Calculating initial velocity of a bouncing object

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the initial velocity of a ball released from a height y and bouncing through a distance x. The ball has an elasticity E and radius R, and the number of bounces is related to the initial velocity. The problem is solved using the range x, target height, E, and the time to reach the target can be calculated. The solution involves using limits of geometric series and the elastic/inelastic ratio to determine the number of bounces and the forward velocity needed to reach the target.
kir6y
I'm not sure how to find the initial velocity of a ball that is released from a height y and bounces through a distance x. The ball has an elasticity E and radius R but I don't know an equation that relates these and the number of bounces to the ball's initial velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematically speaking, the ball bounces infinitely many times. In real life it won't really do this, but seeing as how the math doesn't know that, I can't think of an easy way to relate the number of bounces to the ball's initial velocity. Maybe you could tell us more about the problem.

The problem is that a ball is released from y=10 m and must hit a target 40 m away which is 6 m high. The ball is released and bounces with its height dropping by elasticity squared (E^2) each time. The problem then states that it is possible to caluculate the number of bounces using the range x = 40m, the target height 6 m and E. Then using number of bounces and a calculation of the time to the first bounce, the time to reach the target can be found and subsequently the initial horizontal velocity can be found. I just don't know how to form the relevant equations using these values.

can you make a picture or something like that? i have an idea of how you could solve the problem but I'm not sure if i understand the specifical case.

pd: the solution i thought is with limits of geometrical series, maybe that helps you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what elasticity squared is, but what determines how high an object bounces isn't it's elasticity, but the elastic/inelastic ratio. If an object is 40% elastic, then it loses 60% of it's kinetic energy when it bounces. Plug that back into mgh to find height. How many bounces is then whatever you choose it to be - calculate the time for that number of balances and use that to find the forward velocity to get it to the target in that time.

1. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a bouncing object?

The initial velocity of a bouncing object can be calculated using the formula v0 = √(2gh), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and h is the height from which the object is dropped.

2. Can the initial velocity of a bouncing object be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity of a bouncing object can be negative if it is thrown downwards or if it is dropped from a height that is below the reference point.

3. How does the surface affect the initial velocity of a bouncing object?

The surface can affect the initial velocity of a bouncing object through the coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the elasticity of the surface. A higher coefficient of restitution means that the surface is more elastic and the object will bounce back with a higher velocity.

4. Is the initial velocity of a bouncing object constant?

No, the initial velocity of a bouncing object is not constant. It decreases with each bounce due to energy loss through friction and air resistance. It can also vary depending on the surface and height from which the object is dropped.

5. How can I use the initial velocity of a bouncing object to predict its trajectory?

The initial velocity of a bouncing object can be used to predict its trajectory using the equations of motion. By calculating the velocity and position of the object at different points in time, its trajectory can be determined. Factors such as air resistance and the surface can also affect the trajectory of the object.