Academy Awards Poll: Who Will Win Directing?

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary, the conversation revolved around the upcoming Academy Awards and a bet on who would win for Best Directing. The participants mentioned various movies, including Million Dollar Baby, The Aviator, and Ray. One person expressed their lack of knowledge about the nominated films and their disinterest in watching the awards show. The conversation ended with a reminder that the Oscars take place on February 27th.

Which movie wins the oscar for best picture ?

• The Aviator by Scorsese

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Million Dollar Baby by Eastwood

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Ray by Hackford

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Sideways by Payne

• Vera Drake by Leigh

• Total voters
marlon
http://www.oscars.org/

The Academy Awards are up in a few weeks. Wanna make a little bet on how is going to win ?

I go for Clint eastwood in Million Dollar Baby and the Aviator of Scorsese...

regards
marlon

The poll is NOT for best picture but for DIRECTING...sorry about the mistake there

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wow, talk about confusing a person. I guess I'll vote for Clint Scorsese's Million Dollar Sideways Aviator.

I've only heard of one movie on that list.

I never seen that movie either.

Note: I'm falling behind on this media thing ... far behind. I should start by watching Terminator because apparently I'm an idiot for not seeing it.

Last edited:
JasonRox said:
. I should start by washing Terminator
Freudian slip?

I don't know, but do not go to see The Sea Inside. It's a political film, made by means of political interests, and starred by political actors. It's a pity that spanish films are taunted too with this illness. Zapatero was very satisfied when he went out the cinema. :yuck:

Oh, geez, I need to get to the movies more often. I haven't even heard of any of those movies on that list, let alone seen any of them. But, that's okay, the types of movies that win Oscars are ones I usually find pretty boring.

When's Oscar night? I need to remember to either pick up a movie to watch or bring home a lot of work; there's never anything worth watching on TV on Oscar night (including the awards...why do people watch a bunch of celebrities patting each other on the back for hours on end?)

Oscars are on february 27th

marlon

I've never seen any of those movies. Based on what I've heard I'll make a guess towards the top two most likely choices.

Ray and The Aviator, in that order.

1. Who are the nominees for Best Director at the Academy Awards?

The nominees for Best Director at the Academy Awards are Bong Joon Ho for "Parasite," Sam Mendes for "1917," Todd Phillips for "Joker," Martin Scorsese for "The Irishman," and Quentin Tarantino for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."

2. How are the winners of the Academy Awards determined?

The winners of the Academy Awards are determined through a voting process by members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The members, who are industry professionals, vote for their favorite nominees in each category.

3. Which director is predicted to win the Academy Award for Best Director?

According to various polls and predictions, Sam Mendes for "1917" is the front-runner for Best Director at the Academy Awards. However, Bong Joon Ho for "Parasite" and Quentin Tarantino for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" are also strong contenders.

4. Has a female director ever won the Academy Award for Best Director?

Yes, Kathryn Bigelow made history in 2010 by becoming the first and only female director to win the Academy Award for Best Director for her film "The Hurt Locker."

5. Is there a correlation between winning Best Director and winning Best Picture at the Academy Awards?

While there is often a correlation between the two awards, it is not always the case. In the past decade, there have been multiple instances where the Best Director and Best Picture awards have gone to different films. In fact, last year's Best Director winner, Alfonso Cuarón for "Roma," did not win Best Picture. However, many consider the Best Director award to be a strong indicator of the overall success of a film at the Oscars.