Deflection of bullet by Earth's magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves a 0.0034kg bullet with a speed of 160 m/s and a net charge of 13.5E-9 C moving perpendicular to Earth's magnetic field of 5E-5 T. To find the distance the bullet is deflected after traveling 1000m, we use the equation radius = mv/qB and theta = arc length/radius, but this approach does not yield the correct answer. Alternatively, the Lorentz magnetic force law and acceleration could be used to calculate the deflection.
jkulier

Homework Statement

A 0.0034kg bullet moves with a speed of 160 m/s perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field of 5E-5 T. If the bullet has a net charge of 13.5E-9 C, by what distance is it deflected due to the magnetic field after it has traveled 1000m?

Homework Equations

radius = mv/qB
theta = arc length/radius

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the radius of the circle via: r = (mv)/qB = 8.1E11

Next, I found theta using the arc length of the circle traveled by the bullet divided by the radius of that circle: theta = arc/radius = 1000/8.1E11

Finally, to find the distance it's deflected, I used the triangle approach: tan(theta) = x/1000

However, my answer is incorrect. Any ideas would be great,
thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just wondering why you wouldn't apply the Lorentz magnetic force law to identify the acceleration the bullet would be subjected to and than apply that to figure deflection?

I would first check to make sure all of the units are consistent in the calculations. The units for the magnetic field are in Tesla (T), while the units for charge are in Coulombs (C). It may be necessary to convert the magnetic field to a different unit that is more appropriate for this calculation, such as Gauss (G) or Amperes per meter (A/m).

I would also double check the equations used and make sure they are being applied correctly. In this case, it may be helpful to consider the bullet's motion as a combination of linear and circular motion, and use the appropriate equations for each.

Additionally, I would consider any external factors that may affect the bullet's deflection, such as air resistance or the Earth's rotation. These factors may need to be taken into account in the calculation.

If the calculations still do not match the expected answer, I would review the problem and make sure all given information and assumptions are correct. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or refer to a trusted source for guidance.

What is the "Deflection of bullet by Earth's magnetic field"?

The "Deflection of bullet by Earth's magnetic field" is a phenomenon in which a bullet's trajectory is altered due to the Earth's magnetic field. It is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrically charged particles in the bullet.

How does the Earth's magnetic field affect a bullet's trajectory?

The Earth's magnetic field exerts a force on the electrically charged particles in the bullet, causing it to deflect from its original path. This is due to the Lorentz force, which is the force experienced by a charged particle moving in a magnetic field.

Is the deflection of a bullet by the Earth's magnetic field significant?

The amount of deflection depends on several factors such as the strength and direction of the Earth's magnetic field, the velocity and charge of the bullet, and its distance from the Earth's surface. In most cases, the deflection is minimal and does not significantly affect the bullet's trajectory.

Can the deflection of a bullet by the Earth's magnetic field be predicted?

Yes, the deflection can be predicted using mathematical equations and models that take into account the various factors involved. However, due to the complexity of the interactions, it can be difficult to accurately predict the exact amount of deflection in real-life scenarios.

Are there any practical applications of understanding the deflection of bullets by the Earth's magnetic field?

Yes, understanding this phenomenon can be useful in fields such as ballistics and navigation. It can also be used to design more accurate weapons and improve the accuracy of long-range shots. Additionally, it can aid in understanding the effects of the Earth's magnetic field on other electrically charged objects and particles.