Equation of Gravity's Acceleration Misunderstanding

In summary: When the velocity is changing, the displacement is modeled as a function of the velocity. For example, if an object is dropped from a high height, the initial velocity is high, and the object falls quickly to the ground. In this case, the object's height is the variable, and the displacement is modeled as a function of height. Similarly, if an object is dropped from a low height, the initial velocity is low, and the object falls more slowly to the ground. In this case, the object's height is the variable, and the displacement is modeled as a function of height and time.
Greatness
Hello physics forum!

As a youngster, it is a great honor to be surrounded by innocent minds. For this, thank you.

Now, my question:

I understand that the equation for vertical displacement caused by gravity is "y=0.5gt^2" or "y=-4.9t^2" in meters or"y=-16t^2" in feet. I have yet to understand why where is a 0.5 in the equation. It is to my understanding that if an object moves at for simplicity, 10 m/s, its displacement will increase by 10 m per second in the same direction. For example, an object in space throw initially at 5 m/s will travel 5 m in the first second, then 10 m away from the initial point in 2 seconds, and so forth. Gravity is a constant acceleration, by -9.8 m/s^2 or -32 ft/s^2. The velocity changes by these rates, depending on which unit. An object dropped will travel, in one second, -9.8 m/s downward, then -19.6 m/s, then -29.4 m/s. But when dealing with displacement, 0.5 is introduced...why?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has to do with figuring out displacement based on a changing velocity.

For example (I am using feet for simplicity), if you hold an object and drop it, the initial velocity is zero, but after one second, the object has accelerated under the influence of gravity to 32 ft/s. How far has the object traveled in that same 1 second? Since the initial velocity is 0 and the velocity at t = 1 s is 32 ft/s, assuming a constant change in velocity in between, it would be reasonable to say that the distance traveled would be the average velocity multiplied by the duration, or:

dist = Vavg * delta T

In this case, delta T = 1 sec., and Vavg = (Vi + Vf) / 2

Plugging in what we have calculated so far:

dist = [(0 + 32) / 2] ft/s * 1 s = 16 feet.

For t = 1 s to 2 s, a similar calculation is followed, but vi = 32 ft/s

A similar result can be obtained using calculus.

Oh! I understand!

But if the velocity is constant as in zero acceleration is involved, such as (theoretically) in space, the displacement is the same as the velocity each second?

If your acceleration is zero, then the .5 goes away. The full equation for displacement is:

x= .5 g t2 + V0t + X0

In that equation, I presume that the output "x" is only for one dimension and can be used for both horizontal and vertical? And that x0 is the initial point that you begin from?

Just like v0 is the initial velocity, x0 is the initial displacement.

The equations of motion can be applied in all three coordinate directions. You will notice that there are quite a few projectile motion problems in the Physics Homework section, and a lot of these problems involve motion in two directions.

Welcome to PF, Greatness.

Usually -- but not always -- the initial displacement x0 is taken to be zero in intro physics problems.

1. What is the Equation of Gravity's Acceleration Misunderstanding?

The Equation of Gravity's Acceleration Misunderstanding refers to a common misconception that the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) is constant for all objects, regardless of their mass.

2. Why is the Equation of Gravity's Acceleration Misunderstanding problematic?

This misunderstanding can lead to incorrect predictions and assumptions about the motion of objects, especially when dealing with objects of varying masses. It can also lead to confusion when studying more complex concepts such as orbital motion.

3. What is the correct equation for gravity's acceleration?

The correct equation for gravity's acceleration is F = ma, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration due to gravity?

The mass of an object does not affect its acceleration due to gravity. All objects, regardless of their mass, will experience the same acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) when falling near the Earth's surface.

5. How can we prevent the Equation of Gravity's Acceleration Misunderstanding?

To prevent this misunderstanding, it is important to understand that the acceleration due to gravity is not constant for all objects. Instead, it is dependent on the mass of the object and the force of gravity acting on it. It is also important to use the correct equation (F = ma) when calculating the acceleration of an object due to gravity.