Is Group Velocity Dispersion Infinite for Light in Air?

In summary, the group-velocity dispersion parameter D is infinity for light propagation in the air because the derivative of the group velocity is zero, indicating that the group velocity is constant. This means that the pulse will spread very quickly. The explanation lies in the formula for D, which can be found on Wikipedia, and the problem was that the second derivative cannot be inverted. In the case of light propagation through the air, the dispersion parameter must equal zero.
Dimani4
Hey ppl,
I have a question for you.

For the case of light propagation in the air the the group-velocity dispersion parameter D is infinity because the derivative of the group velocity should be a zero (group velocity is constant ; w=ck and Vgroup=dw/dk). Who can explain me this? dispersion parameter is infinity meaning that the pulse will spread very fast. I never thought about that question but maybe I'm wrong. Plz clarify me that point.

formula for D parameter you can find here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispersion_(optics)

Physics news on Phys.org
the question is solved. you can't not turn upside down the second derivative. i.e

a=(Dispersion parameter)=(approx) d2(k)/d2(w)[tex]\neq[/tex]1/d2(w)/d2(k). here was the problem. in the case of light propagation through the air a should equal to zero.d2()-second derivative=[tex]\partial[/tex]2

d2(k)/d2(w)=[tex]\partial[/tex]2k/[tex]\partial[/tex]2w

Last edited:

What is group velocity dispersion?

Group velocity dispersion is a phenomenon that occurs in optics, where different wavelengths of light travel at different speeds through a material. This leads to a broadening of the pulse of light, which is known as dispersion.

What causes group velocity dispersion?

Group velocity dispersion is caused by the fact that the refractive index of a material is dependent on the wavelength of light. This means that different wavelengths will experience different amounts of refraction, leading to different velocities.

Why is group velocity dispersion important?

Group velocity dispersion is an important factor to consider in optical systems, as it can affect the quality and accuracy of transmitted signals. It can also impact the performance of optical devices such as lasers and fiber optics.

How is group velocity dispersion measured?

Group velocity dispersion is typically measured using a technique called interferometry, which involves splitting a beam of light into two paths and measuring the difference in arrival times between the two paths. This can be done using specialized equipment such as an interferometer.

Can group velocity dispersion be corrected?

Yes, group velocity dispersion can be corrected using various methods such as using materials with a higher refractive index, using specialized lenses, or using compensating elements in the optical system. These corrections can help reduce the impact of dispersion on the transmitted signal or device performance.