Electric Charge of Water droplet falling

In summary, a charged water droplet of radius 0.02 mm with a density of 103 kg m-3 remains stationary in air under an electric field of 100 N/C downward. Using the formula q=ma/E, the charge on the water droplet is calculated to be 8.22 x 10^-3 Coulombs. By comparing this to its neutral state, the water droplet must have gained or lost 5.13 x 10^16 electrons.
hemetite

Homework Statement

A charged water droplet of radius 0.02 mm remains stationary in air. If the electric field of the Earth is 100 N/C downward,what is the charge on the water droplet? By comparison with its neutral state, how many electrons must the water droplet have gained or lost? [ Density of water is 103 kg m-3 ]

Homework Equations

E=F/q , F=ma , p=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first answer ...which i have used

q = ma/E which mass of water droplets is derive from the density formula of a sphere and the density formula...

I don't quite understand by the second part?
"By comparison with its neutral state, how many electrons must the water droplet have gained or lost?"

what it is meant by neutral state?

Physics news on Phys.org
hemetite said:
I don't quite understand by the second part?
"By comparison with its neutral state, how many electrons must the water droplet have gained or lost?"

what it is meant by neutral state?
Uncharged.
Work out how many Coulombs of charge are on the drop.
Then from knowing the charge on the electron, how many electrons this represents.

thanks..here is my attempt...

from answer of first part q=8.22 x 10^-3..

there at drop the number of electrons lost = (8.22 x 10 ^ -3) / (1.6021765 x 10 ^ -19)

= 5.13 x 10 ^ 16

i have strong feeling that this is the answer...since when it is falling...the charge of the drop is strong enough to dispel the calculated amount of electrons...

What is the electric charge of a water droplet falling?

The electric charge of a water droplet falling is typically neutral, meaning it has an equal number of positive and negative charges. This is because the droplet is made up of neutral water molecules.

Can the electric charge of a water droplet be changed?

Yes, the electric charge of a water droplet can be changed through various methods such as friction, contact with charged surfaces, or exposure to electric fields. These can result in the transfer of electrons, giving the droplet a net positive or negative charge.

How does the electric charge of a water droplet affect its movement?

The electric charge of a water droplet can affect its movement through the presence of electric fields. If the droplet has a net positive or negative charge, it will be attracted or repelled by other charged objects in its surroundings, causing it to move in a particular direction.

Can the electric charge of a water droplet influence its evaporation?

Yes, the electric charge of a water droplet can influence its evaporation. This is because charged particles have stronger interactions with each other, causing them to stick together and form larger droplets that take longer to evaporate compared to neutral particles.

Why is the study of electric charge of water droplets important?

The study of electric charge of water droplets is important in understanding various natural phenomena, such as cloud formation and precipitation, as well as in technological applications such as electrostatic spraying and inkjet printing. It also helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in the atmosphere and their impact on weather and climate.