Do you wonder why people get confused?

• Thread starter rockyshephear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary: I'm not sure what. The electric flux is the number of electric field lines passing through an area per unit time.
maverick_starstrider said:
Cross product is actually only defined for 3 and 7 dimensions ;)

You're sure about that? I'm under the impression that in n space, you need n-1 non-orthogonal vectors to define a cross product. My tensor notation is shaky, but I believe wikipedia agrees. It's near the bottom of the article (where stuff gets hard)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, I was thinking of the cross product.|A| |B| sin theta times u hat. My bad. ;)

Summary: Without a test charge there is just a field and no FORCE. Does that include a totallyl empty universe? Once you throw in a charge, then you have force. And when you have a surface you get flux thru the surface, even when the surface is integrated down to a finite point. Sound right?
---
Right, I meant an angle between two vectors, not as a stand alone vector having an angle.
---
Another thought. The same way the sun's rays are depicted as parallel but are not, many diagrams show vectors that seem parallel impinging on a surface. This is not accurate I assume since they come from a point charge and eminate out radially?
---
Thanks for all the time answering my insipid drivel. lol