Aluminium Temper for Best Ni-Cr Coating: 6063,6061,6082,6005

In summary, the conversation discusses the best aluminium temper for a coating of Ni-Cr. The options listed are 6063, 6061, 6082, and 6005. The speaker believes that 6061 is the best option for accepting coatings, but mentions that a zincating dip and possibly a plating of flash copper may also be necessary. They have had success with 6061-T6 in general applications and do not anticipate any issues with this alloy/temper combination.
yaver
I would like to Know which aluminium temper will get the best coating of Ni-Cr, the options I have are: 6063,6061,6082,6005.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You've listed a set of varying compositions, not tempers.

I almost positive that 6061 accepts coatings well. I'm not sure about the other compositions.

And no matter what the composition, a zincating dip will be required (and possibly a plating of flash copper, depending on surface quality).

I use 6061-T6 in a lot of general applications. I have never had a problem with it accepting a surface coating, but I can't remember off the top of my head if I have ever had to have something in aluminum chromed.

If you went with that alloy/temper combo, I don't think you would have any issues at all.

1. What is the best temper for achieving a high-quality Ni-Cr coating on aluminium?

The best temper for achieving a high-quality Ni-Cr coating on aluminium is the T6 temper, which is a solution heat-treated and artificially aged temper. This temper provides optimal strength and ductility for the aluminium, making it more resistant to cracking or warping during the coating process.

2. Can any of the mentioned alloys be used interchangeably for the Ni-Cr coating process?

No, the different alloys (6063, 6061, 6082, and 6005) have different compositions and properties, which may affect the final quality of the coating. It is important to select the specific alloy recommended by the coating manufacturer for the best results.

3. Are there any specific considerations to keep in mind when selecting the appropriate aluminium temper for Ni-Cr coating?

Yes, besides the desired strength and ductility, it is important to consider the surface finish and cleanliness of the aluminium. A smoother and cleaner surface will result in a better adhesion of the coating and a higher quality finish.

4. What are the main benefits of using Ni-Cr coating on aluminium?

Ni-Cr coating on aluminium provides a protective layer that improves the corrosion resistance and wear resistance of the metal. It also enhances the surface hardness and can provide decorative finishes.

5. Are there any alternative coatings to Ni-Cr that can be used on aluminium?

Yes, there are other coating options such as anodizing, powder coating, and electroplating. However, each of these coatings may have different properties and may not provide the same level of protection and durability as Ni-Cr coating.