Momentum of a photon and Einstein

In summary, according to Einstein, photons have energy and momentum. The momentum is related to the mass and the energy is related to the frequency of the photon.
Moneer81
Hello,

I am trying to teach myself quantum mechanics so take it easy on me.

In 1905, Einstein proposed that light is made of photons and that each photon carries energy E = hf (f is frequency) and momentum p = h/w (where w is wavelength)

My question is how did he go from the definition of momentum which is mass times velocity to the aforementioned p = h/w. Is there an easy straightforward answer to this or is it something derived from classical thermodynamics?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer, but...

I don't think the word "momentum" refers to precisely the same thing in the relativistic sense Einstein was using it, as it does in Newtonian mass*velocity.

Or perhaps the Newtonian equation is just a simplified "good enough" version of what's really going on, and is not the true equation? Like, maybe there's an equation of momentum that doesn't refer to mass, so that the momentum of massless particles with energy can be calculated as well as the momentum of massive particles.

Interested to see what the answer is, myself.

I understand it goes like this:

p = mv = mc = mcc/c = E/c = hf/c = hc/cw = h/w.

I think this is what my textbook "Quantum Mechanics" by Bransden & Joachain page 39 is saying.

Likes Gaurav Bajpeyee
yeah I'll be interested to figure this out a little better too.
You also raised an interesting question, if the photon is a massless particle that what does it mean for it to have momentum?

For me momentum is a property of mass but I guess you might be right, the momentum Einstein was talking about might be something different that the classical momentum that we are familiar with.

zekise said:
I understand it goes like this:
p = mv = mc = mcc/c = E/c = hf/c = hc/cw = h/w.
I think this is what my textbook "Quantum Mechanics" by Bransden & Joachain page 39 is saying.

ok well that makes mathematical sense to me

The Newtonian formula for momentum is incorrect, it is accurate for non-relativistic motion (velocity much less than that of light) but for relativistic cases (velocity comparable to that of light) it is inadaquate. A photon is an example of relativistic speeds and thus Newtonian mechanics fails, as Einstein showed.

The correct equation for the energy of a body of rest mass m in the relativistic case is

E²=(mc²)²+(pc)²

Where p is the momentum of the body, which is not mv. For a photon m=0, so we get E=pc. According to Planck, the energy E of a photon is hf, so hf=pc. Rearranging we get p=h/wavelength. Notice also that when p=0 (i.e. in the rest frame) we obtain E=mc².

The derivation given by someone else in here doesn't work as it relies on the classical definition of momentum.

I just want to clarify the history.
1. Planck suggested E=h\nu to understand the high frequency spectrum of black body radiation.
2. Einstein used Planck's suggestion to understand the photo effect.
3. The connection with momentum was first made by deBroglie to give a wave understanding of the Bohr hypothesis, leading to QM.
4. It had been known since Maxwell that light had both energy and momentum densities, connected by E=pc.

To put things together:

[tex]p = \frac {E}{c} = \frac {h \nu}{\lambda \nu} = \frac {h}{\lambda}[/tex]

Likes Gaurav Bajpeyee

1. What is the momentum of a photon?

The momentum of a photon refers to the amount of movement or energy that a photon possesses. It is calculated by multiplying the photon's wavelength by its frequency, according to the equation p = h/λ, where p is momentum, h is Planck's constant, and λ is wavelength.

2. How does the momentum of a photon relate to the theory of relativity?

The momentum of a photon plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of relativity. According to the theory, the momentum of a photon is directly proportional to its energy, and the speed of light is constant for all observers. This means that as the energy of a photon increases, so does its momentum, and its speed remains unchanged.

3. Can the momentum of a photon be measured?

Yes, the momentum of a photon can be measured using various methods, such as the Compton effect or the photoelectric effect. These experiments involve measuring the change in momentum of a photon before and after it interacts with a material or electron, allowing for the calculation of its initial momentum.

4. How does the momentum of a photon differ from that of a larger particle?

The momentum of a photon differs from that of a larger particle in that it is not dependent on the mass of the photon. Unlike larger particles, the momentum of a photon is solely determined by its energy and does not change regardless of its speed or direction of travel.

5. Can the momentum of a photon be changed?

Yes, the momentum of a photon can be changed through interactions with other particles or materials. For example, when a photon is absorbed by an atom, its momentum is transferred to the atom, causing it to move in the opposite direction. Additionally, the momentum of a photon can be altered through processes such as reflection, refraction, and scattering.