Gravity in the Middle of a Planet: Puzzling Questions

• Thread starter cosmicpencil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of gravity at the center of the Earth if one were to dig a hole all the way through it. It is determined that at the center, gravity is zero and if someone were to jump into the hole, they would yo-yo back and forth until air friction slows them down and they become stuck in the middle. There is also a mention of resonance and the time it would take to reach the center. A link is provided for further discussion on the topic.
cosmicpencil
ok, this may seem comical, but here it goes,:blushing:

lets say I dig a hole right trough the planet, ignoring the heat at the core and bla bla bla
and I get to the exact middle of the sphere. how will be the efffect of gravity there, will I get tossed from one side to the other of will I just keep going feeling nothing has changed.Or will I stay stuck in the middle,lets say I trow myself down this hole, will I like pop out the other end then fall back in and pop at the end from where I jumed in? and so on so forth, how would my fall be affected.
thanks again, for shedding some light on my poor understanding of this phenomenone.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you shovely your way to the center of the earth, you will be stuck there. Gravity at the center of the Earth is zero. If you jump into a hole bored all the way through the earth, you will yo-yo back and forth. Air friction will slow you down with each cycle until, once again, you end up stuck in the middle with you.

also you would resonate. the time to reach the center would not depend on the height of your starting point.

1. What is gravity in the middle of a planet?

The gravity in the middle of a planet is the force that pulls all objects towards the center of the planet. This force is a result of the planet's mass and is strongest at the center.

2. Why is gravity in the middle of a planet puzzling?

The gravity in the middle of a planet is puzzling because according to the inverse-square law of gravity, the force of gravity should decrease as you move closer to the center. However, this is not the case and the force of gravity remains constant in the middle of a planet.

3. How is gravity in the middle of a planet measured?

Gravity in the middle of a planet can be measured using a device called a gravimeter, which measures the acceleration due to gravity at a specific location. Scientists also use mathematical models and data from satellites to determine the gravity at the center of a planet.

4. What factors affect gravity in the middle of a planet?

The main factors that affect gravity in the middle of a planet are the mass and density of the planet. The larger the mass and density, the stronger the force of gravity at the center. Other factors such as rotation and composition of the planet may also play a role.

5. How does gravity in the middle of a planet affect life on the surface?

The gravity in the middle of a planet plays a crucial role in creating a stable environment for life on the surface. It helps to keep the planet's atmosphere in place and also affects the planet's climate and tides. Gravity in the middle of a planet also determines the strength of a planet's magnetic field, which protects the planet from harmful solar radiation.