Exploring Pulsars: Age, Pulse Height, and Distance through Radio Astronomy

In summary, the conversation was about a lab report for a university student who was having trouble with their abstract. The experiment focused on using a virtual radio telescope to find and compare ages, pulse height, and distances of pulsars. By analyzing the time periods of pulsar rotations, the age of the stars can be determined. The results showed that the youngest pulsar tested was 0531+21 and the oldest was 2154+40. The experiment also investigated the relationship between pulse height and frequency, showing that it decays exponentially. Additionally, the method of using interstellar dispersion led to the ability to calculate the distance between the Earth and a pulsar, with the resulting distances being 2184 ± 2071 pc and
adam300
Hey guys,
I'm in the middle of writing a lab report and I'm having trouble with my abstract. I know as a 3rd year uni student I should know how to write one by now. I feel it's a bit long, what do you think? How could I improve? I'm not asking you to write it for me just some hints.
The experiment is 'Radio Astronomy of Pulsars' (check out CLEA for more deets)

'In this experiment the periodic signal produced by a virtual radio telescope is used to find and compare ages, pulse height and distances of pulsars. By finding the time periods of pulsars rotations it is possible to then use this information to find the age. In general, the slower the period the older the star is. Using this, it was shown that relatively 0531+21 is the youngest pulsar that was tested with 2154+40 being the oldest. Next, the pulse height is investigated to see how this varies with frequency. It was shown in graphical form that pulse height decays exponentially as the frequency increases. Interstellar dispersion, via use of the virtual radio telescope, leads to the ability to calculate the distance between the Earth and a pulsar. The method leads to a distance of 2184 ± 2071 pc to 0628-28 and 110.8 ± 98.6 pc to 0531+21. Relating this to calculations made at CERN, my values agree with these measurements.'

Thank you!
Adam

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you drop some sentences?

'In this experiment the periodic signal produced by a virtual radio telescope is used to find and compare ages, pulse height and distances of pulsars. By finding the time periods of pulsars rotations it is possible to then use this information to find the age. In general, the slower the period the older the star is. Using this, it was shown that relatively 0531+21 is the youngest pulsar that was tested with 2154+40 being the oldest. Next, the pulse height is investigated to see how this varies with frequency. It was shown in graphical form that pulse height decays exponentially as the frequency increases. Interstellar dispersion, via use of the virtual radio telescope, leads to the ability to calculate the distance between the Earth and a pulsar. The method leads to a distance of 2184 ± 2071 pc to 0628-28 and 110.8 ± 98.6 pc to 0531+21. Relating this to calculations made at CERN, my values agree with these measurements.'

The thought is people familiar with this topic will know these concepts and in any event you can describe them in your report.

1. What is an astronomy lab report abstract?

An astronomy lab report abstract is a brief summary of the key points and findings of a lab report related to astronomy. It typically includes the purpose of the experiment, the methods used, the results obtained, and the conclusions drawn. It is usually the first section of a lab report and is meant to give readers a quick overview of the experiment.

2. Why is an abstract important in an astronomy lab report?

An abstract is important because it allows readers to quickly understand the main points and findings of a lab report without having to read the entire report. It also helps readers determine if the report is relevant to their interests and if they want to read the full report for more details.

3. How long should an astronomy lab report abstract be?

An astronomy lab report abstract is typically around 150-200 words. It should be concise and to the point, including only the most important information from the lab report. It should also be written in a clear and easy-to-understand manner.

4. What should be included in an astronomy lab report abstract?

An astronomy lab report abstract should include the purpose of the experiment, the methods used, the results obtained, and the conclusions drawn. It should also briefly mention any significant findings or implications of the experiment.

5. Can an abstract be written before the rest of the lab report?

Yes, an abstract can be written before the rest of the lab report. In fact, it is recommended to write the abstract after completing the experiment, as it will be easier to summarize the key points and findings. However, it is important to review and revise the abstract after completing the full report to ensure it accurately reflects the content of the report.