Generating Artificial Gravity: Is E=mc2 the Key?

In summary, E=mc2 explains the interchangeability of mass and energy. To achieve interstellar space flight, artificial gravity must be generated. This can be done by focusing a great amount of energy on a single point. However, this would essentially create matter, which may not be feasible. Alternatively, using rotation to create a centrifuge-like simulation of gravity may be a simpler solution. Ultimately, the feasibility of these ideas would require further discussion and input from experts in the field.
keithbyron
E=mc2 says that mass and energy are interchangeable.

to make interstellar space flight possible artificial gravity must be generated. assuming that energy generation is not a factor, according to the equation given sufficient energy a gravity field could be generated.

most everything that I've read regarding artificial gravity says that a superdense core of some sort is needed. since mass and energy are essentially the same thing, again assuming energy generation is not a factor, wouldn't it be possible to focus energy on a single point sufficient enough to generate 1g aboard the vessel?

there are many variables that i did not discuss and everything i said is theoretical, i just want some feedback on the idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rotation to create a simulation of gravity using a centrifuge?

not really. same concept, energy into gravity, but no moving parts in my question. just a supremely massive amount of energy concentrated in a single place to generate gravity.

I think what he meant was: There is no need for "artificial gravity", it is much easier to simply use a centrifuge.

obione said:
If you could generate enough energy(mass) very close to a spaceship and maintain that energy in the intended direction of travel you will indeed create a force of attraction between the energy source and the spaceship, and u have interstelar travel.

I'm not sure I understand you properly, do you mean like a donkey chasing a carrot?

http://www.christian-education.org/images/donkey.gif

Remember Newton's 3rd law. There will be an equal and opposite force on the source of the mass, tending to push it towards your spaceship. If you wish to maintain the distance between yourself and the mass you will need to provide some sort of repulsion force of equal magnitude, which in turn means you move nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to defer to someone with a better understanding of GR to refute that, but since it would essentially be a free energy device I'm quite certain it wouldn't work that simply.

Yeah, I think I misunderstood what you were saying, but I'll still defer to someone with a better knowledge of GR to say whether or not this would work.

obione,
Yes, that propulsion system has occurred to me as well, every time I see a scifi show where they have artificial gravity and are only using it to keep their feet stuck to the floor! It would be a novel form of propulsion.

Kazza,
Yes, in hteory enough energy generated in a concentrated area would create a gravitational field. However, I think that much energy condensed into a very small space would essentially be...matter! One image used to teach GR holds that matter and energy are simply the two forms of mass. Enrgy is the "spread out" form, and matter is the "packed tight" form. It's not a perfect image, but accurate enough for the current conversation. If you carm enough energy into a small space to generate a 1g grav field, you will end up creating matter, like they do in particle accelerators.

1. How does E=mc2 relate to generating artificial gravity?

E=mc2 is an equation derived from Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c2). This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another. In the context of generating artificial gravity, it means that energy can be converted into a gravitational force, which is necessary to create artificial gravity.

2. Can E=mc2 be used to generate artificial gravity on Earth?

Yes, E=mc2 can be used to generate artificial gravity on Earth. However, it would require a massive amount of energy to be converted into a gravitational force. Currently, we do not have the technology to harness and control such a large amount of energy, so generating artificial gravity using this equation is not feasible at this time.

3. What other methods are being explored for generating artificial gravity?

There are several methods being explored for generating artificial gravity, including centrifugal force, rotating habitats, and electromagnetic fields. These methods all involve creating a force that simulates the effects of gravity on objects within the artificial environment.

4. How does centrifugal force create artificial gravity?

Centrifugal force is the outward force that is exerted on objects when they are in a rotating frame of reference. This force can be used to simulate the effects of gravity by causing objects to feel as if they are being pulled towards the outer edge of the rotating frame. This method is commonly used in space habitats and spacecraft to create artificial gravity.

5. What are the potential benefits of generating artificial gravity?

Generating artificial gravity could have several benefits, including mitigating the negative effects of long-term space travel on astronauts' bodies, providing a more comfortable environment for humans to live and work in space, and enabling the production of food and other materials that require gravity. It could also help us better understand the effects of gravity on human health and potentially lead to new medical treatments.