Estimate the mass of the Coma cluster

In summary, using the virial theorem and assuming an isothermal sphere model for the mass distribution, the estimated mass of the Coma cluster of galaxies is 1.997e15 solar mass, based on a radial velocity dispersion of 977 km s^-1 and a radius of 3 Mpc. The formula used was M = 3B/n (Ro^2/G, where B and n are dimensionless factors of order unity. When considering isotropic orbits of identical particles, B and n are both equal to 1. If a constant density model was used instead, n would equal 3/5 and the resulting mass would be higher.
leonne

Homework Statement

Use the results we derived in class based on the virial theorem to estimate the mass of
the Coma cluster of galaxies, which has a radial velocity dispersion of o = 977 km s1
and a radius R = 3 Mpc. You can assume an isothermal sphere model for the mass
distribution and that the measured radial velocity dispersion is based on isotropic
orbits of identical galaxies.

Homework Equations

M=3B/n (Ro2/G

The Attempt at a Solution

I found this formula in my notes said it was the virial mass estimate so would i just plug in what i have into this? Seems too easy that's why I am asking if i have to do something else.
B and n would equal to 1 because its a isothermal sphere

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer should be very simple... this is not how I would have done it however.
What are B and n?

I would just use the virial theorem... what does the virial theorem state?

Hey in the class notes they did use virial theorem and than sub potential and kinetic to get that formula i said idk what B and N are didnt fully read the notes but said when its a isothermal sphere that b=n=1

Okay, well in general the virial theorem let's you relate the time average kinetic energy to the potential energy. For the case of gravity it says that:
[tex]
<T> = -\frac{1}{2} <U>
[/tex]
So if you plug in equations for kinetic and potential energies... what do you get?

well you get 3Bmo-nGM2/R=0
Was told that kinetic energy is 3/2BMo2
"We have made two assumptions: the motion is isotropic, and the stars are identical. Dropping
those assumptions... where B is a dimensionless factor of order unity (e.g., b = 1 if we are considering isotropic orbits of identical particles).
then potentail is -n(GM2 /R)
where n is a dimensionless factor of order unity that depends on the density profile (e.g.,
n = 1 for an isothermal sphere, and n = 3/5 for a constant density sphere)

So from 3Bmo-nGM2/R=0 just solve for M and you get 1/m=nG/3o2RB
than just flip it to gte m=3BRo2/nG

got the mass as 1.997e15 solar mass which seems right it also asks about .."if you used a constant density model" If the mass will increase or what looking in the note found that ... n = 3/5 for a constant density sphere so i am guess just replace the 1 with 3/5 in the formula i got before right? or is there something more?

This isn't quite the virial theorem I'm used to... but it sounds like you're doing it exactly right---based on the prescription you've been given. The answer shouldn't be any more complicated.

kk thxs for the help

1. How do scientists estimate the mass of the Coma cluster?

Scientists use a technique called gravitational lensing to estimate the mass of the Coma cluster. This involves measuring the distortion of light from background galaxies as it passes through the cluster's gravitational field.

2. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon where the light from distant objects is bent as it passes through the gravitational field of a massive object, such as a galaxy cluster. This distortion can be used to calculate the mass of the object causing the lensing.

3. Why is estimating the mass of the Coma cluster important?

Estimating the mass of the Coma cluster is important for understanding the structure and evolution of galaxy clusters, which are the largest structures in the universe. It also provides insights into the distribution of dark matter within the cluster.

4. What other methods can be used to estimate the mass of the Coma cluster?

In addition to gravitational lensing, scientists can also use the motion of galaxies within the cluster, X-ray observations of hot gas, and the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect (a distortion of the cosmic microwave background radiation) to estimate the mass of the Coma cluster.

5. What is the estimated mass of the Coma cluster?

The estimated mass of the Coma cluster is about 10^15 solar masses, or 10 quadrillion times the mass of our Sun. This makes it one of the most massive galaxy clusters in the known universe.