Brain Physics: Physicists' Role in Brain Functions Research

• Medical
  • Thread starter Larry89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Radiation/nuclear physicists often study imaging techniques such as PET scans and fMRIs, while biophysicists look at problems like the analysis of 3D structures of proteins. Engineers often apply their knowledge to modelling circuits in the brain, such as ion channel and flow. And psychologists often require the insights and expertise of physicists in order to study the brain more deeply.
Larry89
What’s the physicists’ role in the brain functions' research?
Is it only the imaging (PET scans, fMRIs)?

Biology news on Phys.org
scarcely, there is a branch of physics called biophysics. The problems are so diverse as to defy easy description, but some examples are the analysis of 3d structure of proteins which might be the voltage gated channels that underly the action potential or the neurofibrillary tangles that have been implicated in Alzheimers. The study of the special senses, in particular, vision and hearing require keen physical insight, and one of the early pioneers was a man by the name of Ernest Mach. The point is at some level all brain processes are physical in nature and as such often require the insights and expertise of physicists to unravel the precise mechanisms and structures involved.

depends on which physics branch you look at...radiation/nuclear would look at imaging. Most others that deal in molecular structures look at growth as stated above but usually not in the brain. There are those that study electric circuits (usually engineers) and apply their knowledge to modelling circuits in the brain such as ion channel and flow.

Edit: Thats why i listed them in brackets (usually engineers) rather than saying also engineers study these things, because they do study EC/E&M/Mathmodelling, but they're title is engineer.

Last edited:
I would have to disagree somewhat with above, if "engineers" are PhD's in EE sure, but i would count them in as physicists. In my program of study, for instance we had two EE's one working on cochlear implants so that the deaf may hear, another using sophisticated signal processing techniques to EKG's. Jarvik as in Jarvik heart I cannot recall. Others were ME PhD's.

thank u all, i am starting this year my bachelors on physics with medical physics(in england) and i think brain function is a really intersting research area for further studies.

You might want to ask your professors how indepth into the psychology they go, because you may only be dealing with radiation medicine/therapy...that is developing imaging techniques to help neurosci/neuropsych researchers study the brain more indepthly.

i think above is good advice, you may also want to consider a double major in physics and biology with latter emphasizing neuroscience. That way you will be able to talk the language of biology, but have a much rigorous training than usual in math and physics--at least that's how it is here in the states, bio majors often just take dumbed down versions of math and physics.

Suppose it also depends greatly on whether you want a trade or are looking to do research for a living, which of course implies going on for a PhD...

denverdoc said:
Jarvik as in Jarvik heart I cannot recall. Others were ME PhD's.
Jarvik was the guy that invented the mechanical heart, remember?

Mk said:
Jarvik was the guy that invented the mechanical heart, remember?

I do but couldn't recall his training. He married Marilyn Van Savant iirc, supposedly the worlds most intelligent person. Those were heady times at Utah but we also had that embarrassing incident around Cold fusion:redface:

1. What is brain physics?

Brain physics is a branch of science that studies the physical properties and mechanisms of the brain, including its structure, function, and behavior.

2. What is the role of physicists in brain functions research?

Physicists play a crucial role in brain functions research by applying their expertise in areas such as biophysics, neuroimaging, and computational modeling to understand the physical processes and mechanisms underlying brain functions.

3. How do physicists contribute to our understanding of brain diseases and disorders?

Physicists use their knowledge and tools to study the physical changes in the brain associated with various diseases and disorders, such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and schizophrenia. They also help develop new technologies for diagnosis and treatment.

4. What are some current areas of research in brain physics?

Some current areas of research in brain physics include studying the biophysics of neurons and synapses, investigating the role of quantum mechanics in brain functions, and developing new imaging techniques to better understand brain activity.

5. How does brain physics intersect with other fields of science?

Brain physics intersects with other fields of science such as biology, chemistry, and computer science. It also has strong connections to fields like neuroscience, psychology, and medicine, as understanding the physical basis of brain functions is crucial for advancements in these areas.