most important for scientists to learn?

The most useful languages for scientists vary depending on their field and specific research needs. However, some commonly used languages include Python, R, MATLAB, and C++. It's important to assess your needs and choose a language that is suitable for your research goals.

4. How long does it take to learn a computer language?

The time it takes to learn a computer language depends on various factors, such as your previous experience with coding, the complexity of the language, and the amount of time you can dedicate to learning. With consistent practice and dedication, you can become proficient in a language in a few months.

5. Can I learn multiple computer languages at once?

It's not recommended to learn multiple languages at once, especially if you're a beginner. It's better to focus on one language at a time and become proficient in it before moving on to another. Trying to learn too many languages at once can be overwhelming and hinder your progress.