Numerical solution to coupled diff. eq.

In summary, the conversation discusses three equations involving functions E_p(z,t) and N_r(z), along with known constants. The possibility of finding an exact solution is mentioned, and it is noted that if E_p(z,t) and N_r(z) are known, an exact solution is not difficult to find. If looking for real solutions, the equations can be integrated by hand or with the help of Mathematica. If E_c(z,t) is a complex function, the equations can still be integrated by splitting them into real and imaginary parts. It is also mentioned that the equations predict wave phenomena and may be safely solved numerically if they are linear.
mrandersdk
I have three equations

[tex] (\frac{\partial}{\partial t} + c \frac{\partial}{\partial z}) E_p(z,t) = i N_r(z) \sigma_{ba}(z,t)[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{i E_c^*(z,t)}(\frac{\partial}{\partial t} + \Gamma_{bc}) \sigma_{bc}(z,t) = \sigma_{ba}(z,t)[/tex]

[tex] -\frac{E_p(z,t)}{E_c(z,t)} + \frac{1}{i E_c(z,t)}(\frac{\partial}{\partial t} + \Gamma_{ba}) \sigma_{ba}(z,t) = \sigma_{bc}(z,t)[/tex]

where the functions [tex]E_p(z,t)[/tex] and [tex]N_r(z)[/tex] is know, and all other things that do not depend on time or position are known constants.

How can I solve this numericaly with some give initial conditions. I have MATLAB 7.0 or mathematica to my disposal but can't make anything work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why Numerical?

Did you try finding an exact solution? And are these complex functions or what? Is * Hermitian transpose?

yes the function can be complex, but are of real variable, so not need for complex function theory.

the 'i' in the first equation is the complex i.

Do you think it is possible to find and exact solution, that would of cause be great.

It is not really too hard to find an exact solution if [tex]E_p(z,t)[/tex] and [tex]N_r(z)[/tex] are known.

From the first equation you have [tex] \sigma_{ba}(z,t) [/tex] in terms of the known funtions [tex]E_p(z,t)[/tex] and [tex]N_r(z)[/tex].

From the 3nd equation you have [tex] \sigma_{bc}(z,t) [/tex] in terms of the known funtions [tex]E_p(z,t),\,N_r(z)[/tex] and the unknown function [tex] E_c(z,t) [/tex].

Plugging these informations into the 2nd equation you have a PDE which involves [tex] E_c(z,t) \, and \, E^*_c(z,t) [/tex], say it (A).

• If you are looking for real solutions, i.e. [tex] E_c(z,t) =E^*_c(z,t) [/tex] then equation (A) is just an ODE with respect to [tex]E_c(z,t) [/tex] since it involves only the derivative [tex]\partial_t E_c(z,t) [/tex]. It looks like

[tex] \partial_t E_c(z,t) \sim \alpha_1\,E_c(z,t) +\alpha_2\,E^3_c(z,t) [/tex]​

where [tex] \alpha_i [/tex] are known funtions of [tex] (z,t) [/tex]. It can be full integrated either by hand or with the help of Mathematica.
  • If [tex]E_c(z,t) [/tex] is a complex funtion you have to split every term in (A) at it's Real and Imaginary part, in order to end up with two messy[/] DE. Fortunately, in this case too you can integrate the resulting system, by imposing the integrabity conditions on [tex] Re[E_c(z,t)]\, and\, Im[E_c(z,t)] [/tex]

I hope that was useful for you! :smile:

Wave phenomena are predicted. Thankfully, at this point, they look to be linear (if gamma & c are constant).

If so, then you may be reasonably safe in using simple numeric strategies.

1. What is a coupled differential equation?

A coupled differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rates of change of two or more variables. These variables are interdependent and cannot be solved separately.

2. What is a numerical solution to coupled differential equations?

A numerical solution is a method of solving a coupled differential equation using numerical techniques and algorithms, rather than analytical methods. It involves breaking down the equations into small, discrete steps and approximating the solution at each step.

3. What are some common techniques used for numerical solutions to coupled differential equations?

Some common techniques include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. These methods differ in their accuracy and complexity, and the choice of technique depends on the specific problem at hand.

4. What are the advantages of using a numerical solution to coupled differential equations?

Numerical solutions allow for the solving of complex systems of equations that may not have analytical solutions. They also allow for the incorporation of real-world data and experimental results, making them more applicable in practical situations.

5. What are some challenges in finding a numerical solution to coupled differential equations?

Some challenges include choosing the appropriate numerical method for the problem, ensuring accuracy and stability of the solution, and dealing with stiff systems where the equations have widely varying time scales. It also requires a good understanding of the underlying physics and assumptions of the problem.