Can complex numbers be produced using only algebraic operations?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, it is impossible to come to a transcendental number through operations involving only non-transcendental numbers. This is because every algebraic number can be produced by a finite number of algebraic operations, and a complex number is transcendental if and only if it is not algebraic. Therefore, any operation involving only non-transcendental numbers will result in an algebraic number.
1MileCrash
Can you come to a transcendental number through operations involving non-transcendental numbers?

Or is it impossible as I presume?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you consider "an operation"? I can take the arcsine of 1 and it would get me a transcendental number...

I consider arcsin a legitimate operation, but not one that doesn't involve transcendental numbers in your case. The transcendental number in that case is hidden within the definition of the radian. If a circle is 2pi radians, we're basing everything off of a transcendental number.

arcsin(1) is a transcendental number in radians, and an integer (90) in degrees.

Radians is just as valid of a measurement system, but the fact is that radians is based off of transcendental numbers. A (non-zero) integer in degrees is always a transcendental number in radians because we involve pi, a transcendental number.

So arcsin(1) = 90, or 1.5700705 (whatever) radians, and they are equally valid, but the radian measurement, by definition, involves transcendental numbers. So the transcendental number in the operation arcsin(1) is hidden in the definition of the radian.

Well, I would disagree with that. You don't HAVE to incorporate pi into the definition of arcsin. For instance, you can define sin with a power series with rational coefficients, then say arcsin is the inverse of that. But how about this:

[tex]
\int_1^2 \frac{dx}{x}
[/tex]

Is integration a "legitimate operation"?

How about "find x such that 2^x = -1"? Is that a "legitimate operation"?

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
Can you come to a transcendental number through operations involving non-transcendental numbers?

Or is it impossible as I presume?

What counts as an "operation?" Certainly if you are allowed to form an infinite series, you can express any transcendental as a sum of rationals, by using the number's decimal expansion. For example pi = 3 + 1/10 + 4/100 + ...

And what about [itex]2^{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]?? This is transcendental... See the Gelfond-Schneider theorem.

1MileCrash said:

I remember reading somewhere that a transcendental number may not be computed using any finite number of algebraic operations.

micromass said:
And what about [itex]2^{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]?? This is transcendental... See the Gelfond-Schneider theorem.

:)

So any integer raised to the power of it's root is transcendental?

Or would it be better to say, an integer raised to a non-transcendental irrational number is transcendental?

A transcendental number may not be computed using any finite number of algebraic operations.

What about above?

The answer to this depends entirely on what the OP considers a valid operation. Perhaps give us a list of rules/things you can do?

gb7nash said:
The answer to this depends entirely on what the OP considers a valid operation. Perhaps give us a list of rules/things you can do?

I meant mainly though algebraic means, addition, multiplication, powers, and all of their inverses.

1MileCrash said:
:)

So any integer raised to the power of it's root is transcendental?

Or would it be better to say, an integer raised to a non-transcendental irrational number is transcendental?

Gelfond-Schneider says that any algebraic number raised to an irrational algebraic number is transcendental.

1MileCrash said:
I meant mainly though algebraic means, addition, multiplication, powers, and all of their inverses.

Using powers, you can. But not with a finite number multiplication/division/addition/subtraction operations.

Last edited:
KingNothing said:
No, not a finite number of them.
Hmm. What about micromass's answer: [itex]2^{2^\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]?

That looks like a finite combination of the allowed operations.

Nice! I didn't know about Gelfond-Schneider yet. :smile:

So perhaps we will only allow powers to integers?

pmsrw3 said:
Hmm. What about micromass's answer: [itex]2^{2^\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]?

That looks like a finite combination of the allowed operations.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize he said powers! My bad!

Using only addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, it is not possible with a finite number of these operations.

KingNothing said:
I remember reading somewhere that a transcendental number may not be computed using any finite number of algebraic operations.
  • 1 is algebraic
  • The sum of two algebraic numbers is algebraic
  • The product of two algebraic numbers is algebraic
  • The roots of a polynomial equation in one variable with algebraic coefficients are algebraic
Every algebraic number can be produced by the above observations.

(note that one can prove the difference of algebraic numbers is algebraic, and similarly quotients and powers with rational exponents)

(A complex number is transcendental if and only if it is not algebraic)

1. What is a transcendental number?

A transcendental number is a real number that is not a root of any non-zero polynomial equation with integer coefficients. In other words, it is a number that cannot be expressed as a fraction and is not a solution to any algebraic equation.

2. How are transcendental numbers different from algebraic numbers?

Transcendental numbers are different from algebraic numbers in that they cannot be expressed as a solution to any algebraic equation, whereas algebraic numbers can be expressed as such. Transcendental numbers are also considered to be "more irrational" than algebraic numbers.

3. Who discovered transcendental numbers?

The concept of transcendental numbers was first introduced by German mathematician Johann Heinrich Lambert in the 18th century. However, the first proof of the existence of transcendental numbers was not provided until the 19th century by French mathematician Joseph Liouville.

4. What are some examples of transcendental numbers?

Famous examples of transcendental numbers include pi (π), e, and the golden ratio (φ). However, there are infinitely many transcendental numbers and it is estimated that most real numbers are transcendental.

5. What is the significance of transcendental numbers?

Transcendental numbers have been a source of fascination for mathematicians because of their "unpredictable" and "random" nature. They have also been used in various fields such as physics and cryptography. The study of transcendental numbers has also led to important developments in the field of number theory.