What Is the Correct Coefficient of Friction Calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force and weight in pushing a block at constant velocity, and the calculation of the coefficient of friction for the surface. It is determined that a force of 2.8 N is required to push the block, and a weight of 5.7857 N is needed to push both the block and a weight placed on it at the same velocity.
anglum
A block weighing 8.1 N requires a force of
2.8 N to push it along at constant velocity.
What is the coeficient of friction for the
surface?

002 (part 2 of 2) 10 points
A weight W is now placed on the block and
4.8 N is needed to push them both at constant
velocity.
What is the weight W of the block? Answer
in units of N.

For part 1 i used the equation 2.1N = Cf * 8.1N
and solved for Cf or coefficient of friction

that was incorrect tho

Physics news on Phys.org
anglum said:
For part 1 i used the equation 2.1N = Cf * 8.1N
and solved for Cf or coefficient of friction
Shouldn't that be 2.8 N? (Assuming the force is applied horizontally.)

yeah i mistyped that it should be

2.8N = Friction * 8.1N

Friction = .34567 ?

is that correct? if i have that then i can solve the 2nd one

by taking
4.8= .345679 *(8.1N+W) and solve for W?

and in solving for W there i get 5.7857 N

Looks good to me. (You may want to round off your answer to a reasonable number of significant figures--especially if you're using an online system.)

1. What is block friction?

Block friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. It is caused by the interaction between the irregularities on the surfaces of the object and the surface it is in contact with.

2. What factors affect block friction?

The factors that affect block friction include the type of surfaces in contact, the force applied, and the roughness of the surfaces. Other factors such as temperature, air resistance, and lubrication can also affect block friction.

3. How is block friction different from kinetic friction?

Block friction and kinetic friction are two types of friction that occur when an object is in motion. Block friction occurs when an object is stationary, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. Additionally, block friction is typically greater than kinetic friction as it is more difficult to overcome the initial resistance of an object at rest.

4. Can block friction be reduced?

Yes, block friction can be reduced through various methods such as using lubricants, polishing surfaces, or reducing the force applied. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact.

5. How is block friction calculated?

The force of block friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force acting on the object. The coefficient of friction is a constant value that depends on the type of surfaces in contact, while the normal force is the force exerted by the surface on the object perpendicular to the surface.