STRACT: Understanding the Complex Conjugate of a Function

In summary, the conjugate of a complex function w\left(z\right)=e^{sin\left(z\right)} is always w\left(z^{*}\right)=e^{sin\left(z^{*}\right)} or w\left(x-iy\right)=e^{sin\left(x-iy\right)}. This can be seen as a definition and further illustrated by the example of e^{i\theta} and its complex conjugate e^{-i\theta}.
leoneri

Homework Statement

I have a complex function

[tex]w\left(z\right)=e^{sin\left(z\right)}[/tex]

What is the conjugate?

2. The attempt at a solution

The conjugate is

[tex]w\left(z^{*}\right)=e^{sin\left(z^{*}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]w\left(x-iy\right)=e^{sin\left(x-iy\right)}[/tex]

My question is, is my answer correct? If I wrong, could you tell me what is the right answer and how to reach this correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
leoneri said:

Homework Statement

I have a complex function

[tex]w\left(z\right)=e^{sin\left(z\right)}[/tex]

What is the conjugate?

2. The attempt at a solution

The conjugate is

[tex]w\left(z^{*}\right)=e^{sin\left(z^{*}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]w\left(x-iy\right)=e^{sin\left(x-iy\right)}[/tex]

My question is, is my answer correct? If I wrong, could you tell me what is the right answer and how to reach this correct answer?

Your answer is flawless!

AB

Thanks. I was sure about that, but one of my friend said I was wrong. So, is there a way to proof it? Because I see it as a definition that whenever there is a complex function [tex]w\left(z\right)=w\left(x+iy}\right)[/tex], then the conjugate is always [tex]w\left(z^{*}\right)=w\left(x-iy\right)[/tex]. I would be more than happy if someone can show me or point me to a proof that the above definition is always true.

But I think you need
W*(z)
and not
W(z*)

Ask your advisor B. ...L.P. !

Last edited:
leoneri said:
Thanks. I was sure about that, but one of my friend said I was wrong. So, is there a way to proof it? Because I see it as a definition that whenever there is a complex function [tex]w\left(z\right)=w\left(x+iy}\right)[/tex], then the conjugate is always [tex]w\left(z^{*}\right)=w\left(x-iy\right)[/tex]. I would be more than happy if someone can show me or point me to a proof that the above definition is always true.

Since that is a definition, we can't do so much to give a real proof. But you can imagine the case involving [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex]. In this case, using the Euler relation one can see

[tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)[/tex],
[tex]e^{i(-\theta)}=\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)[/tex] (by the symmetry of cos and anti-symmetry of sin wrt the change of the sign of [tex]\theta[/tex]),

so

[tex]e^{i\theta}e^{i(-\theta)}=[\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)][\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)] = 1.[/tex].

Here you can understand that the result of the product of the function [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] and its complex conjugate leads to the correct answer 1 just by looking at the first part of the equality. The second part confirms the complex conjugation of [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] and [tex]e^{-i\theta}[/tex]. Thus a change in the sign of [tex]i[/tex] makes the function be transferred into its complex conjugate phase.

AB

Last edited:

1. What is a complex function conjugate?

A complex function conjugate is a mathematical operation that involves changing the sign of the imaginary component of a complex function. It is denoted by adding a bar or an asterisk above the function, such as z̄ or z*.

2. What is the purpose of taking the complex function conjugate?

The purpose of taking the complex function conjugate is to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. It also helps in finding the real and imaginary parts of a complex function.

3. How is the complex function conjugate related to the complex conjugate of a number?

The complex function conjugate is closely related to the complex conjugate of a number. Taking the complex conjugate of a number involves changing the sign of its imaginary component, just like taking the complex function conjugate.

4. What is the difference between a complex function and a complex function conjugate?

A complex function is a mathematical function that involves complex numbers, while a complex function conjugate is a manipulation of that function by taking the conjugate of the complex numbers in the function.

5. How is the complex function conjugate used in real-world applications?

The complex function conjugate is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to solve complex equations, simplify calculations, and analyze complex systems. It also has applications in signal processing and digital communications.