Solving a Lab w/ Friction: Need Help!

In summary, the conversation is about a lab where the objective is to determine the coefficient of friction of a red material under different masses on an incline. The initial setup and equipment are described, and the conversation touches on finding the acceleration and force of friction. The formula for calculating the friction force and total mass are also mentioned.
fishfish

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm new the PF and I was wondering if someone could help me with my lab.

physicsab-1.jpg

This was the basic set up of our lab, with one mass being pulled by another mass up an incline. The ramp was placed on a desk while mass B was left to fall towards the ground. What we were supposed to do was dertermine the coefficient of friction of the material ( coloured red ) under mass A for each different run that we did with different materials. I don't really know where to start on this lab, other than finding the acceleration of the system, but what I'm really troubled with is having to find the force of friction on the incline...

For the first run...

mass of block A= 0.185 kg
mass of block B = 0.143 kg
dots on tickertape= 84 dots
time ( estimated from tickertape) = 1.4s

Homework Equations

∑F= Fgy _ Fgx(paralell)
= mygy + mxgsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

∑F= mygy + mxgsinθ
= (0.143kg)(9.8m/s2) + (0.185kg)(-9.8sin16°)
= 0.9 m/s2

And then after this I don't know where to go...

Physics news on Phys.org
fishy welcome to pf!

hi fishfish! fishy welcome to pf! :smile:
fishfish said:
∑F= mygy + mxgsinθ
= (0.143kg)(9.8m/s2) + (0.185kg)(-9.8sin16°)
= 0.9 m/s2

(i assume you're intending to use F = ma to find the acceleration)

you haven't included the formula for the friction force, nor the total mass :wink:

I would suggest starting by reviewing the concept of friction and how it relates to the forces acting on the objects in your lab setup. It may also be helpful to review the equations and principles of Newton's laws of motion. From there, you can begin to analyze the forces acting on the system and determine the force of friction on the incline. You may also want to consider using a force sensor or other equipment to measure the forces more accurately. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with your lab instructor or classmates for guidance and assistance. Good luck with your lab!

What is friction and why is it important to consider in a lab?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of objects sliding against each other. It is important to consider because it can affect the accuracy and precision of measurements in a lab, as well as the overall outcome of an experiment.

How can friction be measured and quantified in a lab?

Friction can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as spring scales, force sensors, and inclined planes. The coefficient of friction, which is a unitless value representing the amount of friction between two surfaces, can also be calculated using the formula μ = F/N, where F is the force required to overcome friction and N is the normal force.

What are some common sources of friction in a lab setting?

Some common sources of friction in a lab setting include the contact between surfaces, air resistance, and the viscosity of liquids. Other factors such as the roughness of surfaces and the weight of objects can also affect friction.

How can friction be reduced or eliminated in a lab?

Friction can be reduced or eliminated by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between surfaces. Another method is to use smoother surfaces or to reduce the weight of objects. In some cases, altering the angle or speed of an object can also reduce friction.

What are some potential errors that can occur when dealing with friction in a lab?

Some potential errors that can occur when dealing with friction in a lab include not properly accounting for the weight of objects, using inaccurate measurements, or not taking into consideration the effects of air resistance. It is also important to ensure that surfaces are clean and free of debris to get accurate results.