Meaning of Dyadic Green Function in Electromagnetism

In summary, the use of a scalar Green function in the vector potential formulation allows for the calculation of electric and magnetic fields in the same direction as the source. However, this is not the case when using equations involving the fields themselves, requiring the use of a dyadic Green function. The columns and rows of the dyadic represent the direction of the component of the Green's function and the component of the differential bit of current, respectively. For example, Gxy would represent the x component of the field due to the y component of the source current. Understanding tensor products can help in understanding how the dyad operates.
Apollo2010
I know that in the vector potential formulation one can use a scalar Green function (to find the said potential and from then on the electric and magnetic fields), and that this works because the components of the potential are in the same direction as those of the source - i.e. a current in the x-direction will give you the x-component of the potential.

I also know that this is no longer true if instead of a differential equation involving the vector potential, we use equations involving the fields, and this is why we have to use a dyadic Green function in this case rather than a scalar one.

My question is: what do the columns and rows of the dyadic represent?

I assume one index represents the direction of the component of the Green's function itself, i.e. the direction of the component of the field due to a unit idealized differential bit of current? And the other index represents the component of the differential bit of current responsible for that dyadic element? For instance, Gxy would be the x component of the field due to the y component of the source current (or the other way around?)? Is that right, and if so which index represents what?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Gxy would be the x component of the field due to the y component of the source current" is correct.

You should take a look at tensor products to see how the dyad acts, though Meir Achuz pretty much explains it, but it isn't that scary of an operation. I always looked at it like a matrix-vector product (as scary as that may be to mathematicians).

Thank you very much!

The dyadic Green function in electromagnetism is a mathematical tool used to solve Maxwell's equations for the electric and magnetic fields in the presence of sources, such as charges and currents. It is a tensor quantity that relates the fields at a given point to the sources at another point in space.

To answer your question, the columns and rows of the dyadic represent the directions of the source and field components, respectively. For example, Gxy would represent the contribution of the y-component of the source to the x-component of the field. This is because the dyadic Green function takes into account the vector nature of the fields, allowing for the possibility of a cross-coupling between different components.

In the vector potential formulation, a scalar Green function is sufficient because the potential and the source are both vector quantities in the same direction. However, when working with the fields, a dyadic Green function is necessary to properly account for the vector nature of the fields.

Overall, the dyadic Green function is a crucial tool in solving complex electromagnetic problems and understanding the relationship between the fields and sources in a given system.

What is the Dyadic Green Function in Electromagnetism?

The Dyadic Green Function is a mathematical tool used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric and magnetic fields generated by a given source distribution. It takes into account the properties of the medium in which the electromagnetic fields are propagating.

What is the importance of the Dyadic Green Function in Electromagnetism?

The Dyadic Green Function allows for a more accurate and efficient calculation of electromagnetic fields compared to other methods. It is also used in a variety of applications, such as antenna design, electromagnetic scattering, and electromagnetic wave propagation.

How is the Dyadic Green Function related to Maxwell's equations?

The Dyadic Green Function is a solution to Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. This means that by using the Dyadic Green Function, one can solve for the electric and magnetic fields in any given situation.

What are some common applications of the Dyadic Green Function?

The Dyadic Green Function is used in a wide range of applications, including antenna design, radar systems, satellite communication, and electromagnetic compatibility testing. It is also used in theoretical studies of electromagnetic wave propagation, such as in the field of metamaterials.

How is the Dyadic Green Function calculated?

The Dyadic Green Function is typically calculated using mathematical techniques such as Green's functions, Fourier transforms, and boundary value problems. Depending on the complexity of the problem, different methods may be used to obtain an accurate solution.