Centripetal/Gravitational Force

• Thread starter bullardz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, two stars, A and B, are in circular orbits around their common center of mass at point P. Each star has the same period of revolution T. Using fundamental constants, the expressions for the following quantities are determined: a) the centripetal acceleration of star A is (4Raπ^2)/T^2, and b) the mass of star B is equal to the force exerted on it by A, which can be calculated by equating the centripetal force on A and the force exerted on it by B.
bullardz
Orbiting Bodies Question

2. Two stars, A and B are in circular orbits of radii ra and rb, respectively, about their common center of mass at point P. Each star has the same period of revolution T.

Determine expressions for the following three quantities in terms of Ra, Rb, T, and fundamental constants.

a. The centripetal acceleration of star A
b. The mass Mb of star B

[tex]F_g=\frac{GM_1M_2}{r^2}[/tex], [tex]a_c=\frac{4pi ^2r}{T^2}[/tex]

I solved for Part a and got [(4)(Ra)(pi)^2]/T^2. Part b has me stumped though. I think it has to do with the relationship between Fg and Fc and/or the fact that the periods of the two planets are equal. But when I try to solve for the mass, I keep cancelling out the mass variable. If someone could just steer me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Equate the centripetal force on A to the force exerted on it by B.

Right, that makes sense... I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

What is Centripetal Force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, always pointing towards the center of the circle. It keeps the object moving in a curved path rather than moving in a straight line.

What is Gravitational Force?

Gravitational force is a force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and the moon in orbit around the Earth.

How are Centripetal and Gravitational Forces related?

Centripetal force is a type of force that can be caused by the gravitational force. For example, the moon is held in orbit around the Earth by the gravitational force, which acts as the centripetal force keeping the moon in its circular path.

What is the formula for calculating Centripetal Force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = m*v^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some real-life examples of Centripetal/Gravitational Force?

Some real-life examples of centripetal force include the force exerted on a car while making a turn, the force that keeps a roller coaster on its track, and the force that keeps satellites in orbit around the Earth. Some examples of gravitational force include the force between the Earth and an object on its surface, the force between the sun and the planets in our solar system, and the force between two people standing next to each other.