At what temperature range can brittle fracture be expected in low carbon steels?

In summary, the conversation discusses the temperature range at which brittle fracture can occur in low carbon steels, as well as other parameters that can affect its occurrence. The conversation also mentions that stainless steel is a good alternative due to its higher resistance to brittle fracture. It is mentioned that there is no clear limit for brittle fracture and that the need for toughness depends on the specific use of the steel. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about studying the effects of low temperature on a ship structure made of low carbon steel, with the recommendation to follow the methods and standards used by the profession.
chetanladha
Hi.
At what temperature range can brittle fracture be expected in low carbon steels? Are there other parameters which govern its occurance?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is around -20 degC I think. Type of steel and manufacturing route I guess, not something I know about. Just use stainless...

Its certainly higher for low carbon steels.
Liberty ships sank because of brittle fracture, and temperature was about 0-5 C.

There is no clear limit. Elongation at break, fracture toughness, impact strength and other indicative and non-reproducible figures vary steadily with temperature.

Steel producers use to give figures or curves down to -50°C and these don't look damning. Steel won't break like glass. The need for toughness depends on you part's use: at a gas tank you want deformation without rupture, at a ball bearing any plastic deformation equals a failure.

For comparison, most hard aluminium alloys have around 6% elongation at break, and brass about 2%. If you were ready to use brass at room temperature, you could use low-carbon steel for the same part at extreme cold weather.

Stainless, yes. That is, the common austenitic family. Martensitic stainless (the one used for knives for instance) behaves much like alloyed tempered steel, and ledeburitic (stainless ball bearings, Fiskar scissors...) like quenched steel.

Enthalpy said:
There is no clear limit. Elongation at break, fracture toughness, impact strength and other indicative and non-reproducible figures vary steadily with temperature.

Steel producers use to give figures or curves down to -50°C and these don't look damning. Steel won't break like glass. The need for toughness depends on you part's use: at a gas tank you want deformation without rupture, at a ball bearing any plastic deformation equals a failure.

Hmm.. Makes real sense. Let me re-frame my question.
I want to study the effects of low temperature (0-5 C) on a ship structure, which is made using low carbon steel. (Steel Grades commonly used AH36, DH36 & EH36)

Can you please help?
Thanks..!

Very uneasy.

Typically at a ship hull, a plastic deformation at impact is acceptable but a crack isn't.

Toughness is defined by dozens of incompatible figures and methods because none works properly, nor permits any numerical prediction - they aren't even repeatable.

If the ship you designed sinks you must provide an answer that judges or their "experts" understand. Not with MPa*sqrt(m) but like "I applied this standard".

So the method I would apply, hence recommend to you, is to look after what the profession does and stick to it. Unless the boat is only for you and needs no certification.

1. What is brittle fracture?

Brittle fracture is the sudden and complete failure of a material without any noticeable deformation or warning. It occurs when a material is unable to deform plastically and instead breaks under stress.

2. What are low carbon steels?

Low carbon steels are types of steel that have a low carbon content, typically less than 0.25%. They are known for their high ductility and toughness, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

3. Why is the temperature range important in relation to brittle fracture in low carbon steels?

The temperature range is important because it determines the behavior of low carbon steels. At low temperatures, these steels become more brittle and are more susceptible to brittle fracture, whereas at higher temperatures, they become more ductile and are less likely to fail suddenly.

4. At what temperature range can brittle fracture be expected in low carbon steels?

Brittle fracture can be expected in low carbon steels at temperatures below their ductile-to-brittle transition temperature, which is typically between -40°C and 0°C. However, this temperature range may vary depending on the specific composition and microstructure of the steel.

5. How can brittle fracture be prevented in low carbon steels?

To prevent brittle fracture in low carbon steels, it is important to operate them within their ductile-to-brittle transition temperature range. This can be achieved by using suitable heat treatments or alloying elements to improve their toughness, or by avoiding sudden changes in temperature during use.