Uniform circular motion and coordinate system

In summary: I appreciate it.In summary, the particle P is in uniform circular motion centered on the origin of an xy coordinate system. The vertical component of the position vector is greatest in magnitude at 90 degrees and 270 degrees, while the vertical component of the velocity vector is greatest at zero and 180 degrees. The vertical component of the acceleration vector is greatest at 90 degrees and 270 degrees. The magnitude of the y component of each vector is greatest when the whole vector lies along the y-axis.
ace123
2. In the figure below the particle P is in uniform circular motion. The motion is centered on the origin of an xy coordinate system.
(a) At what values of [tex]\vartheta[/tex] is the vertical component r[tex]_{y}[/tex] of the position vector greatest in magnitude?
(b) At what values of [tex]\vartheta[/tex] is the vertical component v[tex]_{y}[/tex] of the particle’s velocity greatest in magnitude?
(c) At what values of [tex]\vartheta[/tex] is the vertical component a[tex]_{y}[/tex] of the particle’s acceleration greatest in magnitude?

a. How can radius have a vertical component? It's just a distance or would it be a displacement?

b. Isn't velocity always tangential to the circle so how would there be a y component? Or does he just mean when it points in the y direction like at zero and 180 degrees?

c. Would it be 90 degrees and 270 because it only has a vertical component?

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The figure is in my gravitational force post. I don't know how to move it. It's question 2.

You have the basic idea correct. The magnitude of the y component of each vector is greatest when the whole vector lies along the y-axis. So, your answers to b) and c) are correct.

For part a) you are working with a position vector, not just a distance. The radial position vector points outward from the origin toward the object. Can you answer part a) now?

Yea I can answer it now. I just didn't know it was a vector thought it was just a scalar. Shouldn't it just be at 90 degrees and 270 again?

ace123 said:
Yea I can answer it now. I just didn't know it was a vector thought it was just a scalar. Shouldn't it just be at 90 degrees and 270 again?

You got it.:smile:

Thanks for the help

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object's velocity, or direction of motion, is constantly changing as it moves along the circular path.

2. What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical tool used to describe the location of an object in space. It consists of a set of axes, usually labeled as x, y, and z, that intersect at a point called the origin. The position of an object can be described using numerical values along each axis.

3. How is uniform circular motion related to a coordinate system?

In uniform circular motion, the object is constantly changing its direction of motion, so its velocity is constantly changing. This can be described using a coordinate system, where the x-axis represents the horizontal component of the object's velocity and the y-axis represents the vertical component.

4. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object's speed is constant and its velocity is constantly changing. In non-uniform circular motion, the object's speed is changing, meaning its velocity is both changing in direction and magnitude.

5. How is centripetal force related to uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the object's velocity is constantly changing, so there must be a force acting on it to cause this change. This force is the centripetal force, which is always directed towards the center of the circular path.