What can an engineering physics graduate do?

In summary: Finally, if you do not have the required math background, you can take a course to raise your math to the required level which will help you get a job in engineering.In summary, if you are not interested in research or in management, it may be difficult to find a job in engineering. However, if you have the required math background, there is a chance you can find a job in engineering.
xiaoyao
I am kind of worried about the jobs i can get after graduating with an Engineering Physics degree right now. I am not that research kind of guy and i am really interested in jobs in engineering part. However, i did a lot of research and most of them show that jobs out there for engineering physics is being a lab person or professor etc. and not many engineering company hire engineering physics graduates. I really want to be in engineering area, could anyone with such experience help me out here? like how to turn to be more like engineering than scientist?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this program accredited by your state/province or country? If it is, then you would gain much credibility by becoming a professional engineer. Does this engineering physics program have specializations? For example if it has an option in electrical or mechanical, then you could probably get a job in those areas after graduation. Finally if everything else does not work you could get a masters degree in the specific field of engineering you are interested in.

MECHster said:
Is this program accredited by your state/province or country? If it is, then you would gain much credibility by becoming a professional engineer. Does this engineering physics program have specializations? For example if it has an option in electrical or mechanical, then you could probably get a job in those areas after graduation. Finally if everything else does not work you could get a masters degree in the specific field of engineering you are interested in.

yes, my universities' program is accredited and it does have a option. i am in electrical option. But from my co-op experience, not too many engineering firms come for engineering physics students. most of the companies looking for co-op students are from research area. I am wondering what is the situation in real job market? is it going to be a little bit better?

What exactly is engineering physics anyway? Is it just an engineering degree but with more of the hard maths and physics that you'll probably never see outside of the classroom and less of the management, financial and teamwork stuff that you'll use everyday throughout your life?

xiaoyao said:
yes, my universities' program is accredited and it does have a option. i am in electrical option. But from my co-op experience, not too many engineering firms come for engineering physics students. most of the companies looking for co-op students are from research area. I am wondering what is the situation in real job market? is it going to be a little bit better?

It really depends then. I know for one of the programs near me (Eng. Phys. at Queens in Kingston, Ontario) their graduates are very employable in industry, specifically in electrical. Most people who want to become electrical engineers take electrical engineering which is why you won't see many eng. phys. grads in the EE industry compared to EE majors. Eng. phys. programs typically have much less graduates and a high percentage of them go into graduate school. All of this information is regarding the eng. phys. programs that I am familiar with, it might be completely different in your situation.

Get the AS, usually they have the higher math background that any or all of your interest areas require.

Second, depending on the university, there are often requirments for Bachelor's of Science to have lab sciences that are outside the basic core area (like physics degrees requiring at least one life sciences course, etc.)

1. What kind of jobs can an engineering physics graduate get?

Engineering physics graduates have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries. Some common job titles for engineering physics graduates include research scientist, design engineer, systems engineer, data analyst, and technical consultant.

2. What skills and knowledge do engineering physics graduates possess?

Engineering physics graduates have a strong foundation in both engineering and physics, allowing them to have a deep understanding of the principles and theories behind complex systems. They also have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in programming languages and various software tools.

3. Can an engineering physics graduate work in both engineering and physics fields?

Yes, an engineering physics graduate can work in both engineering and physics fields. They have a unique combination of skills and knowledge that makes them versatile and adaptable to various industries. They can also bridge the gap between the two fields and bring a multidisciplinary approach to problem-solving.

4. Are there opportunities for advancement for engineering physics graduates?

Yes, there are plenty of opportunities for advancement for engineering physics graduates. With their strong foundation in both engineering and physics, they can pursue advanced degrees in fields such as aerospace engineering, material science, or applied physics. They can also advance to managerial or leadership positions in their respective industries.

5. How does an engineering physics degree differ from a traditional engineering degree?

An engineering physics degree focuses on the fundamental principles of physics and their application to engineering problems. It provides a strong theoretical background and emphasizes the development of analytical and problem-solving skills. In contrast, a traditional engineering degree may have a more practical and hands-on approach, focusing on the design and implementation of engineering systems.