Angular Velocity and Spin/Orbital Angular Momentum of Jupiter

In summary, the problem at hand is to calculate the spin angular momentum of Jupiter using relevant equations such as L=Iw, I=(2/5)*M*r^2 for a uniform sphere, and w=(G*M/r^3)^1/2. The attempt at a solution involved calculating the rotational angular momentum of Jupiter, but it was slightly off due to an incorrect angular velocity equation. After checking the published value for Jupiter's angular velocity, the correct angular momentum was obtained. The issue was that the calculated angular velocity was for Jupiter's rotation around the Sun, not its spin. In addition, the calculated angular velocity for Jupiter's spin was also incorrect, as it takes 9 hours 55 minutes and 30 seconds for
theKeeblerElf
Problem:
Calculate spin angular momentum of Jupiter

Relevant Equations:
L = Iω
I = (2/5)*M*r2 (for a uniform sphere)
ω = (G*M/r3)1/2 (I calculated this earlier in the homework, but I've looked it up and I think it's right)

Attempt at a Solution:
I thought this should be pretty straight forward, but when I calculated Jupiter's rotational angular momentum, it was slightly off. I've narrowed it down to my angular velocity equation being incorrect; when I used the published value for Jupiter's angular velocity, I got the right angular momentum.
I then went back and checked the value for ω (.0005887 1/s) which correlated to a rotational period of around 3 hours, and that clearly isn't right. Does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong here?

Additional Notes:
I got the equation for ω when I calculated the minimum rotation period of a star by equating the gravitational force and the centrifugal force. The homework asks if the period of a star (T=2∏/ω) differs from that of a planet, but I don't see why it should. I was thinking perhaps there was a difference I was missing and that's why my calculations weren't coming out as expected, but my ω for the sun is off too (I just didn't have the exact numbers to give you guys).

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Your question asks for the "spin" angular momentum. Be careful not to confuse that with the orbital angular momentum.

You calculated the angular velocity of Jupiter around the Sun instead of the angular velocity of Jupiter's spin.

None the less, your number for Jupiter's angular velocity is still wrong. Jupiter takes 9 hours 55 minutes and 30 seconds to rotate 360 degrees, or 2 pi radians. Divide 2 pi by your sidereal day to get the angular velocity of Jupiter's spin.

Last edited:

1. What is the angular velocity of Jupiter?

The angular velocity of Jupiter is approximately 2.66 km/s, or 10,800 degrees per Earth day.

2. How does Jupiter's angular velocity compare to Earth's?

Jupiter's angular velocity is significantly faster than Earth's, which has an angular velocity of 0.465 km/s, or 360 degrees per Earth day.

3. How does Jupiter's spin contribute to its shape?

Jupiter's fast spin, combined with its low density, causes it to bulge at the equator and flatten at the poles, giving it an oblate shape.

4. What is the orbital angular momentum of Jupiter?

The orbital angular momentum of Jupiter is approximately 1.7 x 10^33 kg m^2/s, which is about 60 times greater than the total angular momentum of all the other planets in the solar system combined.

5. How does Jupiter's orbital angular momentum affect its orbit?

Jupiter's large orbital angular momentum helps to keep it in a stable orbit around the Sun and also influences the orbits of other planets in the solar system.