E-field due to a large circular plane of uniform distribution

In summary: The field due to a circular disc of radius R at a point on the axis distant x units from the center is given by:The force on the point charge is then:In summary, the e field due to a large circular plane of uniform distribution is
iontail
E-field due to a large circular plane of uniform distribution!

Hi Imagine i have a circular disc of radius R with uniform charge density, and a small charge x meters away from its center. The idea is to calculate the e field for this charged disc on the small charge. I can solve this problem if i solve the problem by integrating with respect to r. But i was told this can also be done by using solid angles. Would some one please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, what do you mean by solid angles? If you know the potential, you can get to the E-field.

Integrating is really the way to do it, and whatever way works for you (apparently integration) is a good way.

iontail said:
Hi Imagine i have a circular disc of radius R with uniform charge density, and a small charge x meters away from its center. The idea is to calculate the e field for this charged disc on the small charge. I can solve this problem if i solve the problem by integrating with respect to r. But i was told this can also be done by using solid angles. Would some one please help me?

First of all, you mean the force on the charge (and not the field on the charge, which does not make sense). So you need to figure out the field at the location of the point charge and then multiply it by the magnitude of the charge to get the force.

Secondly, forget about the alternate method first and try to work out the field due to a circular disc of radius R at a point on the axis distant x units from the center. Can you do this?

(Do you have ideas for the solid angle method? If so, try it and post your solution here...)

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field due to a large circular plane of uniform distribution?

The formula for calculating the electric field due to a large circular plane of uniform distribution is: E = σ/2ε0, where E is the electric field, σ is the surface charge density, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

2. How is the direction of the electric field determined in this scenario?

In this scenario, the electric field is directed perpendicular to the surface of the circular plane, pointing away from the plane if the charge is positive and towards the plane if the charge is negative. This can be determined using the right-hand rule, where your thumb points in the direction of the electric field and your fingers curl in the direction of the circular plane's surface.

3. How does the distance from the circular plane affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field due to a large circular plane of uniform distribution decreases as the distance from the plane increases. This relationship follows an inverse-square law, meaning that the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the plane.

4. Is the electric field due to a large circular plane of uniform distribution affected by the size of the plane?

No, the electric field strength does not depend on the size of the circular plane. As long as the surface charge density remains constant, the electric field will have the same strength regardless of the size of the circular plane.

5. Can the electric field due to a large circular plane of uniform distribution be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative in this scenario if the charge on the plane is negative. This simply means that the direction of the electric field would be towards the plane instead of away from it.