Moment of Inertia perpendicular to lamina

In summary, the question asks for the moment of inertia of a lamina with density x^2 + y^2 about an axis perpendicular to the lamina through the point (1,1). The moment of inertia is calculated by finding Ix and Iy, which are the double integrals of the density multiplied by y^2 and x^2, respectively, and then adding them. The limits for the integrals can be determined using the boundaries of the lamina and making adjustments for the distance calculations. This involves a coordinate transformation for the radius vectors, where the square of the distance from the axis of rotation at (1,1) is calculated using the formula r^2 = (x - 1)^2 + (
ChemistryJack
Hi, one of my vac work questions is:

A lamina has density d(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 and is defined by -2<x<2 ; -3<y<3. Calculate the moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the lamina through the point (1,1).

I'm confident that I find Ix which is equal to the double integral of the density multiplied by y^2 and Iy which is equal to the double integral of the density multiplied by x^2 and add them. However, it's the limits that I'm unsure of, because for a similar question before, I integrated using the dimensions of the lamina, and my tutor said my limits should be different, I know it has something to do with the fact the moment of inertia is taking place at a given point. Could someone please help me with my limits?

Thanks a lot, also I apologise if it's difficult to read because I don't know how to write the symbols etc. properly online.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably you can use the boundaries of the lamina as the integration limits provided that you make the appropriate allowance for the distance calculations. You need the square of the distance between the axis of rotation and the given mass element of the lamina. Essentially it's a coordinate transformation for the radius vectors.

For a point (x,y), the square of the distance from your axis of rotation at (1,1) is

[tex] r^2 = (x - 1)^2 + (y - 1)^2 [/tex]

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina?

The moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina is a measure of an object's resistance to rotation about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the lamina. It is also known as the polar moment of inertia.

2. How is moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina calculated?

The moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina can be calculated by summing the products of the mass of each infinitesimal element of the lamina and the square of its perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina?

Moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina plays a crucial role in determining the stability and rotation of an object, especially for objects with complex shapes. It also helps in analyzing the distribution of mass in an object.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina?

The shape of an object has a significant impact on its moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina. Objects with a larger cross-sectional area and mass farther away from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia, while objects with a smaller cross-sectional area and mass closer to the axis of rotation have a lower moment of inertia.

5. Can moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina be negative?

No, moment of inertia perpendicular to lamina cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the resistance to rotation and cannot be in the opposite direction of the axis of rotation.