Please help Molecular formula Q

In summary, the insecticide dieldrin has a molecular formula of C12H8Cl6O and a molar mass of 381 g/mol. When 1.5100g of dieldrin is burned, it produces 2.0938g of CO2 and 0.2855g of H2O. There are half as many chlorine atoms as carbon atoms in the compound. The molar mass of dieldrin can be calculated by converting the masses of CO2 and H2O to moles and then finding the decimal ratios of C, H, and O. Finally, the mole of Cl can be added in, which is half the mole of C. The resulting formula is then multiplied to
PhysicsinCalifornia
The insecticide deildrin contains carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and chlorin. 1.5100g sample of this compound is burned to produce 2.0938g CO2 (g) and 0.2855g H2O(g). They're half as many chlorine atoms as carbon atoms in the compound. The molar mass of the dieldrin is 381g/mole. What is the molecular formula?

I don't know where to start on this. Can anyone give me a jumpstart? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How about converting the masses in moles...:smile:

I just attempted this and got an answer of C6H4O14Cl3, but the molecular mass of that is 406 and not 381 :(.

I'll lay out what I did anyways and maybe you can spot my mistake and be able to figure it out for yourself :).

-convert carbon dioxide and water to moles, and then you'll be able to figure out moles of C, H, and O
-divide by the smallest amount of moles to get decimal ratios between the elements' moles
-then add in the moles of Cl, which is half the moles of C (given in the problem)
-finally multiply formula to get all whole numbers

ksinclair13 said:
I just attempted this and got an answer of C6H4O14Cl3, but the molecular mass of that is 406 and not 381 :(.

I'll lay out what I did anyways and maybe you can spot my mistake and be able to figure it out for yourself :).

-convert carbon dioxide and water to moles, and then you'll be able to figure out moles of C, H, and O
-divide by the smallest amount of moles to get decimal ratios between the elements' moles
-then add in the moles of Cl, which is half the moles of C (given in the problem)
-finally multiply formula to get all whole numbers

That's actually how I started on this problem.

The only thing is that if I calculate the mole using CO2 and H2O, the mole will be different for O. Using CO2, I got 0.095151 moles of O, but with H2O, I got 0.015847 mol of O.
Which one is right?

Hey, I looked up the formula for dieldrin online. The molecular formula is
[tex]C_{12}H_8Cl_8O[/tex]
www.chemfinder.com

But that doesn't follow the half as much Cl as C, and that has a molecular mass of about 452 g/mol.

PhysicsinCalifornia said:
Hey, I looked up the formula for dieldrin online. The molecular formula is
[tex]C_{12}H_8Cl_8O[/tex]
www.chemfinder.com

Sorry, the molecular formula is
[tex]C_{12}H_8Cl_6O[/tex]

Thanks for the help

What is a molecular formula?

A molecular formula is a representation of a chemical compound that shows the number and type of atoms present in the molecule. It is commonly used in chemistry to describe the composition of a substance.

Why is it important to know the molecular formula of a compound?

Knowing the molecular formula of a compound allows scientists to determine the identity of the compound and predict its properties. It also provides information about the ratio of atoms in the molecule, which is important for understanding its chemical and physical characteristics.

How do you determine the molecular formula of a compound?

The molecular formula of a compound can be determined by analyzing its empirical formula, which is the simplest whole number ratio of atoms in the molecule, and using experimental data such as mass spectroscopy and elemental analysis.

What is the difference between a molecular formula and an empirical formula?

A molecular formula represents the actual number of atoms of each element in a molecule, while an empirical formula represents the simplest whole number ratio of atoms in a molecule. For example, the molecular formula for glucose is C6H12O6, while its empirical formula is CH2O.

Can two compounds have the same molecular formula?

Yes, two different compounds can have the same molecular formula. This is known as isomerism, where two or more compounds have the same molecular formula but different structural arrangements. This can result in different physical and chemical properties for each compound.