B+ in upper division physics class

In summary: It is easier to get into graduate school in America than it is in other countries, but it doesn't mean you have to get an A all the time. In fact, if you get a B average or better, you're usually considered to be doing well.
Slepton
Hello, I am a senior now. I have a B+ in one of my upper division physics classes. How can I still get into a good graduate program ? Its freaking me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope no way

here
http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/work.html

Last edited by a moderator:
lol :smile:

Nobody can tell you anything meaningful just based on the fact that you got a B+ in a single class. Grad schools look at all your grades, your GRE scores, what university you're at, your research experience, etc. etc. etc. So stop freaking out.

(Tip: talk to professors who are doing your preferred kind of research at the grad schools you want to apply to, and see if you can convince them that they want you to come there.)

You're worried about a single B+? Seriously?

You don't need to have a perfect average to get into a good graduate program. To get into the popular ones you need to be ultra-competative, but if I understand correctly and your lowest mark is a B+, you should be fine. You can bolster your competativeness with some research and/or teaching experience.

Yah that's silly to think a B+ is going to ruin you. This isn't like high school where the best college programs are bombarded with a thousand applicants all with 4.0's and some SAT score. When you apply to graduate school, you have a lot more "tools" at your disposal, GPA, GRE recommendations, research experience, publishing papers, giving talks... etc etc.

Slepton said:
Hello, I am a senior now. I have a B+ in one of my upper division physics classes. How can I still get into a good graduate program ? Its freaking me out.

Quit worrying so much about your GPA & you'll increase your chances. Don't be so silly.

One B+ isn't going to ruin your grad school chances. That said, we know nothing about the rest of your application (GREs GPA, research, etc.) so we can't really comment on what your chances are like to begin with.

B+ ?
Isn't that like a 80% score? (not used to letter grading)
Seems unreal to me to have to get an A all the time...?
I see so many people that post they ''only'' get B+ etc, but I have an average grade of 80% and I am amongst one of the highest. Is getting a B average considered ''bad'' in America ? It amazes me.

A B+ is usually closer to 90 than to 80... like 87-89.

And yes, the best of the best of the best usually gun for As (ostensibly 90 or higher) in *every* class, or at least the classes relating to the major.

It's easier to do in America than in other countries... grading isn't as harsh here. The corollary is that you have to get better grades to be on the top.

What is a B+ in an upper division physics class?

A B+ is a letter grade commonly used in college to indicate a grade between 87-89%. It is considered a good grade and signifies that the student has a solid understanding of the material.

Is a B+ a good grade in an upper division physics class?

Yes, a B+ is considered a good grade in an upper division physics class. It shows that the student has a strong understanding of the material and has performed well on assignments and exams.

What is the average grade for an upper division physics class?

The average grade for an upper division physics class can vary depending on the institution and the specific class. However, typically a B+ or B is considered the average grade for upper division physics classes.

Will a B+ in an upper division physics class affect my GPA?

Yes, a B+ will affect your GPA. A B+ is equivalent to a 3.3 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Your GPA is calculated based on all of your grades, so a B+ will have an impact on your overall GPA.

What can I do to improve my grade in an upper division physics class?

There are several ways to improve your grade in an upper division physics class. Some suggestions include attending lectures and taking thorough notes, completing practice problems and seeking help from your professor or a tutor, and staying organized and on top of assignments and exams.