How to get into military research with a masters?

In summary, the speaker has obtained a masters degree in astrophysics and is looking for jobs, including in civilian military research. They are wondering about the qualifications and opportunities for research in particle or plasma physics and observational astronomy within the military. They are also considering non-military labs, such as the Pacific Northwest National Lab. The other speaker mentions a link to an Iranian site, possibly making a joke or trying to cause trouble.
Ai52487963
Come June I will have my masters from a top uni in the field of astrophysics (though most of my thesis work was in statistics). I'm looking for jobs just about anywhere but I've heard good things about civilian military research.

How does one get into doing research in something like particle or plasma physics or even observational astronomy with the military? Do they only go for phds or do they hire fresh masters grads? Should I be looking at non-military labs instead (eg pacific northwest national lab)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you post a link to an Iranian site?

uby said:
Why did you post a link to an Iranian site?

Either jokingly referring me to Iranian nuclear energy research, or trying to get me on a terror watch list somewhere.

Congratulations on completing your masters in astrophysics! With your background in statistics and interest in military research, it sounds like you have a unique and valuable skill set.

To get into military research with a masters, you can start by researching and reaching out to military research institutions and laboratories. Examples include the U.S. Army Research Laboratory, Naval Research Laboratory, Air Force Research Laboratory, and Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). These organizations often have job postings for research positions, and you can also reach out to them directly to inquire about potential opportunities.

In terms of qualifications, it depends on the specific position and project. Some may require a PhD, while others may be open to hiring fresh masters graduates. It's best to review the job postings and reach out to the organizations for more information.

Additionally, you can also consider non-military labs such as the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. These labs often have collaborations and partnerships with the military, and your background in astrophysics and statistics may be applicable to their research projects as well.

Overall, it's important to keep an open mind and explore various options in both military and non-military labs. Networking and reaching out to professionals in the field can also be helpful in learning about potential opportunities. Good luck in your job search!

1. How do I get into military research with a masters?

In order to get into military research with a masters degree, you should first research and identify the specific branch or agency of the military you are interested in working for. Then, you should reach out to that branch or agency to inquire about their current research projects and opportunities. It may also be helpful to network with current military researchers and attend relevant conferences or workshops.

2. What qualifications do I need for military research with a masters?

Qualifications for military research with a masters degree may vary depending on the specific branch or agency. However, most positions will require a masters degree in a relevant field such as engineering, physics, or computer science. Additional qualifications may include security clearance, experience with specific research techniques or equipment, and a strong understanding of military operations and technology.

3. Is previous military experience necessary for military research with a masters?

No, previous military experience is not necessarily required for military research with a masters degree. However, having prior military experience may give you a better understanding of military operations and culture, which can be helpful in conducting research for the military.

4. What kind of research is conducted in the military with a masters degree?

Research in the military with a masters degree can vary widely depending on the branch or agency. Some common areas of research include developing new technologies or equipment, improving military operations and strategy, and conducting scientific studies to inform military decision-making.

5. Are there any benefits to pursuing military research with a masters degree?

There are several potential benefits to pursuing military research with a masters degree. These can include job stability and security, opportunities to work on cutting-edge technologies and projects, and the chance to make a meaningful impact on national defense. Additionally, military research positions often come with competitive salaries and benefits.