Energy for Orbits: 500km Above Earth's Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of energy required to lift a 1000kg object from the surface of the Earth to a height of 500km above the Earth's surface and the additional energy needed to put the object into orbit at that height. The calculation for lifting the object is different from that of orbiting due to the need for imparting velocity. The conversation also mentions a formula for calculating the mechanical energy of an orbit, and invites any corrections or comments on the discussion.
ice
This question came up on a quiz and i got it wrong.
a)how much energy does it take to send a 1000kg object from the surface of the Earth to a height of 500km above the Earth's surface? b) how much energy does it take to put the same object into ORBIT at 500km above the surface of the earth.

For part A, i got -4.5*10^9 Joules, but i don't know if that's right.
part b is what i really don't understand, so any help here would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In part A you simply calcuated the amount of work required to lift an object to a certain height. If you simply lifted it to that height and let it go it would simply fall back to Earth. In part B, the keyword is ORBIT which means that in addition to merely lifting the object you must impart to it sufficient velocity for it to remain at that height in order for it to ORBIT the Earth. You will find that the kinetic energy requirement of orbiting is substantially greater than the requirement for simply lifting the object.

but isn't Ek=1/2 Ep for all orbits? i tried using v^2 = sqrt(2GM/r), which didnt really work out.

I think for b) it is:

[tex]
ME = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 - \frac{mMG}{r}
[/tex]

[tex]
ME = \frac{mMG}{2r} - \frac{mMG}{r}
[/tex]

The Mechanical Energy = Kinetic Energy + Potential Energy
I substituted the orbital velocity for v which equals to:

[tex]
v_{orb} = \sqrt{\frac{MG}{r}}
[/tex]

You can derive this by putting the Gravitational Force to be equal to the centripetal force.

If there are any errors - feel free to comment.

The part that you're leaving out is that the payload starts off on the surface of the Earth with whatever potential energy it has there and (in the simplified case) NO kinetic energy. What you need to calculate is the CHANGE in both the payload's potential energy and kinetic energy.

What is "Energy for Orbits: 500km Above Earth's Surface"?

"Energy for Orbits: 500km Above Earth's Surface" refers to the amount of energy needed for an object to maintain a stable orbit at a distance of 500km from Earth's surface.

Why is the energy for orbits at 500km above Earth's surface important?

The energy required for an orbit at this specific distance is important because it determines the speed at which an object needs to travel in order to maintain its orbit. It also affects the amount of fuel needed for a spacecraft to reach and maintain this orbit.

How is the energy for orbits at 500km above Earth's surface calculated?

The energy for orbits at this distance is calculated using the formula for orbital energy, which takes into account the mass of the object, the gravitational constant, and the distance between the object and the center of the Earth.

What factors can affect the energy for orbits at 500km above Earth's surface?

The energy required for an object to maintain an orbit at this distance can be affected by factors such as atmospheric drag, solar radiation, and gravitational forces from other celestial bodies.

What is the significance of 500km for orbits above Earth's surface?

500km is a common distance for low Earth orbit satellites, including those used for communication, observation, and navigation. It is also the altitude at which the International Space Station orbits.