What Would Happen if High Light Density Hit Water?

In summary, if a high photon density light package was directed to a volume of water for a fraction of a second, it would vaporize everything it touches.
1832vin
what happens if a high photon density light package was directed to a volume of water for a fraction of a second? what would happen?
i mean what if the whole sun's light is to be shined from the concave lens (pretend the sun only shines on 1 side) i mean, the frequency isn't much higher, so PHOTOelectric effect wouldn really happen... but all those photons onto a volume of water (let's presume all photons makes contact) for a millisecond, would the water evaporate and turn into gas exploding?
is it even possible to energies ATOMS in a small time frame?

Science news on Phys.org
what happens if a high photon density light package was directed to a volume of water for a fraction of a second? what would happen?
Same as any light - but more so. Details depend on the type of light.

i mean what if the whole sun's light is to be shined from the concave lens (pretend the sun only shines on 1 side)
Oh that would easily vaporize everything it touches.

is it even possible to energies ATOMS in a small time frame?
The time scale of the electromagnetic dipole interaction is of order 10-23s ... milliseconds is more like 10-3s.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
The time scale of the electromagnetic dipole interaction is of order 10-23s ... milliseconds is more like 10-3s.
There is no such thing. The time scale of the interaction is not a property of electromagnetism, but rather the size of the thing it is interacting with. The oft-quoted 10-23 sec is the time it takes light to travel 1 fermi, and is therefore the minimum time it takes for anything to interact with a nucleon.

Thanks for the clarification. Timescale does indeed depend on the thing under consideration.
10-18s to cross an atom for eg. we can also talk about the mean-time to ionize a sample given the flux etc etc etc.
Properly the "size" should be the crossection - which does depend on the interaction.

... but OP was talking about the total output from the Sun here so I figured the nuclear interaction oom figure was appropriate here.

The question before us is whether there is sufficient time for the entire photon flux from the Sun, concentrated on "some water" to "excite the atoms". The point I'm trying to make is that the sort of time thought of as "small" (milliseconds) is actually very large.

We could ask what would constitute a time period so small that there would be no noticeable effect I suppose.
I think OP is under the impression that there is a lower threshold time in which nothing would happen.

On a millisecond timescale, you probably would not get much happening.

On shorter timescales though... look up "ultrafast" or "femtosecond" lasers to see a huge, diverse amount of physics on light propagation through solids/fluids.

Claude.

What Would Happen if High Light Density Hit Water?

High light density hitting water refers to a scenario where a large amount of light energy is directed towards a body of water. Here are five frequently asked questions about what would happen in such a situation.

1. Will the water evaporate?

No, the water will not evaporate because evaporation requires heat energy, not light energy. However, some of the water may turn into water vapor due to the increase in temperature caused by the high light density.

2. Will the water temperature increase?

Yes, the water temperature will increase. Light energy is converted into heat energy when it comes into contact with water, leading to an increase in temperature. The amount of temperature increase will depend on the intensity of the light and the volume of water.

3. Will the water change color?

The water may appear to change color due to the reflection and refraction of light on the water's surface. However, the actual color of the water will remain the same. The color change is only an optical illusion caused by the light hitting the water at a certain angle.

4. Will the marine life be affected?

Yes, the high light density can have a significant impact on marine life. Some organisms may be able to adapt to the sudden increase in water temperature, while others may struggle to survive. The light can also affect the photosynthesis process of aquatic plants, which can disrupt the food chain in the ecosystem.

5. Can high light density cause water pollution?

High light density itself does not cause water pollution. However, it can have indirect effects on water quality. The increase in temperature can lead to the growth of algae, which can deplete oxygen levels in the water and harm aquatic life. Additionally, the heat can also accelerate chemical reactions, leading to the release of pollutants into the water.