Dislocations in FCC and BCC iron due to C interstitials

• Thread starter memo_juentes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fcc Iron
In summary, the strengthening effect of interstitial carbon differs in FCC and BCC iron alloys due to the number of slip systems present. Ferritic steels have higher yield stresses than austenitic steels and the presence of carbon in the interstitial solid solution impedes the movement of dislocations, resulting in a higher stress required for plastic deformation. The solubility limit for carbon in austenite is higher than in ferrite, making it more resistant and therefore stronger.
memo_juentes
I was just wondering why is it that the strengthening effect of interstitial carbon is different in FCC and BCC iron alloys. I can't figure this one out on my own so I thought I'd come to the place where the smart people hang out.

Any opinions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What I meant to ask was which one would result in a more strengthened iron, C interstitials on BCC or FCC?

memo_juentes said:
What I meant to ask was which one would result in a more strengthened iron, C interstitials on BCC or FCC?

I'm pretty sure that ferritic steels have higher yield stresses than austenitic steels anyway, so adding C would only increase it.

"Plastic deformation proceeds in metals by a process known as 'slip', that is, by one layer or plane of atoms gliding over another (the motion of the dislocations).
All metals of similar crystal structure slip on the same crystallographic planes and in the same crystallographic directions. Slip occurs when the shear stress resolved along these planes reaches a certain value —the critical resolved shear stress.
This is a property of the material and does not depend upon the structure. The process of slip is facilitated by
the presence of the metallic bond, since there is no need to break direct bonds between individual atoms as there is in co-valent or electro-valent structures." (Higgins, 1993)

The carbon effect
The carbon form an intertitial solid solution with Fe. These carbon in the solution tend to impede or stop the movement of the dislocation, so that a higher stress is required to allow the movement of dislocations, i.e., plastically deform the metal.

So, if the phase austenite has a higher solubility limit for carbon (2.0%), it will be more resistant.
Frequently ferrite phase is compared with Fe pure, cause it can absorb only 0.02%.
And solid solutions are stronger than pure metals.

1. What are dislocations in FCC and BCC iron?

Dislocations are defects in the crystal structure of a material, specifically in the arrangement of atoms. In FCC (face-centered cubic) and BCC (body-centered cubic) iron, dislocations can occur due to the presence of carbon (C) interstitials.

2. How do C interstitials affect dislocations in iron?

C interstitials can cause dislocations in iron by disrupting the regular arrangement of iron atoms, leading to areas of high stress and strain. This can result in the formation of dislocations where the crystal structure is distorted or bent.

3. What is the difference between FCC and BCC iron in terms of dislocations caused by C interstitials?

FCC iron tends to have a higher density of dislocations due to the closer packing of atoms, making it easier for C interstitials to disrupt the structure. BCC iron, on the other hand, has a lower density of dislocations as the atoms are more spread out, making it more difficult for C interstitials to cause dislocations.

4. How do dislocations affect the properties of iron?

Dislocations can significantly impact the mechanical properties of iron. They can increase the material's strength and hardness, but also reduce its ductility and toughness. Dislocations can also act as sites for crack initiation, leading to potential failure under stress.

5. Can dislocations caused by C interstitials be controlled or minimized?

Yes, dislocations can be controlled or minimized through various methods such as heat treatment, alloying, and mechanical deformation techniques. These methods can help to reduce the number of dislocations or alter their distribution in the material, improving its overall properties.