How do i find the difference in voltage from point A to B

In summary, the resistor values are 18, 10, and 8 ohms, and the voltage difference between points A and B is -15/23 volts.
Dell
i have the following
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_H4Iz7SmBrbk/Sg_Mj_v4_LI/AAAAAAAAA_c/Egdgr0F8hfY/s720/Untitled.jpg

the numbers are the resistance of the resistors in ohms

and have already found the following

I1=-18/23A
I2=-10/23
I3=8/23

and now need to find the difference in voltage between points A and B,

what i did was take the loop from point A, going clockwise to point B, and i get

2I1 + I3 =1 + v

so i get v=-36/23 +8/23 -1 = -15/23V

but the correct answer is meant to be -67/23V, and i notice tat if i had said v=-36/23 -8/23 -1 i would have reached the correct answer, but i cannot see why there should be a negatice sign on I3 since I3 is positive 8/23 and i chose I3 clockwise

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dell,
To begin with I don't get the same signs as you on the currents. In fact I get all as positive (as shown in your diagram). But I may have the polarity convention on the batteries reversed in which case all the currents would be negative.

Intuitively (assuming I haven't reversed battery convention) the three volt battery outweighs the 1 volt battery which would drive I1 positive. Similarly I3 should be positive and given more resistance in the I3 segment more I1 than -I3 would contribute to I2 making it positive. (assuming I have reversed battery convention this all holds but with pos<->neg).

Remember that the voltages on resistors oppose current flow.

To set up the system to solve for currents I took the Kirchoff's law (sp?)
I2+I3=I1
and the top loop:
3v - 2I1 -1v - 1I2 = 0
and the bottom loop:
1I2 - I3 + 2v - 6I3 = 0

okay, getting there, i seem to have a mistake in my equations,,
i got
I3 = I1 - I2 which is like what you got
7I3 - I1 = -2v for the bottom loop, also like you got
2I1 +I2 = -2v which is opposite sign to what you got

so let's examine the top loop, i took a clockwise loop and chose both I1,I2 to be clockwise, so they will be positive, now i go into 3v's positive side and into 1v's negative so in the end i get
I2+3v+2I1-1v=0
I2+2I1=-2v

but you someohow got the opposite,

never mind, i got it,, thanks

1. What is voltage and how is it measured?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference between two points. It is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter.

2. How do I determine the difference in voltage between two points?

To find the difference in voltage between two points, you will need to use a voltmeter. Connect the positive lead of the voltmeter to point A and the negative lead to point B. The voltmeter will then display the difference in voltage between the two points.

3. Can I calculate the difference in voltage without using a voltmeter?

No, a voltmeter is necessary to measure the difference in voltage between two points. Without it, you will not be able to accurately determine the voltage difference.

4. What factors can affect the difference in voltage between two points?

The difference in voltage between two points can be affected by the resistance in the circuit, the type of material used, and the distance between the two points.

5. Is there a specific unit for measuring voltage difference?

Yes, voltage difference is measured in volts (V). Other units commonly used to measure voltage difference include millivolts (mV) and kilovolts (kV).