Is Acceleration Measured on the Proof Mass or the Surface?

In summary, an accelerometer measures the acceleration of the proof mass, which is equal to the force acting on it divided by its mass. This force is also equal to the tensional force on the spring, and the acceleration measured by the accelerometer may not always be the same as the surface it is attached to.
chandran
correct me if wrong
an accelerometer consists of a mass(proof mass). say the proof mass is
x kg. The accelerometer sensed the acceleration of the proof mass.

suppose the accelerometer reading is y can i say the force acting on the proof mass is x.y?

Some theory says that the accelerometer measures the acceleration of the surface on which it is attached.

Which is true. The accelerometer measure the acceleration of the proof mass or

The accelerometer measure the acceleration of the surface on which the instrument is attached.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only ones that I know of monitor the proof mass, whose relative acceleration is opposed to that of the surface (ie: it's inertia makes it lag behind the accelerometer housing). It doesn't have to be any kg-class weight, either. There are micro-machined units where the proof mass is a cantelever beam etched on a silicon chip. I think that in those ones the electrical resistance of the beam changes as it bends.
I don't know the answer to your x-y question.

chandran said:
correct me if wrong
an accelerometer consists of a mass(proof mass). say the proof mass is
x kg. The accelerometer sensed the acceleration of the proof mass.

suppose the accelerometer reading is y can i say the force acting on the proof mass is x.y?

Some theory says that the accelerometer measures the acceleration of the surface on which it is attached.

Which is true. The accelerometer measure the acceleration of the proof mass or

The accelerometer measure the acceleration of the surface on which the instrument is attached.
For clarity, let us say a is acceleration (instead of your y), and m is the proof mass (instead of x).
Let:
F = tensional force on spring
k = spring constant
x = displacement of proof mass

Spring equation:

[tex](1)\quad F = -kx[/tex]

Acceleration:

[tex](2)\quad F = ma\quad \mbox{OR} \quad a=\frac{F}{m}[/tex]

(2) shows you are correct with regards to force being the product of acceleration and mass.
(1) is saying acceleration is measured by this instrument on the proof mass. Under normal circumstances, this will be the same as the surface upon which the instrument rests, but consider the situation where the instrument slides on that surface. It is still registering acceleration on the proof mass, but no longer is that the same as the surface upon which it rests.

What is an accelerometer-proof mass?

An accelerometer-proof mass is a component of an accelerometer, which is a device used to measure acceleration. The proof mass is a small, inert object that moves in response to acceleration, and allows the accelerometer to measure the force exerted on it.

How does an accelerometer-proof mass work?

The proof mass is suspended by springs inside the accelerometer. When the accelerometer experiences acceleration, the proof mass moves in the opposite direction, causing the springs to stretch or compress. This movement is measured and converted into an electrical signal, which can then be interpreted as acceleration.

What is the purpose of an accelerometer-proof mass?

The proof mass allows the accelerometer to measure acceleration by responding to the force exerted on it. Without the proof mass, the accelerometer would not be able to accurately measure acceleration.

How is the proof mass chosen for an accelerometer?

The proof mass is chosen based on the desired range and sensitivity of the accelerometer. A larger proof mass will provide a wider range of measurement, while a smaller proof mass will provide a higher sensitivity. The mass must also be carefully calibrated for accurate measurements.

What are some common applications of accelerometers with proof mass?

Accelerometers with proof mass have a wide range of applications, including measuring vibration and shock in machinery, monitoring the movement of vehicles and aircraft, and even in consumer electronics such as smartphones for features like screen rotation and step tracking.