Genes to blame for infidelity?

• Thread starter pelastration
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genes
In summary: Anyway, in summary, Professor Tim Spector has claimed that there may be a genetic component to infidelity, with evidence that the tendency to be unfaithful can be inherited. His research focused on women, finding that if one twin had a history of infidelity, there was a 55% chance her sister would also stray. However, Professor Spector stresses that genes alone do not determine infidelity and social factors also play a role.
pelastration
Genes may to blame for infidelity

(quote)
Some people may be genetically programmed to be unfaithful to their partner, a scientist has claimed.

Professor Tim Spector, of the Twin Research Unit at St Thomas's Hospital, London, says he has evidence of a genetic component to infidelity.

Focusing on women, he found that if one of a pair of twins had a history of infidelity, the chances her sister would also stray were about 55%.

In general it is estimated that just 23% of women are not faithful.

In addition, Professor Spector found the tendency for both twins to be either faithful, or unfaithful was strongest in identical pairs - who have identical genes.

He stressed that genes alone did not determine whether somebody was likely to be unfaithful - much was down to social factors.
... (en quote)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3783031.stm

Biology news on Phys.org
pelastration said:
In general it is estimated that just 23% of women are not faithful.
JÚST 23%? :uhh:

..goes to look up study..

:confused: can't find it

Monique said:
:confused: can't find it
A hidden majority? :biggrin:

23% of Americans?

Wouldn't be surprised...

pelastration said:
Focusing on women, he found that if one of a pair of twins had a history of infidelity, the chances her sister would also stray were about 55%.

55%...hmm...so little more than a coin toss? Doesn't sound like much of a link to me.

I assume they mean infidelity in marriage? I'm sure many just don't bother getting married if they don't want to stick with just one man. I also think the rate of infidelity is higher than reported...only those who get caught are reported :devil:

:devil: I don't know what kind of a news report that is, since the data is still not published

I wonder if it's just preliminary data presented at a conference? I couldn't find any published work on it either.

1. What evidence supports the idea that genes are responsible for infidelity?

Studies have shown that variations in certain genes, such as the dopamine receptor gene DRD4, may influence a person's tendency towards infidelity. Additionally, research on twins has found a moderate genetic component in the likelihood of engaging in infidelity.

2. Are there specific genes that have been linked to infidelity?

While there is no single "infidelity gene," research has identified a few specific genes that may play a role in infidelity tendencies. These include genes related to dopamine levels, oxytocin receptors, and vasopressin receptors.

3. Can environmental factors also contribute to infidelity?

Yes, it is important to note that genetics is not the sole determining factor in infidelity. Environmental factors, such as relationship satisfaction, upbringing, and social influences, also play a significant role in shaping a person's behavior and choices.

4. Is infidelity a learned behavior?

While certain genetic predispositions may increase the likelihood of infidelity, it is not solely a learned behavior. Research suggests that both genetics and environmental factors work in tandem to influence a person's likelihood of engaging in infidelity.

5. Are there any ethical concerns regarding the research on genes and infidelity?

Some may argue that reducing infidelity to simply being "in someone's genes" may overlook the complex psychological and emotional factors that contribute to infidelity. Additionally, there are concerns about the potential for genetic testing to be used to justify or excuse infidelity in relationships.