Solve 11.28 & 11.25 LOST Homework: dV/dx & Distance in Picture

• Thread starter talaroue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, Homework Statement states that the student is trying to find the distance traveled between two points. For 11.25, the student is trying to determine the position of a particle when V=
talaroue

Homework Statement

11.28 I have to solve acceleration given the equation for acceleration given the intial velocity=3.6 m/s, and the V equation V=.18V0/x

11.25 I have to find the distance it travels using the information in the picture below

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dynamics047.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
For 11.28, you lost me after a=v*dv/dx. Since a=v*dv/dx and v=0.18v0/x, why not derive "v" to find dv/dx and multiply the result by 0.18v0/x? That'll give you "a".

For 11.25, what's the actual question? The distance traveled between what time and what time?

ideasrule said:
For 11.28, you lost me after a=v*dv/dx. Since a=v*dv/dx and v=0.18v0/x, why not derive "v" to find dv/dx and multiply the result by 0.18v0/x? That'll give you "a".

For 11.25, what's the actual question? The distance traveled between what time and what time?

For 11.28 I am not sure if I understand what you mean? I derived V using the relationship to a, which is a=V*dV/dx. making it V=a*dx/dV.

for 11.25 the actual question is determine the postion of the particle when V=6m/s

talaroue said:
For 11.28 I am not sure if I understand what you mean? I derived V using the relationship to a, which is a=V*dV/dx. making it V=a*dx/dV.

You know v already, don't you? It's 0.18v0/x. You don't know dv/dx, so you have to derive 0.18v0/x to figure it out.

Did I misunderstand the question?

for 11.25 the actual question is determine the postion of the particle when V=6m/s
Does it start at x=4 and v=0? If so, you set up the integral correctly, though I haven't checked your calculations. Note that an easier way to integrate v/(1-kv) is to rewrite it as 1/k * (1-kv+1)/(1-kv). You can split (1-kv+1)/(1-kv) into (1-kv)/(1-kv) + 1/(1-kv), both of which are trivial to integrate.

hey for 11.25 the first one, look at this formula a ds = v dv, divide ds over so u have
a = v (dv/ds), u have v= 0.18vo/x , which is velocity as a function of position, or x. so if you derive that formula v u get dv/ds and u can sub it in for dv/ds and u will have all unknowns solved, let me knw if u understand it or not

im sorry that was for 11.28 my mistake

and to get the formula a ds = v dv , u have 2 equations a= dv/dt and v=ds/dt, solve for dt for both equations, and substitute, and u should be able to get a ds = vdv

Talaroue,

I sent this to your other thread, maybe you have not found.

I do not understand your last line in problem 11.25. It is all right up to then, if you meant natural logarithm (ln) .[tex] 0.4x-1.6=1/k^2[1-kv-ln(1-kv)]_0^6[/tex]

If I understand well, you substituted v=6 first, then v=0, and subtracted. But how did you get that 48.32?

1-6k-ln(1-6k)=0.1258+2.07317=2.1989, and divided by k^2: 103.6

ehild

1. What is the meaning of "dV/dx" in this homework?

"dV/dx" represents the derivative of the function V with respect to x. It is used to measure the rate of change of V with respect to x.

2. How do I solve for dV/dx in this context?

To solve for dV/dx, you will first need to find the function V and then take its derivative with respect to x. This can be done using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or the chain rule.

3. What is the significance of solving for dV/dx in this homework?

Solving for dV/dx allows us to understand how the variable V changes with respect to the variable x. This can help us make predictions and analyze data in various scientific fields.

4. How does the concept of distance relate to this homework?

The concept of distance is often used in mathematics and science to measure the space between two points. In this homework, we may be using the concept of distance to solve for the derivative of a function or to find the rate of change of a variable.

5. Can you provide an example of how to apply these concepts in real-world situations?

One example could be in physics, where we use the derivative to calculate the velocity of an object at a specific point in time. Distance could be used to measure the displacement of the object over a certain time period, and dV/dx would represent the rate of change of the object's velocity with respect to time.