Game Theory - Heuristic for single-player puzzle

Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle game where the goal is to make the top and bottom rows of a 4x3 board symmetric. The game involves moving an empty slot, X, in a similar way to the 8-puzzle game. The problem is to find the best move to make when given two options, and the current method is to calculate the number of non-symmetric pairs in each state and make the move that gives the lowest number. However, the speaker is looking for a more efficient and intelligent solution, such as using a different heuristic function, implementing a search algorithm, or using a pruning technique.
Shaitan00
Board (4x3)
A B C D
E F G H
I J K L

You have 11 chips [1,1,1,1], [2,2,2,2], [3,3], [4] (for example) placed randomly on the 4x3 board in slots A,...,L and one empty slot (that moves) that we'll call X, the movements are done similarly to the 8-puzzle game where X (empty) can move either up/down/left/right.

The Goal is to ensure that the top row and bottom row are symmetric (middle row is irrelevant) - so the following would be valid solutions:
1 1 2 2
3 3 4 X
1 1 2 2
or
1 1 2 3
X 2 4 2
1 1 2 3
As you can see in both cases the TOP and BOTTOM rows are symmetric (identical)...

So - just to help understand the game a little - assume you have the following flow from initial state to goal state:
STATE(0)
3 3 1 1
4 2 1 2
3 3 1 X
--> Move LEFT

STATE(1)
3 3 1 1
4 2 1 2
3 3 X 1
--> Move UP

STATE(2)
3 3 1 1
4 2 X 2
3 3 1 1
! GOAL !

Therefore - my problem is to find out what is the BEST MOVE (up, down, left, right) to make.
Assume you are at STATE(0) in the example above, where do you move X to get the best result thus leading you closer to a GOAL? X could be moved UP or LEFT (two options) so why pick one over the other? The solution is to evaluate the two possible outcomes and pick the better one ... this is the part where I need help, the EVALUATION algorithm (heuristic) needed to choose the next best move.

My current method works rather well but not well enough - I call it "Number of non-Symmetric Pairs" and it works as follows:
- For each state calculate the number of non-symmetric pairs and make the move that gives you the lowest number
- If you have equal lowest-numbers then choose one at random

Let me illustrate - for starters this would be the value for the states listed in the example above:
STATE(0) = 1 (as the 4th pair isn't symmetrical)
STATE(1) = 1 (as the 3rd pair isn't symmetrical)
STATE(2) = 0 (as all pairs are symmetrical)

Where this works - assume we are at STATE(1), we have 3 choices: LEFT, UP, RIGHT - which would each yield the following values:
STATE(1)->LEFT = 2
STATE(1)->UP = 0
STATE(1)->RIGHT = 1
Therefore the lowest number is 0 and we should move UP because that will generates less non-symmetrical pairs (and lucky for us in this case it is also the goal).

Where this doesn't work so well - assume we are at STATE(0), we have 2 choices: LEFT, UP - which would each yield the following values:
STATE(0)->UP = 1
STATE(0)->LEFT = 1
As you can see the values are identical, so in this case I cannot determine which move is best so I must try both routes, which in turns costs me a lot of time I was hoping I wouldn't have to waste.

With that said - I am looking to find a more "informed" (efficient, intelligent) function/algorithm to help me solve my problem quicker and in less moves which therefore yields a more favorable results.

Along the same lines I am trying to see if there is another or better way to evaluate how close one move is to a goal when compared to another...

Any ideas, hints, help you might come up with would be much appreciated.
Note that the cells could have words, colors, numbers - this was just an example to help illustrate how it works.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

Scientist

Dear Scientist,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. This is a very interesting and challenging puzzle that requires a combination of logical thinking and algorithmic approach.

Firstly, I would like to suggest an alternative heuristic function that could potentially improve the efficiency of your algorithm. Instead of counting the number of non-symmetric pairs, you could calculate the number of non-symmetric pairs in each row and column separately. This would give you more information about the current state and help you make a more informed decision on which move to make. For example, in STATE(0), the number of non-symmetric pairs in the first row is 1 and in the second row is 2. This means that if you move X to the left, the number of non-symmetric pairs in the first row will increase to 2, but if you move X up, the number of non-symmetric pairs in the second row will decrease to 1. This approach takes into account the position of X and how it affects each row and column individually.

Another idea is to use a search algorithm, such as A* or greedy best-first search, to find the shortest path to the goal state. These algorithms use a heuristic function to evaluate the cost of each possible move and choose the most promising one. In this case, the heuristic function could be the number of non-symmetric pairs in the entire board. This approach takes into account the overall state of the board and not just individual rows and columns.

Additionally, you could also consider implementing a pruning technique, such as alpha-beta pruning, to eliminate unnecessary branches in the search tree and improve the efficiency of your algorithm.

I hope these suggestions help you in finding a more efficient and intelligent solution to your problem. Good luck with your research!

1. What is game theory?

Game theory is a branch of mathematics that studies decision-making in situations where multiple individuals or groups are involved. It is commonly used in economics, political science, and psychology to analyze strategic interactions and decision-making processes.

2. How is game theory applied to single-player puzzles?

Game theory can be applied to single-player puzzles by using heuristics, or rules of thumb, to guide decision-making. These heuristics can help players make strategic decisions based on the potential outcomes of different choices, leading to a more efficient and effective solution to the puzzle.

3. What is the purpose of using game theory in single-player puzzles?

The purpose of using game theory in single-player puzzles is to find the most optimal solution to the puzzle. By applying strategic decision-making and using heuristics, players can solve puzzles more efficiently and potentially find new and creative ways to solve them.

4. Can game theory be used in all types of single-player puzzles?

Yes, game theory can be applied to a wide range of single-player puzzles, including logic puzzles, Sudoku, and Rubik's cube. However, the complexity and applicability of game theory may vary depending on the specific puzzle.

5. Are there any limitations to using game theory in single-player puzzles?

While game theory can be a useful tool in solving single-player puzzles, it is not a foolproof method and may not always lead to the optimal solution. It also relies on the accuracy and relevance of the heuristics used, which may vary depending on the puzzle and individual player’s understanding and application of them.