Beginning high school olympiad mathematics books

In summary, some recommended books for beginning high school olympiad mathematics include "The Art of Problem Solving: Volume 1" by Richard Rusczyk, "Challenging Mathematical Problems with Elementary Solutions" by A. M. Yaglom and I. M. Yaglom, and "Problem-Solving Strategies" by Arthur Engel. There are also several books specifically for olympiad geometry, such as "Euclidean Geometry in Mathematical Olympiads" by Evan Chen, "Geometry Revisited" by H. S. M. Coxeter and S. L. Greitzer, and "Lemmas in Olympiad Geometry" by Titu Andreescu and Cosmin Pohoata. These books
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Polya's How to Solve It is really good. I also recommend The USSR Olympiad Problem Book - some of the problems are insanely difficult, but the solutions are excellent and it's fun to work through.

I would recommend focusing on building a strong foundation in mathematics by practicing fundamental concepts and problem-solving techniques. It is also important to challenge yourself with more advanced problems and seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups. Additionally, I would suggest utilizing past olympiad exams to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked. Remember to approach each problem with a logical and analytical mindset, and to not be discouraged by difficult questions. With dedication and perseverance, I am confident that you can excel in the high school olympiad mathematics competition.

1) What are some recommended books for beginning high school olympiad mathematics?

Some recommended books for beginning high school olympiad mathematics include "The Art of Problem Solving: Volume 1" by Richard Rusczyk, "Challenging Mathematical Problems with Elementary Solutions" by A. M. Yaglom and I. M. Yaglom, and "Problem-Solving Strategies" by Arthur Engel.

2) Are there any books specifically for olympiad geometry?

Yes, there are several books specifically for olympiad geometry, such as "Euclidean Geometry in Mathematical Olympiads" by Evan Chen, "Geometry Revisited" by H. S. M. Coxeter and S. L. Greitzer, and "Lemmas in Olympiad Geometry" by Titu Andreescu and Cosmin Pohoata.

3) Do these books cover all topics tested in high school olympiads?

These books cover a wide range of topics commonly tested in high school olympiads, including algebra, number theory, combinatorics, and geometry. However, it is always recommended to supplement with other resources and practice problems to ensure a thorough understanding of all topics.

4) Can these books help me improve my problem-solving skills?

Yes, these books are specifically designed to help students improve their problem-solving skills in mathematics. They often include challenging problems and strategies for approaching and solving them, which can be applied to other mathematical problems as well.

5) Are there any online resources or forums for discussing olympiad mathematics books?

Yes, there are several online forums and communities dedicated to discussing olympiad mathematics books and problems, such as Art of Problem Solving's online community and the Mathematics Stack Exchange forum. These can be great resources for seeking help and discussing strategies with other students and experts.