Converting laser fwhm bandwidth in m to hz

In summary, the conversation is about converting the full width at half maximum (FWHM) bandwidth of a laser from meters to hertz. The equation for frequency is mentioned and there is a question about whether the refractive index of the medium should be included in the conversion. The dimensions of the laser cavity and the FWHM gain bandwidth are also provided. The final question is about finding the longitudinal mode spacing and number of lasing modes, with a preference for frequency over wavelength for the spacing measurement. The formula provided for the conversion is Df=c*Dlambda/Lambda^2.
melcicero
hi, pls can someone help me with converting FWHM bandwidth of a laser from metres to hertz

Physics news on Phys.org
Just from the dimensions
frequency (1/s)= speed (m/s) / wavelength (m)

thank you but i didn't think you could directly convert fwhm bandwidth just using that, when i did it i got a bandwidth of region 10E17 Hz -does that seem a bit high from a ruby laser cavity length 0.1m?

If i post the whole question it might help. Also should i include the refractive index of the medium ie c/n=f lambda, if this is the right way to do it?

for the 0.1m cavity, n =1.8, FWHM gain bandwidth is 2E-9m
qu is: what is the longitudinal mode spacing and the number of lasing modes? i could give the spacing in either freq or wavelength but its easier to do i think in freq that's why i wanted to convert. many thanks if you can help.

you can use the following formula

Df=c*Dlambda/Lambda^2

To convert FWHM bandwidth of a laser from meters to hertz, we need to know the wavelength of the laser. This is because the FWHM bandwidth is directly related to the wavelength of the laser. Once we have the wavelength, we can use the formula:

FWHM bandwidth (Hz) = Speed of light (m/s) / Wavelength (m)

For example, if the laser has a wavelength of 532 nm, we can convert it to meters by dividing by 1 billion (since 1 nanometer = 1 billionth of a meter). This gives us a wavelength of 5.32 x 10^-7 meters.

Now, we can plug this into the formula:

FWHM bandwidth (Hz) = 3 x 10^8 m/s / 5.32 x 10^-7 m

This gives us a FWHM bandwidth of approximately 5.64 x 10^14 Hz.

It is important to note that this conversion assumes a Gaussian distribution for the laser beam. If the laser beam has a different distribution, the conversion may be slightly different. Additionally, FWHM bandwidth is a measure of the width of the spectral distribution, not the actual frequency of the laser. To determine the actual frequency, we would need to know the specific laser source and its operating parameters.

1. How do I convert laser fwhm bandwidth from meters to hertz?

To convert laser fwhm bandwidth from meters (m) to hertz (Hz), you can use the formula:
1 Hz = (speed of light in vacuum) / (wavelength in meters).
This will give you the conversion factor to multiply by your fwhm bandwidth in meters to get the equivalent value in hertz.

2. Why is it important to convert laser fwhm bandwidth from m to Hz?

Converting laser fwhm bandwidth from meters to hertz is important because it allows you to characterize the laser's frequency domain performance. It is also necessary for comparing laser systems with different wavelengths and for understanding the spectral width of a laser pulse.

3. How do I measure the fwhm bandwidth of a laser?

The fwhm bandwidth of a laser can be measured using a spectrometer or a monochromator. These instruments can measure the spectral width of the laser's output in terms of wavelength or frequency. The fwhm bandwidth can also be calculated from the laser's pulse duration using the Fourier transform relationship.

4. Is there a difference between the fwhm bandwidth and the spectral bandwidth of a laser?

Yes, there is a difference between the fwhm bandwidth and the spectral bandwidth of a laser. The fwhm bandwidth refers to the full width at half maximum of the laser's spectral distribution, while the spectral bandwidth refers to the width of the laser's spectral distribution at a specific intensity level. The fwhm bandwidth is a more commonly used metric for characterizing laser bandwidth.

5. Can I convert laser fwhm bandwidth from m to Hz for any type of laser?

Yes, the conversion from laser fwhm bandwidth in meters to hertz can be applied to any type of laser that emits a continuous spectrum of light. It is a universal conversion factor that takes into account the speed of light and the wavelength of the laser's output. However, it may not be applicable for lasers that produce a pulsed output with a non-continuous spectrum, as the fwhm bandwidth may not accurately represent the laser's spectral width in this case.