Understanding Stefan's Law: A Guide for Students in Class 11

• Thread starter Ayushi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses Stefan's law, which states that the energy radiated by a black body is proportional to the absolute temperature raised to the fourth power. The law applies even when the black body is surrounded by a warmer object, but the net heat gain will be lower. The emissivity of the object is used in the calculation, but not the emissivity of the surroundings. This is because the object is radiating heat to the surroundings, so a white object would radiate less heat than a black object. The amount of radiation reaching another object also depends on the view factor.
Ayushi
Hello i am a new member of this forum. I am a student of class 11th. I came across a new law , 'Stefan's law', in my class. I did not understand it much. Could any of you help me to understand it please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if it is surrounded by something of a temperature higher than itself? Would it still radiate energy? Won't that be against thermodynamic laws?

asdofindia said:
What if it is surrounded by something of a temperature higher than itself? Would it still radiate energy? Won't that be against thermodynamic laws?

It would still radiate heat, it is just that it would have a net heat gain.

Why does on Stefan's law only the emissivity of the object is used- why the emissivity of the surrounding is not taken into account?

Last edited:
GT1 said:
Why does on Stefan's law only the emissivity of the object is used- why the emissivity of the surrounding is not taken into account?

Because the object is radiating heat to the surroundings. So if the object it white, it will radiate less heat than if it were black.

How much radiation reaches another object depends on something called "view factor".

1. What is Stefan's Law?

Stefan's Law, also known as the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of thermal radiation it emits. It states that the total energy emitted by a blackbody is directly proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. How is Stefan's Law derived?

Stefan's Law is derived from the principles of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. It is a result of the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, which relates the intensity of thermal radiation to the temperature and the emissivity of a body.

3. What is the significance of Stefan's Law?

Stefan's Law is important in understanding the behavior of thermal radiation and its relationship to temperature. It is also used in many applications, such as calculating the energy output of stars and predicting the temperature of planets.

4. How does Stefan's Law relate to the greenhouse effect?

Stefan's Law is one of the fundamental principles that explains the greenhouse effect. It states that the total energy emitted by a blackbody is proportional to its absolute temperature. In the case of Earth's atmosphere, this means that the more greenhouse gases there are, the more thermal radiation is trapped, leading to an increase in temperature.

5. How can I apply Stefan's Law in practical situations?

Stefan's Law can be used in various practical situations, such as in designing solar panels to maximize their efficiency, or in calculating the heat transfer between objects. It is also used in industries that involve high-temperature processes, such as metallurgy and glass manufacturing.