Projectile Motion - rocket launched, engine, fail

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to solve a problem involving the maximum altitude, total flight time, and horizontal range of a rocket launched at an angle of 58.0° with an initial speed of 98 m/s and an acceleration of 28.0 m/s2. The participants discuss their attempts at finding the height of the rocket at different stages and eventually reach the correct answer of 1568.7m. They also highlight the importance of avoiding small errors in calculations.
dandy9

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched at an angle of 58.0° above the horizontal with an initial speed of 98 m/s. It moves for 3.00 s along its initial line of motion with an acceleration of 28.0 m/s2. At this time its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a free body.

Maximum altitude?
Total flight time?
Horizontal range?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck - I don't need an answer, just some help to get started... This is due in an hour so any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve it in two steps. Step one is the rocket takes off with the given velocity and acceleration provided. Step two after the rockets shut off it is now a standard projectile motion problem where it has some initial height & velocity as solved for in part 1.

I got 1429.7m which is wrong...
My 'step 1' height is 375,
my 'step 2' height is 1429.
Any help please?

How did you find your step 1 height? I got 356.18m

Well, I did it again and I got 355.6
I used the equation dy =viy*t+.5ay*t^2 (the "y"s are all subscripts indicating the vertical component (the "i" indicates the initial value))
which came to be dy = 83*3+.5*23.7*3^2
equaling 355.6

For the second step height I found the time it took from the moment the engine shut off to apex, which turned out to be 15.7s. I also found the final vertical velocity at that moment, which I got to be 154.2m/s.
I plugged these numbers into the formula:
dy = viy*t+.5*ay*t^2
And got 2349.9m...

but I'm thinking that this doesn't really make sense... shouldn't the rocket go higher in step 1 with the engine? I feel like my step 2 height is way too big.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
D

dandy9 said:
For the second step height I found the time it took from the moment the engine shut off to apex, which turned out to be 15.7s. I also found the final vertical velocity at that moment, which I got to be 154.2m/s.
I plugged these numbers into the formula:
dy = viy*t+.5*ay*t^2
And got 2349.9m...

The vertical velocity at the moment of apex is zero. The value of 154.2m/s is the initial vertical velocity of the second step.

then you simply use:

h=v0*t+.5*a*t^2+h0 (don't forget the initial height h0)

AWESOME! THANKS! (The answer is 1568.7m)
I realized I had the same equation as you for step 2, just forgot to square the time - just shows how one tiny error can really mess you up.
Thanks again, you were a great help.
Much thanks,
D

Haha, yeah those small errors will get you... Glad I could help though.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air when it is launched at an angle. It follows a curved path due to the effects of gravity and air resistance.

2. How does a rocket engine work?

A rocket engine works by combusting a fuel and an oxidizer in a combustion chamber. The resulting gases are expelled through a nozzle at the back of the rocket, creating thrust and propelling the rocket forward.

3. What are some common causes of rocket engine failure?

Some common causes of rocket engine failure include issues with the fuel and oxidizer mixture, faulty valves or seals, and structural failures. Human error and improper maintenance can also lead to engine failure.

4. How does a rocket overcome the effects of gravity and air resistance?

A rocket overcomes the effects of gravity and air resistance by generating enough thrust to propel it forward. The force of the thrust must be greater than the force of gravity pulling the rocket down and the force of air resistance pushing against it.

5. What factors affect the trajectory of a rocket launched into the air?

The trajectory of a rocket launched into the air is affected by the initial angle of launch, the amount of thrust generated by the engine, the mass and shape of the rocket, and external factors such as wind and air density. The force of gravity and air resistance also play a role in determining the trajectory.