Can a High Voltage Magnetic Field Affect My Low Voltage Electronic System?

In summary, Thebe is seeking assistance with his electronic system, which involves running wires next to a high voltage cable. He is concerned about the effects of the electro-magnetic field and asks for help understanding the potential dangers. Some users express concern for safety and suggest consulting the utility company for guidance. The thread is then locked for safety reasons.
thebe
Good day every one,
My name is Thebe and I like to play around with low voltage electronic devices, currently I have an electronic system that I am trying to build on 24 volts but the problem is that some of the wires in my circuit must run next to a very high voltage cable so I am concern about the electro-magnetic field from the high voltage cable that it might affect my system.
I would therefore kindly like to propose for assistance from anyone with the knowledge about electro-magnetic field.

Below is a brief explanation of my circuit:

I first connect a negative terminal of a 24v battery with a wire to the negative connector of the my device and then connect the + terminal of the battery with a 100m long insulated wire and run it just next(5mm) to the 3kv overhead cable for a 50m distance and then allow the cable make a u-turn back and this time it is not running next to the 3kv cable but it is now running under the ground until it reaches the + connector of my electronic system.

So what I am trying to find out is that is it possible for the magnetic field of the overhead cable to burn my wire or short circuit my system?

Please take a look at the drawing from the link below before you answer me so that you can understand my question better.

http://www.thebesonic.com/Magnetic%20fied.htm"

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
thebe said:
Good day every one,
My name is Thebe and I like to play around with low voltage electronic devices, currently I have an electronic system that I am trying to build on 24 volts but the problem is that some of the wires in my circuit must run next to a very high voltage cable so I am concern about the electro-magnetic field from the high voltage cable that it might affect my system.
I would therefore kindly like to propose for assistance from anyone with the knowledge about electro-magnetic field.

Below is a brief explanation of my circuit:

I first connect a negative terminal of a 24v battery with a wire to the negative connector of the my device and then connect the + terminal of the battery with a 100m long insulated wire and run it just next(5mm) to the 3kv overhead cable for a 50m distance and then allow the cable make a u-turn back and this time it is not running next to the 3kv cable but it is now running under the ground until it reaches the + connector of my electronic system.

So what I am trying to find out is that is it possible for the magnetic field of the overhead cable to burn my wire or short circuit my system?

Please take a look at the drawing from the link below before you answer me so that you can understand my question better.

http://www.thebesonic.com/Magnetic%20fied.htm"

Your help will be highly appreciated.

That looks quite dangerous, because of the electric shock hazard involved. And it may be illegal, since you may be violating the Utility's right of way for its equipment (not sure on that one). The magnetic field coupling (which will occur, BTW) should be the least of your worries.

Why in the world are you trying to do this? To steal power from the Utility perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, I am not a thief- I don't steal, secondly, I have no intention of electrifying anyone because during the installation the power will be off with the utility's knowledge.

Talking about electric shocks- why should there be electric shocks when my conductor is not in contact with the 3kv cable because it is insulated? or do you mean that 3kv cable's magnetic field will cause this shocks you talking about?

5mm spacing from a 3kV over head conductor sounds extremely dangerous to me...

Are you going to leave your wire there when they turn the powerline back on?

If so, I'd stand well away from your apparatus... it won't be the magnetic field that fries everything, it'll be the arc from the powerline.

how about I increase the thickness of the insulator?

thebe said:
how about I increase the thickness of the insulator?

So the utility knows what you are doing? Then ask them about safety considerations. You have not given us enough knowledge to be able to help, and we are not going to offer opinions that could get people hurt.

Thread locked.

What is a high voltage magnetic field?

A high voltage magnetic field is a type of electromagnetic field that is created when there is a large difference in electrical potential between two points, typically at least 1000 volts. This results in a strong magnetic field that can have a variety of applications in science and technology.

How is a high voltage magnetic field created?

A high voltage magnetic field is created by passing an electrical current through a conductor, such as a wire or coil, which then generates a magnetic field around it. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current and voltage passing through the conductor.

What are the dangers of working with high voltage magnetic fields?

High voltage magnetic fields can be extremely dangerous, as they can cause electric shock, burns, and other serious injuries. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective equipment when working with high voltage magnetic fields.

What are some common uses of high voltage magnetic fields?

High voltage magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in various industries. Some common uses include particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and plasma generators. They can also be used in research and experimentation, such as in studying the properties of materials in extreme conditions.

How do high voltage magnetic fields affect living organisms?

There is still ongoing research on the potential effects of high voltage magnetic fields on living organisms. Some studies have shown that exposure to high voltage magnetic fields can cause changes in cell behavior and affect biological processes. However, the level of risk and any potential health effects are still not fully understood and more research is needed in this area.