Where to buy a pure semiconductor?

In summary, the conversation discusses purchasing a piece of fine, pure, highly doped semiconductor without electronic components. The suggested options for purchasing are a surplus silicon dealer or a lab supply house, with a preference for in-person transactions rather than online. The conversation also mentions the possibility of evading the NSA or an embargo.
Stanley514
I do not know if this question relates to this division and would appreciate if it would be moved to proper division.

I want to buy a piece of fine, pure, highly doped semiconductor with dimensions approximately:
7 cm X 7 cm X 1 cm (2 in. X 2 in. X 1/2 in.) It supposed to be just fine and well polished piece of material without any electronic components. In which type of stores it is best to look for?
No online trade or stores please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a surplus silicon dealer. If you don't want to order online, you can hoof it to Mound, Texas:
http://www.novawafers.com/siliconSurplus.php

Otherwise, try lab supply houses. No online trade, huh? Trying to evade the NSA or some kind of embargo?

SteamKing said:
Here's a surplus silicon dealer. If you don't want to order online, you can hoof it to Mound, Texas:
http://www.novawafers.com/siliconSurplus.php

cool ... I didn't know one could buy blank wafers ... I assumed it was all inhouse with chip manufacturers

Otherwise, try lab supply houses. No online trade, huh? Trying to evade the NSA or some kind of embargo?
haha that thought also went through my mind :wink:

BTW .. isn't pure and highly doped a bit of a contradiction ?

Dave

Yah. The operative word about the wafers was that they were 'surplus' to the chip makers needs.

I understand the importance of obtaining high-quality materials for research purposes. In order to purchase a pure semiconductor with specific dimensions, I would recommend contacting a reputable semiconductor manufacturer or supplier. These companies specialize in producing and selling high-purity semiconductors for various applications, including research and development.

You can also try contacting universities or research institutions that have advanced semiconductor labs. They may have surplus materials that they are willing to sell or provide recommendations for where to purchase them.

Avoid purchasing from general stores or online sources, as the purity and quality of the semiconductor may not meet your requirements. It is important to ensure that the semiconductor you purchase is of the highest quality to ensure accurate and reliable research results.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction for purchasing a pure semiconductor for your research needs.

1. Where can I purchase a pure semiconductor?

Pure semiconductors can be purchased from a variety of sources, including online retailers, electronics stores, and specialized semiconductor suppliers. It is important to research the reputation and quality of the supplier before making a purchase.

2. How can I ensure that the semiconductor is pure?

To ensure that the semiconductor is pure, look for suppliers that offer certifications or quality control measures, such as ISO 9001 certification. Additionally, consider purchasing from suppliers that specialize in pure semiconductors and have a good track record in the industry.

3. What is the cost of a pure semiconductor?

The cost of a pure semiconductor can vary depending on the type of semiconductor, size, and supplier. On average, pure semiconductors can range from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars. It is important to compare prices from different suppliers to find the best deal.

4. Can I purchase a pure semiconductor in bulk?

Yes, many suppliers offer bulk purchasing options for pure semiconductors. This can be a cost-effective option for businesses or researchers who require a large number of semiconductors. It is best to contact the supplier directly to inquire about bulk purchasing options.

5. Are there any specific precautions I should take when purchasing a pure semiconductor?

When purchasing a pure semiconductor, it is important to handle it with care and avoid any contamination. It is recommended to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and an anti-static wrist strap, when handling the semiconductor. Additionally, make sure to store the semiconductor in a clean and dry environment to maintain its purity.