A ball being dropped and bouncing back up?

• Thread starter needlottahelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the problem involves a 0.50 kg ball falling from a height of 30m and rebounding to a height of 20m. The contact between the ball and ground lasts 2.0 ms. To find the average force exerted on the ball, you need to calculate the speed at which the ball hits the ground and the speed at which it bounces back up. Using the kinematic equations, you can find the speed of the ball at each point and then calculate the acceleration by finding the change in velocity over time. Finally, use the formula F=ma to find the average force exerted on the ball, which should be approximately 1.1 x 10^4 upward.
needlottahelp

Homework Statement

After falling from rest at a height of 30m, a 0.50 kg ball rebounds upward, reaching a height of 20m. If the contact between ball and ground lasted 2.0 ms, what a average force was exerted on the ball?

Homework Equations

The kinematic equations?
F=ma
w=mg?
I don't really know

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry I don't even know where to begin. I don't really understand this section in the book so i don't even know what to do. The answer is supposed to come out to 1.1 x 10^4 upward.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to work out the speed the balls hits the floor and then the speed it starts backup at. Acceleration is just change in speed / time.

Hint - the speed it starts back up is the same as the speed a ball dropped from the second height would reach the floor.

Ok so the speed of the ball when it hits the ground first time would need the kinematic equation Vf^2= Vi^2 + 2ad right?

Vf^2= (0)^2 + 2(9.8)(30)
Vf^2 = 588
Vf~24.3 m/s ?

Vf^2= 2(9.8)(20)
Vf^2 = 392
Vf ~ 19.8 m/s ?

I think that's correct. correct me if I'm wrong please. How do I find the acceleration?

Acceleration = change in velocity / time
Whats the total change in velocity (watch the signs!)

Ohhh...

So the acceleration is the change in velocity which would be 19.8 - 24.3/change in time.
Then put it in the F=ma and solve for F correct? or is there more?

Correct method - but be careful of the signs.

OK thank you very much. I was stuck on this problem for a while.

1. How does a ball bounce back up after being dropped?

When a ball is dropped, it is pulled downward by Earth's gravity. As it collides with a surface, the force of the impact causes the ball to deform, storing potential energy in its material. This potential energy is then released, causing the ball to bounce back up.

2. Why do different balls bounce to different heights?

The height a ball bounces to is determined by factors such as the material it is made of, its shape, and the surface it bounces on. Different materials and shapes have varying levels of elasticity, which affects how much potential energy can be stored and released during a bounce. Additionally, the surface the ball bounces on can absorb some of the energy, resulting in a lower bounce height.

3. Can a ball bounce higher than its original drop height?

As long as the ball is not affected by external forces such as air resistance, it is possible for it to bounce higher than its original drop height. This is because the potential energy stored in the ball's material during the impact can exceed the energy lost due to deformation and friction.

4. Why does a ball bounce less and less with each bounce?

When a ball bounces, some of its energy is lost due to deformation of the material and friction with the surface. This means that with each bounce, the ball has less energy available to reach the same height as the previous bounce. Eventually, the ball will stop bouncing as all of its energy is converted into other forms, such as heat.

5. Can the angle of the surface affect the bounce of a ball?

Yes, the angle of the surface can have an impact on the bounce of a ball. A flat surface will allow the ball to bounce straight up, while a sloped surface will cause the ball to bounce at an angle. This is because the angle of the surface affects the direction and magnitude of the force of the impact, altering the ball's potential energy and resulting in a different bounce trajectory.