PH concentrations, strong acids and water

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pH for a solution with a high concentration of acid. It is mentioned that at such a high concentration, the acid can be safely ignored and the concentration of H+ and OH- in water can be considered neutral. The conversation also refers to the calculation of pH for a strong acid and mentions that it may have been covered in class.
nobahar
Hello!
I was wondering, with questions such as "What is the pH of 0.05 mol dm-3 of HCl?", you specify the pH by simply using the concentration, as it completely dissociates. However, I assume that at such a concentration like this it is not 'pure', and would be present in water. Shouldn't I then have to consider the [H+] and [OH-] concentrations of water?
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are in water, that's what mol/dm3 means.
So in every liter of solution, there is 0.05 mol of HCl. The rest is pure water, which is neutral (in the sense that the concentration of H+ and OH- is equal to great accuracy).

so shouldn't the [H+] introduced be included with the [H+] of the water for an overall pH value?
Sorry, it has not been a good day...

nobahar said:
so shouldn't the [H+] introduced be included with the [H+] of the water for an overall pH value?

If concentration of acid is high enough they can be safely ignored. High enough in this context means more than 5*10-7M.

See calculation of pH of strong acid for more details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, many thanks Compuchip and Borek. I looked into calculating pH, and I have covered it in class, I couldn;t find it mentioned on a site, and I don't think it came up in class, although it may have done...
Once again, many thanks!

1. What is the pH scale and how does it relate to acidity and basicity?

The pH scale is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic, 7 being neutral, and 14 being the most basic. As the concentration of hydrogen ions increases, the pH decreases, making the solution more acidic. Conversely, as the concentration of hydrogen ions decreases, the pH increases, making the solution more basic.

2. What is a strong acid and how does it differ from a weak acid?

A strong acid is a substance that completely dissociates in water, meaning that all of the acid molecules break apart into ions. This results in a high concentration of hydrogen ions, giving the solution a low pH. In contrast, a weak acid only partially dissociates in water, resulting in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions and a higher pH.

3. How does the concentration of strong acids affect the pH of water?

The concentration of strong acids has a direct impact on the pH of water. As more strong acid molecules dissociate, the concentration of hydrogen ions increases, causing the pH to decrease. This is because the hydrogen ions combine with water molecules to form hydronium ions, which are responsible for the acidity of the solution.

4. Can water be considered an acid or a base?

Water can act as both an acid and a base, depending on the substances it is interacting with. In pure water, a small number of molecules dissociate to form hydrogen ions and hydroxide ions, making it slightly acidic and slightly basic. However, when water is in the presence of a strong acid, it can act as a base by accepting hydrogen ions. Similarly, when water is in the presence of a strong base, it can act as an acid by donating hydrogen ions.

5. What is the relationship between pH, strong acids, and the strength of a solution?

The pH of a solution is a measure of its acidity or basicity, while the strength of a solution refers to the concentration of hydrogen ions. In general, the lower the pH, the stronger the acid, and the higher the pH, the weaker the acid. However, the strength of a solution also depends on other factors, such as the concentration and dissociation constant of the acid.