Mars Rover "Curiosity" Camera Specs

• Thread starter jnorman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cameras
In summary: Bear in mind that an ultra high resolution camera is useless if we don't have the bandwidth to transfer the images to us.It's bandwidth times time that counts, not just bandwidth.
jnorman
what resolution are the cameras on the new Mar's rover "Curiosity"? i read somewhere that the high-res cam was only 2mp, but i am unable to find any real specs.
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The wiki says they are 2mp, with Bayer filters.

when we now have extraordinarily high-res sensors available for consumer cameras, of 20-40mp, why would they use a measly 2mp sensor? do normal cameras not have bayer filters? what do the bayer filters do?
thanks.

The camera need to withstand solar radiation- the cameras we flew (and are still onboard) the space station crapped out after about 2 years- ionizing radiation causes 'latching', resulting in the steady accumulation of hot pixels.

I couldn't find clear evidence of who made the CCDs, possibly Kodak. In any case, it's most likely a rad-hardened CCD chip, which is also why it's not a (high end) consumer grade chip.

Despite what the nice salesman at the camera shop wil say, resolution is largely irrelevant for picture quality these days.

A lot of high res cameras are in reality much lower resolution and produce additional pixels via mathematical computation. There is also the fact that the optical quality of the lens makes a huge difference.

The above I know for a fact as one of my hobbies is photography. Below is speculation.

I imagine the cameras on the rover must be massively hardened and extremely rugged. There is also the question of the amount of bandwidth available to phone home.

More importantly, a robot can easily (and accurately) stitch together a larger picture from lots of small ones.

More importantly, a robot can easily (and accurately) stitch together a larger picture from lots of small ones.

Motorised tripods aren't that expensive. I have two. I can't see how that's a factor since human photographers have no trouble doing it.

A Bayer filter is the three-color filter most cameras use to see color. Each pixel is one color, so the effective resolution is lower than the spec.

very interesting - thanks for the responses.

Googling it, it appears to be a staple of high-end amateur and low-end professional astro-cams. So it does have at least moderate awesomeness.

Also keep in mind that NASA wouldn't have changed it out right before launch, so it was probably picked 10 years ago, at which time it would have had super awesomeness.

Moppy said:
Despite what the nice salesman at the camera shop will say, resolution is largely irrelevant for picture quality these days.

A lot of high res cameras are in reality much lower resolution and produce additional pixels via mathematical computation. There is also the fact that the optical quality of the lens makes a huge difference.

Oh Moppy. A man after my own heart. You wouldn't believe the number of cameras that are sold with so-called high-res sensors and yet they have lenses like 'sucked acid drops'. What's the use of a 16Mpixel sensor if there's a crummy lens involved and the picture is seen by the world as a highly compressed mpg file on Facebook?
But there are Photographers and there are people who take photographs, my friend.

russ_watters said:
Googling it, it appears to be a staple of high-end amateur and low-end professional astro-cams. So it does have at least moderate awesomeness.

Also keep in mind that NASA wouldn't have changed it out right before launch, so it was probably picked 10 years ago, at which time it would have had super awesomeness.
That goes for all the electronics on board, probably. No chance of a three fingered salute when you're half way there and it goes dodgy. I HAS to work.

The size of the array, the pixel size and the build quality of the array have more effect on resolution than the number of pixels. As others have pointed out number of pixels is a sales pitch.

bear in mind that an ultra high resolution camera is useless if we don't have the bandwidth to transfer the images to us.

It's bandwidth times time that counts, not just bandwidth. It depends whether a lot of separate low res pictures are more interesting than one high res picture.

Bandwidth is bits/time, not bits. The unit of time cancel if you multiplied bandwidth by time?

I don't think we need to disagree about this. What you say about the units is quite correct. I was just making the point that time is also a factor in relating an amount of data to the capacity of a channel. If you want to transmit a high res picture then you can use any 'bandwidth' you like - it may just take you a long time and that time is very relevant, sometimes.
'Bandwidth' is a catch-all expression that is used in the context of internet connections to indicate data capacity and it may not always be the whole story.

Actually the while canceling out is exactly the point. Image size/quality is proportional to number of bits so with a given bandwidth multiplying by time will tell you how many bits you can transfer.

1. What type of camera does the Mars Rover "Curiosity" have?

The Mars Rover "Curiosity" is equipped with 17 cameras, including 9 engineering cameras and 8 science cameras. The engineering cameras are used for navigation and monitoring the rover's surroundings, while the science cameras are used for collecting images and data for scientific purposes.

2. How powerful is the camera on the Mars Rover "Curiosity"?

The Mast Camera (Mastcam) on the Mars Rover "Curiosity" has a resolution of 1600 x 1200 pixels, which is equivalent to 1.9 megapixels. This allows it to capture high-quality images of the Martian landscape and geological features.

3. What is the zoom capability of the Mars Rover "Curiosity" camera?

The Mastcam on the Mars Rover "Curiosity" has a zoom capability of up to 14x. This allows it to capture detailed images of objects up to 12 miles away on the Martian surface.

4. Can the camera on the Mars Rover "Curiosity" capture color images?

Yes, the Mastcam on the Mars Rover "Curiosity" is a color camera that can capture both color and black and white images. It has a set of 6 filters that allow it to capture images in various wavelengths of light, including visible, ultraviolet, and infrared.

5. How does the camera on the Mars Rover "Curiosity" withstand the harsh environment of Mars?

The Mastcam on the Mars Rover "Curiosity" is designed to withstand the extreme conditions on Mars, including dust storms, radiation, and temperature fluctuations. It is protected by a dust cover and has a heating system to prevent condensation on the lenses. It also has a radiation-hardened design and has been tested in a simulated Martian environment before its launch.